I Love You Tiny Island

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

I Love You Tiny Island

Postby dooda on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:50 am

I climbed up into this island last night and caught shot after shot of beautiful pictures. I too this one as I was heading back to the car as sort of a tribute. When I was there the wind picked up something furious. It was right after a rain storm and so my footing was never quite sure. With the full moon and the sky as such, you could literally take a picture of anything and it would have been remarkable.

I haven't uploaded the others yet, but I will shortly. Critique and commentary welcom.

love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:59 am

The sky is something else in this shot, lovely. The island has a real air of mystery to it, can't wait to see some more of your shots. (You take a torch with you right ?)
Alpha_7

Postby dooda on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:19 am

Yes I do, but to clarify for north americans, we call it a flashlight (a torch is a stick with a burning flame at the end of it).

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:23 am

I was actually going to use the North American version, but since it's primarily a Aussie forum, I thought I'd stick with torch. :wink: :lol:
Glad you do, don't want you and the camera to come a cropper!
Alpha_7

Postby dooda on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:25 am

Yeah, I totally accept it as a better term than flashlight actually.

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Postby Alex on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:57 am

Dave, I like this shot a lot. Love the sky and the B&W treatment. Looking forward to some more.

Alex
Alex

Postby ABG on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:32 am

Lovely stuff as usual Dave. That sky is almost surreal. Is this taken with your favourite Sigma lens? Also what type of tripod do you use? That's a nice steady image especially given it was taken in the midst of a tempest.
Andrew
ABG

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:46 am

Dave, do you have a colour version of this? Love the sky but as a whole, for myself the pic isn't as dramatic or surreal as your previous pics.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby dooda on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:32 pm

PS, yes I have a colour version. I find the colours got in the way of the chaos of the sky. I might upload me one a little later.

Indeed this was taken with my beloved Sigma 10-20mm (mostly wide open too).

Luckily the tripod was an old heavy one that I borrowed from my father. I loved how sturdy it was compared to my spindly little slik, and as it turned out I really needed the extra weight. It was atleast 20 years old though. I've got another one that I'll post here in a minute. It's dramatic, and colourful as well.

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Postby dk on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:09 pm

Dave,

Your little island is an inspiring shot. I love the sky. It also looks a bit spooky; were you alone?

Before I injured my shoulder I did some night shots. As soon as I mend I'll be back lurking in the dark.

Here are a few of mine:

Color version

and B&W

and one of my first
Image BTW, I checked out your flicr site...great stuff.

Thanks a million,

David
"Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help. Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind. Do more than dream, work." -W. A. Ward
dk

Postby dooda on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:18 pm

Great shots DK. The truck shot is excellent, albeit a little grainy. I think you should reshoot at ISO 200, or convert to BW maybe? The top colour shot of the trees are excellent, and those trees really pop.

Yes, I was all alone, which was a little spooky with the wind howling at me.

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Postby dooda on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:13 pm

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Postby shinwood on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:21 pm

Wicked stuff Dave, your pics are trully inspiring!
Sonny
Sonny Hinwood

Blue Sky Photography
http://www.thecreepers.com.au/bluesky/index.htm
shinwood

Postby cyanide on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:31 pm

I like BOTH of your posted shots - I can't decide which I favour....

Well done!

Could I please ask - what was the shutter speed on both shots? (I don't have an EXIF viewer on this computer, sorry....)
Rae
All the gear and no idea.
PPOK / Others' pics in my threads OK
cyanide

Postby dooda on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:53 pm

Sometime between 2 and 3 minutes I think Cyanide. Thanks for the comments.

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Postby radar on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:55 pm

cyanide wrote:I like BOTH of your posted shots - I can't decide which I favour....

Well done!

Could I please ask - what was the shutter speed on both shots? (I don't have an EXIF viewer on this computer, sorry....)

Cyanide,

have a look at Dooda's flickr site, full exif there:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=112988171

Both shots are beautiful. Amazing shots, the exposure times on these is pretty amazing, but I guess at the time that you were there!! Don't you sleep :shock:

Also saw the other on on your site that is next to this one with the tree, I would say that I prefer that one,

Awesome and inspiring, thanks,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:57 pm

Awesome stuff Dave on the colour one, I love it and the Sigma really likes working for you. I love how it almost looks like a bonzia tree, due to the wide angle distortion. The skys over there are brilliant, you can tell the wind was blowing strongly by the tree and the sky.
Alpha_7

Postby dk on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:30 pm

WOW! Number two is a trip! I think I'll edit my shots out; didn't mine to horn in on your post anyway.

I really admire your work.

dk
"Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help. Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind. Do more than dream, work." -W. A. Ward
dk

Postby dooda on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:33 pm

Not at all DK, I really don't mind.

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Postby mudder on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:55 pm

Dave,
These are bloody awesome, I love the movement in the sky, the B&W treatment seems nicely done but must say that I found the color versions you've posted recently absolutely stunning... As you mention the B&W might suit this better as you're the one that was there.

Really enjoying this style/series mate, very very nice and creative too...

DK:
I much prefer the B&W version of the tree reflections (go figure) but stopped at the old truck, much dodgin and burning? seems eerie (but very nice) lighting... especially on the grass in front of the truck...
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby dk on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:51 am

Andrew,

Thank you for your comments. As I told Dave, I didn't mean to horn in on his post. And yet I do have a question; still a bit new to pp and therefore didn't do anything to the truck image. I was also new to my D70 at the time I captured this shot. Please tell me; what is dodging and burning?

Thanks a million.

dk
dk

Postby mudder on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:29 am

dk wrote:Andrew,

Thank you for your comments. As I told Dave, I didn't mean to horn in on his post. And yet I do have a question; still a bit new to pp and therefore didn't do anything to the truck image. I was also new to my D70 at the time I captured this shot. Please tell me; what is dodging and burning?

Thanks a million.

dk

G'day,

The light in the shot of the old truck is almost sensual, with no PP the light must have been so nice...

Dodging and burning are just selective lightening and darkening in areas of the image, using the dodge and burn tools, either on the image itself or an adjustment layer. It can be used to increase the shadow/light effect and focus attention on something and reduce attention to other items/areas...
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby mic on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:45 pm

Great Doodles,

One of your great shots, I have to get off ma Assss soon.

Shots like this inspire me.

Well done !

Mic. :wink:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby SteveGriffin on Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:15 pm

I prefer the B&W to the colour (aussie) color (north american) shot. Like you noted the colour is almost a distraction.

Both fantastic shots which I can only aspire to :?
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby LostDingo on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:18 pm

dooda wrote:Image

This shot really conveys movement. You can see the wind in the trees, the clouds look like they are really moving quickly :!:

I like the color of the sunsetting and smoothness of the water
LostDingo

Postby dooda on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:15 pm

Lost Dingo,

This was taken at midnight. The colour comes from the orange glow of the city not that far away. The light in the sky comes from the moon.

Thanks so much for the compliments everyone. And I guarantee, if you aspire to this you can do it. If I can anyone can, it's just a matter of getting out there and doing it. It really isn't that hard.

Dave
dooda
Party Animal

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques