Oh no..is my D70 sick?

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Oh no..is my D70 sick?

Postby Geoff on Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:14 pm

Hello everyone, and welcome to the new users..
Has anybody had the shutter screen itself lag or stick? It has become a very intermittent 'problem'..i take a snap and then it doesn't make the full 'click' noise...and 'err' comes up in the display..if I wait a second or press the button again..it rights itself..I am extremely reluctant to send it off to Nikon (simply cos I don't want to be without 'cameron' for a long time!) but feel it may need it. What's the best way of sending back? Going back to my point of purchase or just couriering it myself? (i.e paying for a courier). Thanks in advance,

Geoff.
http://www.pbase.com/d70geoff
Geoff

Re: Oh no..is my D70 sick?

Postby birddog114 on Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:25 pm

Geoff wrote:Hello everyone, and welcome to the new users..
Has anybody had the shutter screen itself lag or stick? It has become a very intermittent 'problem'..i take a snap and then it doesn't make the full 'click' noise...and 'err' comes up in the display..if I wait a second or press the button again..it rights itself..I am extremely reluctant to send it off to Nikon (simply cos I don't want to be without 'cameron' for a long time!) but feel it may need it. What's the best way of sending back? Going back to my point of purchase or just couriering it myself? (i.e paying for a courier). Thanks in advance,

Geoff.

Geoff,
Same as my D70 at first few months, around 5000 shots, send it back by driving to Parramatta Rd, Lidcombe, that's the safest way and it will take minimum of 5 working days or 2-3 weeks, depend on how busy they are and availabilty of parts. To return to POP, it will take longer and you can't personaly tell the Service Tech. what was wrong, same as when you pick it up after repair, you want to test it prior to leave their premises. Otherwise you'll waste your time to send it back if you're not happy.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:03 pm

Geoff,
Try to reset the cam, if anything improve? or change to the 70-300G?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Matt. K on Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:20 pm

OK Let's work this thing out. You don't say what lens you are using but I want you to remove the lens and try another. If you don't have another lens I want you to look at the little lever inside the camera throat that moves uo and down every time you take a pic. Does it seem bent? Is the little lever on the lens that mates up to the lever in the camera bent? Let me know what happens...but do try another lens or fire the camera without a lens and see if you have the same problem.
Also...what lens are you using?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Geoff on Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:40 pm

Hello...
I'm using the kit 18-70mm lens. At this stage the problem is very periodic and intermittent..I have the 70-300mm as well and I havent' had problems with the 70300mm lens but it may only be a matter of time. There is nothing out of the ordinary when I look in it. I'm feeling very sad tho! Cheers.

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:42 pm

Geoff wrote:Hello...
I'm using the kit 18-70mm lens. At this stage the problem is very periodic and intermittent..I have the 70-300mm as well and I havent' had problems with the 70300mm lens but it may only be a matter of time. There is nothing out of the ordinary when I look in it. I'm feeling very sad tho! Cheers.

Geoff.

It's worth a trip to visit Maxwell, don't leave it too long, how long did you have the cam?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Geoff on Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:56 pm

Since June 20 of this year. Thanx Birdy.
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:03 pm

Geoff wrote:Since June 20 of this year. Thanx Birdy.

Well, plenty of time, but try now otherwise Xmas nad holiday seasons you won't have Cameron with you. Sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:10 pm

Geoff,
if you have any problem with Maxwell, please let me know, I can help.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Geoff on Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:03 pm

Birddog - you're ability and ease with which you offer to help people is humbling..don't change..and thanx.
Geoff

Postby wahr42 on Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:17 pm

Hi,
Bought my camera early July, I've taken about 7000 shots, went on a holiday(amazing how trigger happy you can be), and had about 5 lockups like this just recently, very scary to start with. Cam still seems to work fine but took it to the repair shop just in case. They said they "might need to replace some parts" haven't heard back yet, hopefully it won't take too long....

Been reading more and more cases like this on other forums and makes me think that there may be some weak components. I hope not for all you guys.

I have dust inside the kit lens too, but they say ya just have to accept that. Not to fazed now but still don't like to see it there.

I'll keep ya posted.
wahr42

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:41 pm

wahr42 wrote:Hi,
Bought my camera early July, I've taken about 7000 shots, went on a holiday(amazing how trigger happy you can be), and had about 5 lockups like this just recently, very scary to start with. Cam still seems to work fine but took it to the repair shop just in case. They said they "might need to replace some parts" haven't heard back yet, hopefully it won't take too long....

Been reading more and more cases like this on other forums and makes me think that there may be some weak components. I hope not for all you guys.

I have dust inside the kit lens too, but they say ya just have to accept that. Not to fazed now but still don't like to see it there.

I'll keep ya posted.

Did they send it back to Maxwell? I think they have to.
Mine took 2 weeks, was waiting for parts.
Holiday Seasons is around the corner, can't live without it!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Geoff on Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:38 pm

Hmm..my camera is behaving itself lately - over the last week or so.. maybe it was scared with the threat of going to the 'doctors'..hehe.
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:40 pm

Geoff wrote:Hmm..my camera is behaving itself lately - over the last week or so.. maybe it was scared with the threat of going to the 'doctors'..hehe.

Glad to hear! Please tell your "cameron" you're going to send him to the dentist with a mechanic's plier!!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

It's happening again..off to the doctors..

Postby Geoff on Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:53 am

Yep..sadly it's happening again..I took a wav file of the problem, and Leigh has kindly put it on his website.

http://www.leighlo.com/random/files/d70fault.wav - listen carefully to the fourth (4th) click..it sounds to me like the shutter isn't opening/closing (and the 'err' occuring too)..off to Lidcome I think..boo hoo..I am VERY sad, nearly depressed! Yes - this is occuring on both of my lenses...18-70 and 70-300G :( .

Geoff
Geoff

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 am

I'm not exactly sure why anyone would think this is a lens issue. It sounds like a body issue to me... I've seen it occur on medium format bodies before... but it makes me wonder... is this an intermittent D70 issue and are we all going to have problems like it?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

dpreview...

Postby Geoff on Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:36 am

I posted this question on dpreview..awaiting replies...cheers.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=10575289

Cheers,

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Onyx on Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:40 am

Sorry to hear Cameron's ill... hopefully the Nikon doctors will treat the disease. ;)
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:28 am

Geoff,
As mentioned earlier in this thread, the best way is bring it to Maxwell ASAP. The delay of repairing (Parts + their work flow) NOW ARE VERY HIGH. The more you wait the more you be parted away with Cameron, especially with the Holiday Seasons is just around the corner, luckily you're living not a distance from them!!!!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:52 am

I wonder if Nikon have encountered this problem on many of their units and if so, if they've figured out a way to fix it for future shipments of the D70.
I'd also be curious to see if this sort of problem occurs on models like the D1 or D2 series or a D100, and if not, if this is a result of the cheaper construction that is basically implied when this competes against the 300D.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:00 am

Nnnnsic wrote:I wonder if Nikon have encountered this problem on many of their units and if so, if they've figured out a way to fix it for future shipments of the D70.
I'd also be curious to see if this sort of problem occurs on models like the D1 or D2 series or a D100, and if not, if this is a result of the cheaper construction that is basically implied when this competes against the 300D.

It happened on all sort of DSLR not only Nikon or only D70, Canon, Sony, Milnolta,etc... Geoff might have a bad copy but better he discovered it earlier than later.

I spotted a new flashy BMW 535 yesterday morning on Centernary Drive with its bonnet up and NRMA Road Service ute was next to it!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Gone to maxwell

Postby Geoff on Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:32 pm

I went for a drive out to Maxwell @ Lidcombe today and it took me a lot less to get there than I first imagined..from door to door it was 36.5km's..they were extremely helpful and told me I should have Cameron back within 8-10 working days...could be worse I guess..hehe.
Geoff

Re: Gone to maxwell

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:08 pm

Geoff wrote:I went for a drive out to Maxwell @ Lidcombe today and it took me a lot less to get there than I first imagined..from door to door it was 36.5km's..they were extremely helpful and told me I should have Cameron back within 8-10 working days...could be worse I guess..hehe.

Glad to hear!!!! I was around that complex this morning, wish Cameron will getting well soon!!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:59 pm

Geoff, hope Cameron has a speedy recovery. I think someone mentioned that Maxwells usually quote longer, and deliver back quicker than they quote.

Good luck
Glen

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:03 pm

I wish that there was some way that you could pre-book your place in their queue. Then rather than have your equipment sitting on a shelf in their workshop waiting for its turn to be repaired, it can sit on a shelf in your home (or perhaps still be used by you) whilst awaiting its turn in their workshop.

Like, does it matter where it spends its time waiting ?

I suspect not.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:03 pm

Glen wrote:Geoff, hope Cameron has a speedy recovery. I think someone mentioned that Maxwells usually quote longer, and deliver back quicker than they quote.

Good luck

That's right!!! they normally quoted maximum of waiting time but they will call earlier but depend on, if there's availability of parts
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:45 pm

Get well soon Cameron :(

Best wishes!!!!! :wink:

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby wahr42 on Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:39 pm

Hi everyone,

Just an update since my last posting, I've heard.....almost nothing helpful from the experts! My last enquiry was to Nikon tech support (pretty sure it's Maxwell), who said (and I quote) "they are producing over 2 million units a month and this is the first time they'd heard of this problem". Apparently they shipped over 10,000 units to Aust now!

He then went on to say that SLR cameras can, over their lifetime, produce these problems, but he hasn't heard of any large scale reporting of faults. (This helps my confidence a bit!).

My main gripe is that my local authorized repair shop are either not willing or not able to tell me exactly what went wrong or even what parts (that they are still waiting for...) they are replacing!! I think that they may just replace a whole section, but I'd like to know what actually went wrong with it. I have asked many times but unfortunately you don't seem to be able to talk directly to the technicians. Don't get me wrong I enjoy using this camera, but this sad lack of knowledge is making me lose my confidence with Nikon. :( Although I'm not sure you'd get better service elsewhere with other brands, seems a sad state of the world these days.

If anyone else has had their camera repaired, could you tell me what was replaced or caused the problem?

Hopefully the parts will arrive next week.
wahr42

Hopefully sooner rather than later

Postby bago100 on Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:18 pm

Hi Wahr42

May I send sincere get well wishes to Cameron :D

You can probably blow the following argument out of tomorrow's election but I just get the feeling that products these days are not manufactured to last a long time like they once used to be.

I can remember as a child in the 50's that anything made in Japan was crap. Then all of a sudden Japanese industry implemented uncompromising quality control and anything Made in Japan was regarded and expected to be top quality. This was one of the factors that led to the resurgence of Japanese industry in the 1960's and 1970's.
Nowadays, Japanese Companies have moved manufacturing plants offshore and, in my opinion the quality of Japanese branded products sadly has become quite variable and not as reliable as they once were.

It seems that companies no longer have 100% testing for each part and again before each assembled product is shipped and it also seems that built in obsolescence is more desirable rather than the goal of producing something that will last for a long time. They ship knowing a small percentage of products are faulty and will require attention but this is cheaper than quality testing every product before shipping.

Nothing lasts forever though, but I doubt if we'll get 23 years out of our current refrigerator, 27 years out of our colour tv, and 17 years out of our washing machine like we once did before they failed.

These days, things are built to last, but not too long though!

Anyway, may someone win the election tomorrow! :shock:

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby gstark on Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:52 am

wahr42 wrote:Hi everyone,

Just an update since my last posting, I've heard.....almost nothing helpful from the experts! My last enquiry was to Nikon tech support (pretty sure it's Maxwell), who said (and I quote) "they are producing over 2 million units a month and this is the first time they'd heard of this problem".

That sounds like bullshit to me. There's plenty of evidence to the contrary - just ask Geoff, whose camera is with Maxwell right now for this issue, for starters. At this time, I'd be asking to speak with somebody who's head is not stuck up their arse, and is aware of what is really happening in the real world.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raydar on Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:04 pm

gstark wrote:That sounds like bullshit to me. There's plenty of evidence to the contrary - just ask Geoff, whose camera is with Maxwell right now for this issue, for starters. At this time, I'd be asking to speak with somebody who's head is not stuck up their arse, and is aware of what is really happening in the real world.

Well said Gay, my thoughts to a tea!!!!! :shock: 8)
I'd be asking a few "Q" to the man at the top, see what he has to say about this problem :? :?:

Cheers
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby wahr42 on Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:06 pm

Well guys, thanks for the support! As soon as I get my cam back I will let you know everything I can wring out of them. :twisted:

Thanks Bago, you know exactly how I feel, obviously this is not the first time I've been let down... "Built to last" only a slogan. It's like pulling teeth when you talk to these people too, they seem to be experts at avoiding simple questions. I can only guess they are scared of some sort of litigation or something... way of the world indeed. BTW, I read your other post re: dry weather. Around/in Brissie it is scorching, I hate to see the forest burning, especially when it is such desperate conditions. :cry:

I too can't wait to see the end of the election material!!!

Also to Gary, I knew the guy was fobbing me off, I might have to show him to the internet, this forum and dpreview(plenty of cases there too.)

disclamer: (as you can see I have too much time on my hands without camera, unfortunately politics doesn't fill the void) :wink:
wahr42

Postby gstark on Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:01 pm

wahr42 wrote:Also to Gary, I knew the guy was fobbing me off, I might have to show him to the internet, this forum and dpreview(plenty of cases there too.)

Sadly, while they think they can get away with it, they do.

I'm not one who readily accepts second rate (lack of) service however, and if a person even shows me the slightest disrespect, then they're likely to be in trouble.

Example: today, at the polling booths, i refused, as I always do, to accept any how to vote paraphenalia. The Greens helpe was a bit miffed over this, and made a meek (but disrespectful) comment that his party matched the colour of my shirt. Were that a regular client relationship, I would have been on the phone to someone very senior within his party, complaining about his inappropriate behaviour, and seeking an official apology.

I don't need to take shit from anyone, and I refuse to.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raydar on Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:45 pm

gstark wrote:I don't need to take shit from anyone, and I refuse to.

We are one in the same Gary!!!!

This is not an option for me.

Cheers
Raydar

No!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Geoff on Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:09 pm

I've been asleep all day (as I work 12 hour nights)..anyway..Maxwell rang to inform me (through my fiance) that they have to order 'parts' from Japan and it could be between 2-4 weeks before they arrive...NO! I am absolutely distraught!! What will I do? Who will I turn to? I'm going to go crazy without Cameron for that long...NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geoff.
Geoff

Re: No!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby birddog114 on Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:35 pm

Geoff wrote:I've been asleep all day (as I work 12 hour nights)..anyway..Maxwell rang to inform me (through my fiance) that they have to order 'parts' from Japan and it could be between 2-4 weeks before they arrive...NO! I am absolutely distraught!! What will I do? Who will I turn to? I'm going to go crazy without Cameron for that long...NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geoff.

Geoff,
Am sorry to hear that, but as I mentioned earlier, parts are vital for your Cameron and normally, Maxwell has to wait for them coming from o/s, I've been down that road before that why I have 3 cam's bodies with me and NO FEAR anymore if one of them should go to Lidcombe.
Lucky you, this faults happened long before Xmas and Holiday Seasons, if that happened by the end of Oct. you won't be able to see Cameron in late January.
Hope time goes by quickly for you and healthy Cameron will back to your hand soon.

P.S: On the returning of Cameron, I advise you ask Maxwell Service Dept, have to disclose the nature of repair on their worksheet, if it happens again with the same problem then you can ask them a new replacement unit.

If there's any needs of a camera for shooting while Cameron away, I'm willing to loan you my D100 for few days.
Birddog114
birddog114

Re: No!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby bago100 on Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:54 pm

Geoff wrote:they have to order 'parts' from Japan and it could be between 2-4 weeks before they arrive
Geoff.

Geoff

The October edition of Choice Magazine says on page 7 and I quote:

"The Trade Practices act says that if a manufacturer or importer supplies manufactured goods, and facilities for repair aren't reasonably available to consumers, the corporation is liable to compensate them for loss"

Given the popularity of the D70 in Australia one could probably reasonably argue that parts should be available and 2-4 weeks delay is not reasonable and therefore you should be compensated for your loss of Cameron. Maybe a loan Cameron would be in order here.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:03 pm

Geoff,

What Graham says ...

And point out to Maxwell's that the absence of spare parts is nothing to do with the failure of the camera or the warreanty work required, but is simply a fact of a management decision they have made.

While it's not for you to pass judgement on the quality (or lack of) of that management decision, you are now being held ransom to the results of that management decision (to not carry adequate parts inventory) and not as a directg result of the camera's failure.

Putting it another way, if the parts were on hand, would the camera now be repaired? If the answer to that question is yes, then clearly they need to issue you with a loaner, and I would be asking to speak with senior management if they refuse this reasonable request.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:49 pm

Is it a confirmation from Maxwell that the D70 is having problem frequently with shutter release, therefore they're running out of part locally? if yes, then there's a case for Fair Trading to look into it. BTW, do you know what parts are related to shutter and shutter release? If this is the case then Cameron will have a major operation and most major internal parts will be replaced. Most of the cam will be sent back to Thailand for major repair but they keep their mouth shut. Maxwell does not have enough facilities and can't handle major operation.
I knew one of my customer had his D2H with many hot pixels (around 15 spot dead pixels and could not remap) same as metering problem, he had to wait 6 week to get it back and am sure they didn't fix here.

It's also same as the Harddisc drive (Seagate/ Maxtor/ Hitachi/ Fujitsu), their local offices have to ship back to Singapore/ Thailand for replacement.

To get parts from overseas by major Company like Nikon, Canon, Intel etc, parts will arrive Sydney within 2-4 working days, perhaps earlier same as they shipped their Cameras and lenses.

I had a problem with my Tamron 90Di, dust in the brand new lens after open the box, Maxwell send it back to NewZealand for new replacement, cos Tamron has office in Newzealand but not in Australia.

My thought is difference:
Waiting for parts is just an excuse! perhaps they're waiting for the reply from Nikon Headquater in Japan about this problem, if there's known problems and limitations, then they have to recall all the D70 as same other products that sold in Australia (Fair Trading Corporation). That what they do not want to broadcast.

Geoff, you may have a brand new replacement Cameron!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:23 am

I can sympathise wil all this talk about waiting for replacement parts for repair... the frustration of those seven weeks waiting for my then 4 week old Compaq laptop to be repaired, I wouldn't wish on anyone!
Onyx

This forum gets better and better

Postby Geoff on Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:27 am

Guys,
Just wanted to say a huge thanx for your input..I just got in from work and read your comments and yep..2-4 weeks just to wait for parts seems a bit strange..so I will wait until 9am (if I can stay awake) and call them..I will let you know how I get on. Again..thanx :)

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Greg B on Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:46 am

gstark wrote:
Sadly, while they think they can get away with it, they do.

I'm not one who readily accepts second rate (lack of) service however, and if a person even shows me the slightest disrespect, then they're likely to be in trouble.

- - - snip - - -

I don't need to take shit from anyone, and I refuse to.

Gary, you have hit the nail on the head, a number of retailers and service providers (or perhaps, their employees) will take the easiest way out if they are allowed to. For every person who demands fair and reasonable service, there are probably several who feel that they can't do anything, and go away. This is victory for the service provider/retailer - although somewhat shallow because of the ill-will created.

I have dug the heels in on a number of occasions on a number of issues, and had many more successes than failures. (For those of you who find this difficult, read "When I Say No I Feel Guilty" by Manuel J Smith - it is very helpful in providing you with the tools to reasonably and effectively demand your rights)

I secretly enjoy the challenge sometimes. :)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Ok..here's what happened...

Postby Geoff on Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:19 am

Ok..got through to the Service Manager, told him I wasn't entirely impressed with the situation (I remained calm and polite and all times, but remained equally assertive)..told him I was surprised that it was going to take up to 4 weeks to get a part into the country that should be readily available for a camera of it's kind and the production rate in which it is being made..he said he wasn't responsible for the distribution of 'spare parts' out of Nikon Japan and that they had specified shipment times of when things were sent out. I told him that 4 weeks was unreasonable and that it would be appropriate to supply me with a replace camera - his response was that they didn't have the facilities to do this nor have they ever done this...

I asked him exactly which part was required and it is the 'apperture control unit, which is the sub assembly controls on the stop down lever' which doesn't actually mean a lot to me..so I had no chance but to take his word for it. (no reason for him not to tell the truth I guess here)..

I then reminded him (politely again) about the trade pracitces act that 'if a manufacturer or importer supplies manufactured goods, and facilities for repair aren't reasonably available to consumers, the corporation is liable to compensate them for loss" . He said that was subjective to what was 'reasonably available' and that all circumstances are different...at this stage he got slightly heated up about it all and told me that if all companies stocked every single part for every product they'd go broke very quickly..

He went on to say that they have had this part on order for nearly one month (one month tomorrow)..so I asked him if it was a conitnuuing problem with in the camera, his response was that 'we've seen a handful of cameras with this particular issue'. And 'if Nikon Japan have this part in stock then it will be at Maxwell within a week'..

I asked him to find out if Nikon Japan had it in stock but he said that it could take a few days to work that out...grrr!

So..it's been left for him to contact me again and let me know if they (Nikon Japan) have it in stock..wish me luck, and thanks again for all your continued support.

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby bago100 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:00 am

Good try Geoff

The point is though, that if manufacturers sell products in Australia then they should also have a sufficient supply of spare parts, or they should quality control their product to the extent that spare parts are most unlikely to be needed.
Of course, having spare part inventory is all part of the price we pay. If we buy a product, then we also buy the warranty and in buying that we also buy the expectation that they can fix the broken bits and that means having spare part inventory.
Granted Maxwell is not Nikon, but they are their Australian agent but you could question the level of co-operation that exists between them both and suggest, somewhat mischieviously, that maybe Nikon would be open to an offer to set up a competing Australian agent. :D

I suppose you could let it go and grin and bear it or you could contact the Trade Practices Commission and see what they have to say.

You could also have a look at your State laws and see if there is a Sale of Goods Act, or Fair Trading Act that deals with fitness of purpose. If your camera is fairly new and not been used much you might be able to mount a fitness of purpose argument and say that the camera you bought is not fit for the purpose and therefore should never have been sold to you because you wanted a camera that can take a reasonable quantity of photos, and ask for a replacement that is fit for the purpose (i.e. take photos)

At the end of the day, it always becomes the little guys against the big guys, and big nearly always wins but if a brand gets a reputation for unreliability and poor quality then prices (and profits) for that brand can fall quite quickly.

Still, I do admire you keeping your cool and arguing rationally - that's the way to go! :D The people that you talk to are often powerless to help, so maybe you could ask to speak with senior management or write a letter of complaint.

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby Glen on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:14 am

Good luck, Geoff. One point worth making is that sometimes manufacturers throw in an extra unit per hundred so there is always a full selection of spare parts available. A friend used to import a mitsubishi product which had 2 out of 100 allocated as spare parts. Might be worth suggesting they take a part from a new camera for you while they are waiting. Also maybe someone from the pro ranks might be able to tell you if loaners are a reality or not? As Birddog said, good that it happened now and not Christmas.
Glen

Re: Ok..here's what happened...

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:28 am

Geoff,

Well done!

Geoff wrote:Ok..got through to the Service Manager, told him I wasn't entirely impressed with the situation (I remained calm and polite and all times, but remained equally assertive)

This is most important. It's also often very difficult, but it helps hobody if you become emotional or less than professional. Again, well done.

..he said he wasn't responsible for the distribution of 'spare parts' out of Nikon Japan

That is not your problem.

I told him that 4 weeks was unreasonable and that it would be appropriate to supply me with a replace camera - his response was that they didn't have the facilities to do this nor have they ever done this...

Again, that's avoiding the point. Just because something has never been done before isn't a justfication for continuing that course of inaction. If they don't have the facilities, then perhaps they need to consider installing them.

I asked him exactly which part was required and it is the 'apperture control unit, which is the sub assembly controls on the stop down lever' which doesn't actually mean a lot to me..so I had no chance but to take his word for it. (no reason for him not to tell the truth I guess here)..

Correct. I would accept this at face value.

I then reminded him (politely again) about the trade pracitces act that 'if a manufacturer or importer supplies manufactured goods, and facilities for repair aren't reasonably available to consumers, the corporation is liable to compensate them for loss" . He said that was subjective to what was 'reasonably available' and that all circumstances are different...at this stage he got slightly heated up about it all and told me that if all companies stocked every single part for every product they'd go broke very quickly..

And again, he's avoiding the issue. Maxwell's charge us a premium - when buying the hardware - so that we gain the benefit of a genuine factory warranty. This is a cost, for them, of carrying out their business.

If they're not prepared to bear this burden, then they should not even be in the business!

Otherwise, why should we bother purchasing from them?

Surely they have a duty in terms of protecting and enhancing their exclusive franchise?

He went on to say that they have had this part on order for nearly one month (one month tomorrow)..so I asked him if it was a conitnuuing problem with in the camera, his response was that 'we've seen a handful of cameras with this particular issue'. And 'if Nikon Japan have this part in stock then it will be at Maxwell within a week'..

Very strange ... is he saying that Nikon Japon do not have this part in stock?

I asked him to find out if Nikon Japan had it in stock but he said that it could take a few days to work that out...grrr!

I would find that difficult to accept. We live in an age of electronic communications. Do they not have email facilities with Nikon Japan?

Please keep us informed. I would give him till tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon to get back to you. Latish, but not overly so. 3:30 would be roughly 2pm Tokyo time ... which should be enough to allow you to place a small wedge in there if you need to.

But you're doing very well thus far. Keep it up.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:36 am

Geoff, Graham,

bago100 wrote:The point is though, that if manufacturers sell products in Australia then they should also have a sufficient supply of spare parts, or they should quality control their product to the extent that spare parts are most unlikely to be needed.

That is correct. That is precisely why we're buying through authorised resellers, and not grey market. They have an exclusive franchise; they need to learn to respect, and not abuse, it.

Of course, having spare part inventory is all part of the price we pay. If we buy a product, then we also buy the warranty and in buying that we also buy the expectation that they can fix the broken bits and that means having spare part inventory.

Yep. Exactly.

I suppose you could let it go and grin and bear it or you could contact the Trade Practices Commission and see what they have to say.

You could also have a look at your State laws and see if there is a Sale of Goods Act, or Fair Trading Act that deals with fitness of purpose. If your camera is fairly new and not been used much you might be able to mount a fitness of purpose argument and say that the camera you bought is not fit for the purpose and therefore should never have been sold to you because you wanted a camera that can take a reasonable quantity of photos, and ask for a replacement that is fit for the purpose (i.e. take photos)

How new is the camera, Graham? Fitness for the intended purpose might be a way to go. Certainly, it won't hurt to raise the spectre of it. Even a four or five month old camera, if it cannot be fixed in a reasonable time, could be subject to this sort of claim.

At this stage I'd be reluctant to go the way of Fair Trading departments. They're usually toothless tigers, but they're also resources of last resort - you use them when you can no longer get satisfaction from the manufacturer. I don't think you're at that point yet.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bago100 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:58 pm

gstark wrote:Geoff, Graham,

How new is the camera, Graham? Fitness for the intended purpose might be a way to go. Certainly, it won't hurt to raise the spectre of it. Even a four or five month old camera, if it cannot be fixed in a reasonable time, could be subject to this sort of claim.

At this stage I'd be reluctant to go the way of Fair Trading departments. They're usually toothless tigers, but they're also resources of last resort - you use them when you can no longer get satisfaction from the manufacturer. I don't think you're at that point yet.

Hi Geoff

Agreed - Fair Trading Departments are not the way to go as they seem to be all rhetoric but little prosection and action. Still, the laws are supposed to be there to make traders be fair ("I.e. Fair Trading") to consumers, and I don't think a 4 week wait for a camera repair is fair trade given that A. Cameras are common and B. Maxwell can easily canibalise a dud camera or swap Cameron with another camera to ensure more or less, instant consumer satisfaction.

Methinks though, reading between the lines here, that there might be a significant problem with the part that is failing - hence the reported shortage of spare parts, and there could be much more to the parts problem than is being revealed.

Anyway, back to work for me

Cheers

Graham
P.S. When I get my D70, I'm gunna name it "fingers crossed" :D
bago100

Postby birddog114 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:42 pm

Again, please remember the more waiting time in their workshop the more warranty period on the camera will be shorted.

As everyone known:check stock with overseas supplier nowaday, same as you're buying on the NET, just a click and you'll see its availability, or an email as Gary mentioned.

To ship the order from the US to Aussie, maximum of 4 working days, I say same as from Japan or Thailand.

Nikon Japan does not have part??? It's funny cos they claimed they produce 80000 units from Thai's Factory/ month, perhaps there's: all the parts gone?
Birddog114
birddog114

Thanx..

Postby Geoff on Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:31 pm

Hmm..wow..thanks for all your input into this. I rang again today and ended up having to leave a msg on the service manager's voice mail..so I (again) assertively reminded him that he'd said he'd call me back and that I would appreciate a call and update on the parts issue before close of business today..

When I spoke to him the other day, he seemed to have an answer to everything I sent his way - which wasn't easy. Anyway..will keep you posted. Cheers,

Geoff.
Geoff

Next

Return to General Discussion