Sunrise over Derwent

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sunrise over Derwent

Postby johnd on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:06 pm

Another in my series of Derwent reflections.
This morning was a brilliant, but cold, sunrise.

Cheers
John
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
johnd

Postby Ordinary K on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:24 am

Hmmm, strong colour certainly makes for an eye-catcher.

Personally I'd like to see a bit more fore- or mid-ground interest, a-la the sticks in one of your other shots. Even adding a smidge to the bottom (maybe 1cm or so, if available pre-cropping) might work?

But hey, that's just me - the shot's a keeper as it stands. BTW, Have you encountered this mob:
http://www.hobartphoto.org.au/
-? Possibly of interest given dSLRUsers doesn't seem to have enough Hobart-based photogs to organise get-togethers.

Keith
Ordinary K

Postby TassieD on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:29 am

Ordinary K wrote:Hmmm, strong colour certainly makes for an eye-catcher.

Personally I'd like to see a bit more fore- or mid-ground interest, a-la the sticks in one of your other shots. Even adding a smidge to the bottom (maybe 1cm or so, if available pre-cropping) might work?

But hey, that's just me - the shot's a keeper as it stands. BTW, Have you encountered this mob:
-? Possibly of interest given dSLRUsers doesn't seem to have enough Hobart-based photogs to organise get-togethers.

Keith

Hi Keith,

There are at least three of us, how many do you need for a get together?

Cheers
David
TassieD

Postby terminator on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:08 pm

wonderful colours and mood.
Great capture
Termy,
http://www.glennlegge.com
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)
terminator

Postby Ordinary K on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:29 pm

TassieD wrote:Hi Keith,

Cheers
David

Oh... Probably at least three... Otherwise people might talk... :D
JohnD, anyone else interested?

As to when/where:
when: I'd say give it a fortnight or so to give folk a chance to hear about it.
where: I hate to suggest Constitution Dock around dawn, but it IS a target-rich environment and easy to find. Unless you know of an upcoming motorsport event we can crash?

(If this thread gets any interest we should probably look at moving it to Shooting and meeting ideas)

Keith
Ordinary K

Postby TassieD on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:06 pm

Ordinary K wrote:
TassieD wrote:Hi Keith,

Cheers
David

Oh... Probably at least three... Otherwise people might talk... :D
JohnD, anyone else interested?

As to when/where:
when: I'd say give it a fortnight or so to give folk a chance to hear about it.
where: I hate to suggest Constitution Dock around dawn, but it IS a target-rich environment and easy to find. Unless you know of an upcoming motorsport event we can crash?

(If this thread gets any interest we should probably look at moving it to Shooting and meeting ideas)

Keith

All is quiet on the Motorsport side of things. The dock at dawn sounds good to me.

Cheers
David
TassieD

Postby johnd on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:59 pm

Thanks Termy and Keith.

I went back this morning to do a sunrise shot with the sticks, but the sunrise was non existant. I go past the same spot each day on my way to work, so I'm keeping the camera in the car.

As for a Constituation Docks at dawn meet, I think that's a great idea. There's a couple other keen DSLR people that I work with, so I reckon we can organise something for, say, 2 weeks out. I'll talk to them.

Mr Admin: could we please move the relavent part of this thread to the appropriate place and call it EOI: Hobart's Constitution Dock at Dawn?

Cheers
John
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
johnd

Postby johnd on Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:01 pm

Ordinary K wrote:BTW, Have you encountered this mob:

Keith

I keep meaning to get in contact with them. I think they meet one Thursday a month and have some good outings as well. I just haven't got round to it.

Cheers
John
johnd

Postby Ordinary K on Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:11 pm

johnd wrote:Mr Admin: could we please move the relavent part of this thread to ...

Why trouble the Admin guys? New thread here.

cheers

K
Ordinary K

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques