D70 shutter lockup ?? Help

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby tasadam on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:51 am

Where things now stand...

Still no camera.
Maxwell took ages to get back to me but finally did (before Christmas). I negotiated the price down by more than half so have agreed to pay that and am hoping to get my camera back soon.

What did I get for Christmas?
1. Wife paying repair bill on the D70 :D
2. Permission to buy the D200 - when we can afford it.
:D :D :D
A fantastic Christmas indeed, wouldn't you say? I'm very lucky considering where things could have gone...

I need to find out more about this bent aperture control lever and ensure it doesn't happen again. I don't recall reading about this anywhere else before - and I'm usually pretty careful with my stuff.

Now time to get off this internet and phone Maxwell (again) and find out how much longer I need to wait before I get my camera back. It's been 6 weeks today.

Sorry if this seems off topic, these problems arose when my shutter locked up so I added it to this thread.
Share what you know, learn what you don't.
Wilderness Photography of Tasmania http://www.tasmaniart.com.au
tasadam

Postby whiz on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:17 am

Well, I've been getting the error message and mirror lock for a while now. No physical damage to my camera.

Cost me a few shots of the New Years Day fires in Woy Woy..

http://www.glide.net.au/gallery/

I'll put my D70 in for servicing when my D200 turns up.

I'd be interested in knowing what they charged you to get it fixed though.
People put way too much rubbish in signature blocks.

whiz

Postby tasadam on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:45 am

whiz wrote:I'd be interested in knowing what they charged you to get it fixed though.
I'll post details once I get it back.

I phoned them yesterday, mine was 3rd in the queue and they said "maybe by the end of the week". That will be nearly 7 weeks.

Going bushwalking tomorrow. No camera to take. Not happy. :(
tasadam

Postby tasadam on Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:45 am

So I phoned them Tuesday and they said maybe by the end of the week. I tried paying then so they can send it as soon as it was fixed, but they can't accept payment until it's done.

I asked them to CALL ME as soon as it was ready so I can make immediate payment and get it sent overnight. They said this would not be a problem and confirmed my mobile number.

The reason I wanted them to phone me was because I knew I would be away from my email.

Wednesday morning they send an email to say the camera is fixed and awaiting payment. No phone call. Problem was that I did not get the email until Friday. They can't even follow a simple request.
So I ring them Friday and tell them they were supposed to ring me. I tell them I want to pay so they can send it overnight and she puts me through to someone else for payment.
Instead of getting someone, I get voicemail saying please speak clearly and slowly and someone will get back to me by the end of the next business day - which really means by Monday.

So I hang up and ring back, got someone else, and they took payment details and entered into the system to "please send overnight for Monday delivery".

Subsequent to this, I have send an email telling them what I think.

I don't know whether I could be more pissedd offf at Nikon at the moment.
If my camera doesn't arrive back Monday, I will find out! :evil:
tasadam

Postby birddog114 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:00 pm

Move to Sydney and deal direct face to face with them instead of talking over the phone. Eye contacts is always good and perfect.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby tasadam on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:30 pm

Well it's back from repair. Finally. It walked in the gate this morning at 8:55 am. And I've hardly touched it. Wife has been busy learning how to use it. Think I will be getting the D200 sooner rather than later...
tasadam

Postby ipv6ready on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:54 pm

Just a thought has anyone had trouble with a d100 shutter? Mine is over 25,000 clicks as far as i can guess, just from the file numbers, I have factroy reset a few times so it went back to zero.

Since replacement which Maxwell fixed out of warranty. Very lucky and nice of veronica I think she use to work there.

One thing though...on my f90 I bet i would not have clicked over 2000 as i only put through maybe 700 rolls.

Since going digital, my clicks are lot more liberal. Much more testshots etc.

What is the F80 shutter rated at? Anyone know?

Thanks
I'm back
D3s D700 D200, SB-900, SB-800 x2, SB-600 x4
ipv6ready

Return to General Discussion