Kipper's Crap Photos!

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Kipper's Crap Photos!

Postby kipper on Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:43 am

http://members.iinet.net.au/~darryl_m/photos.html

Here are some crap photos that I've taken with my F80.

The photos of the Great Ocean Rd would of looked better if the sky wasn't so washed out. Not sure how the sky could of been enhanced as it a pretty bright day and there was a fair bit of cloud cover so they were fairly plain and white. Hardly any detail to them at all. At the end of the day it bucketted down and there was a nice lightning show.

The shot of the girl is a bit low resolution when I scanned it onto the PC ages ago. Need to invest in a quality scanner and rescan it from print.
Have heaps of photos that I want to scan in from my trip to France.
kipper

Re: Kipper's Crap Photos!

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:56 am

kipper wrote:http://members.iinet.net.au/~darryl_m/photos.html

Here are some crap photos that I've taken with my F80.

Nothing too wrong with those; I have yet to do the Great Ocean Rd.

The photos of the Great Ocean Rd would of looked better if the sky wasn't so washed out. Not sure how the sky could of been enhanced as it a pretty bright day and there was a fair bit of cloud cover so they were fairly plain and white.

That's where a polariser comes into play.The difference it can make is fan-bloody-mazing.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kipper on Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:40 am

Yeah I haven't experimented with the different filters that you can apply to cameras. I've always wanted to and looked at Cokin (sp?) filters before but have always been put off spending the money on them. I will probably look at doing it when I get the D70 as I'm really looking forward to experimenting and seeing the results first hand. That's something that sort of puts me off with film/print because you'll shoot a whole roll of film and have about 5-30% of them being keepers and the rest being utter crap.

I really like the photo of the young girl. Took some corkers in France when I was there for my sisters wedding. Some of the colors that came out in the photos were superb. They look like postcards :)
kipper

Postby kipper on Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:41 am

Which reminds me I need to develop my Cape Schanck/Mornington Pennisula photos. Think I have about 3 rolls to develop :) Will get them done this coming weekend I think when I go on my D70 shopping.
kipper

Postby kipper on Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:49 am

Ok just had a look at some effects with and without a polarizer. Looks like it's on my too buy list next weekend :)

Can you get them in standard cicular filters that screw directly into the lens? Or do you have to use like a Cokin Filter holder and then get filter glass?

I know when I tried to buy filters before from Michaels (that's probably half the problem) that they tried to say that to get all the various types of filters I'd have to use a Cokin filter holder system.
kipper

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:03 am

kipper wrote:Ok just had a look at some effects with and without a polarizer. Looks like it's on my too buy list next weekend :)

Can you get them in standard cicular filters that screw directly into the lens?

Yes you can.

Did you see this thread from last Friday?

http://forum.d70users.com/viewtopic.php?t=883

Everything you need
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kipper on Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:45 am

I did see it. I take it CPL = Circular Polarizing .. ?

As for the price of that D70 with 18-70MM lense and 1gb CF card, it's a bit much for me. I already have a Nikon F80 with Nikkor 28-70 and a Sigma 70-300 both with UV filters. Plus a Lowepro Offroad camera bag with two lense compartments. Which should have enough space for the extra body and lense.

So I'm looking at the D70 + 18-70MM DX Lense and a 512mb/1gb CF card, plus UV + maybe a CPL filter for around no more than $2000. Perhaps I'm dreaming but that's what I'm going to try and achieve this weekend :)
kipper

Postby Marvin on Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:47 pm

Good luck!
:D
Marvin

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:05 pm

kipper wrote: Perhaps I'm dreaming

I suspect that you are.

I doubt that you'll see a better deal than what Birddog can do for you.

Let me put it anothger way - Vanbar have what would otherwise be the best price going around. Body + kit lens there is 2K. You still need at least one CF card, plus UV + CPL, which, as you've correctly worked out, is the polariser. Work on 70 for the CPL, 55 for the UV; what's the best deal you can do for a 1G card? I doubt you'll see any change from 2200, and that's just for what you're listing as your basic needs.

Don't forget to factor in shipping if you're going to buy your media on the net.

On the subject of CF cards - you should work towards having at least two on your person at any one time; anything less than 256 isn't worth bothering with, and at least one should be 512 or greater. To a point, faster is good too, so you're not stuck waiting for the buffer to unload, as I've seen with some slower media. What Birddog has matches perfectly with the camera.

As Marvin said, good luck.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:10 pm

Kipper,
Wish you have a wonderful overseas trip, a sweet dream and good luck to your sourcing.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Killakoala on Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:14 pm

Kipper,

I am just curious as to your choice of using PNG as your picture format.

Is your scanner set up to produce in that format or did you consciously decide on it. It's rare to see that format anywhere these days.

I'm not complaining or criticising, a picture is a picture, just curious.

Steve.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby MHD on Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:49 pm

For many of my web graphics I use PNG... Dont know why, I guess I like the compression...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby kipper on Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:53 pm

That was back in my web development days, and done about 2 years ago. I liked PNG back then for some reason, thought it had good compression and was lossless.
kipper

Postby kipper on Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:12 pm

Gstark,

I can get a Transcend 1gb CF Ultra (x45) for $180.
Hoya 67MM UV $40
Hoya 67MM CPL $70

Those were prices were without shopping around that much.
So that's $290 worth of goods.

I'm not sure if I'll go the one 1gb CF. Most likely take the path of 512mb and 256mb or even 2x256mb. As I've bought an Archos AV420 which has a CF reader. So I'll use that to offload the photos from the CF.
kipper

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:56 pm

kipper wrote:Those were prices were without shopping around that much.
So that's $290 worth of goods.

So, add the cost of the kit, and you're already $30 down on Birddog's price, and you still don't have all of the bits and pieces that you'd get with Birddog. :)

FWIW, camera bags are a bit like disk space and memory on computers; I have four different camera bags that I use, depending upon my daily needs. Translation: there's no such thing as too many camera bags.

I do wish you luck in your search for a better deal
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kipper on Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:21 pm

I think I have two camera bags at the moment anyway. So I don't need three, if the seller of my camera tries to put one in the sale.
kipper

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques