Sigma Price Matching by CR Kennedy

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sigma Price Matching by CR Kennedy

Postby SteveGriffin on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:24 pm

I just stumbled across this page on the CR Kennedy website. Has anyone tried them out to match EBay / Hong Kong pricing??? If it works it would be a nice way to get around the warranty problems of buying offshore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SIGMA AUSTRALIAN WARRANTY ON GREY IMPORTS

C.R. Kennedy & Co P/L will only undertake warranty repairs on products sourced through us. All products imported directly from overseas and resold are not covered by our warranty. This includes purchases through ebay and through grey importers such as http://www.camerasdirect.com.au,
http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au and http://www.globalmediapro.com.

Mark Harrison from http://www.camerasdirect.com.au has been directly advised by Sigma Japan that C.R. Kennedy, the only authorised Sigma agent in Australia, will not cover warranty on Sigma products bought through http://www.camerasdirect.com.au

We will match, through our authorised Sigma dealer network, any legitimate advertised internet
price on Sigma lenses by these grey importers.

These prices do not include traditional pre-sales and after sales service normally given by your local retail store. We suggest that you research the product thoroughly before making any purchase.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:28 pm

Yes, I did play dumb and asking them to match on a Sigma 70-200 HongKong stock, their reply was:
"Sorry, that price is lower than our cost"

Pls. someone gives them another try on a difference lens.

I'm sure this topic also has been discussed here before.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby huynhie on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:41 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Yes, I did play dumb and asking them to match on a Sigma 70-200 HongKong stock, their reply was:
"Sorry, that price is lower than our cost"

Pls. someone gives them another try on a difference lens.

I'm sure this topic also has been discussed here before.

This happens at most places that say they price match items.

When you quote a better price than what the store offers they just say "no can do as it's below their cost"

The only place that I know price matches no matter what the price the item cost is David Jones.

:roll:
huynhie

Postby Heath Bennett on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:26 pm

DJ's eh?

Time to start a bidding war between them and JB-HIFI! Both can't be matched...
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby phillipb on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:13 pm

Not quite related to this, but an interesting story I think.

Many years ago when the Canon AE1 program was first released and was all the rage, a certain camera shop which happened to be a Nikon dealer in the same shopping centre where there was a major canon dealer, put a Canon AE1 program in the window for a very low price, well below his cost. I told the owner (whom I Knew) that he would sell heaps at that price. He said, actually he wouldn't sell any, because people would walk down to the canon shop and they would have to undercut him.

As a foot note the nikon guy is still around the canon guy committed suicide some years later due to business problems.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:20 pm

phillipb wrote:Not quite related to this, but an interesting story I think.

Many years ago when the Canon AE1 program was first released and was all the rage, a certain camera shop which happened to be a Nikon dealer in the same shopping centre where there was a major canon dealer, put a Canon AE1 program in the window for a very low price, well below his cost. I told the owner (whom I Knew) that he would sell heaps at that price. He said, actually he wouldn't sell any, because people would walk down to the canon shop and they would have to undercut him.

As a foot note the nikon guy is still around the canon guy committed suicide some years later due to business problems.

Nice short story.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby meicw on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:22 pm

To be fair to Kennedys, I did find a cheaper price at CamerasDirect.com.au. The retailer that I purchase my equipment from contacted them and said that CamerasDirect were offering the lens I was after at a lower price. Kennedys investigated, and they reduced the price of the lens by $170. BTW I went to the CamerasDirect web site a couple of days later, and noticed that the Sigma, and Nikon lenses that they had been displaying had been removed!! :)
I think that the claim is there is to dissuade any Australian seller from bringing in 'grey' imports.

Regards
meicw
meicw

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:26 pm

meicw wrote:To be fair to Kennedys, I did find a cheaper price at CamerasDirect.com.au. The retailer that I purchase my equipment from contacted them and said that CamerasDirect were offering the lens I was after at a lower price. Kennedys investigated, and they reduced the price of the lens by $170. BTW I went to the CamerasDirect web site a couple of days later, and noticed that the Sigma, and Nikon lenses that they had been displaying had been removed!! :)
I think that the claim is there is to dissuade any Australian seller from bringing in 'grey' imports.

Regards
meicw

Yes, if CameraDirect purchases stock from CRKennedy and also does grey import, otherwise I don't see any effect there and it's only applied to Sigma maybe, wonder why they removed Nikon as you mentioned.
If they sell grey import and clearly stated that warranty will be returned to them then I don't see any problems at all.
Just something is not right, other large photogarphics stores in the US and UK selling both grey import and local sourced stocks officially on their website, nothing wrong with it.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby huynhie on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:34 pm

Heath Bennett wrote:DJ's eh?

Time to start a bidding war between them and JB-HIFI! Both can't be matched...

Actually if they both "price matched" than the price wont be any lower than the original lowest price. :D
huynhie

Return to General Discussion