Linda Evangalista @ David Jones Spring/Summer launch

Archives of older/obsolete messages from the Sydney section.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Linda Evangalista @ David Jones Spring/Summer launch

Postby Onyx on Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:39 pm

DJ's Elizabeth Street store are apparently having this supermodel Linda starring in their new season's fashion launch, appearing 6pm on Thursday 12 Aug.

It's very rare that supermodels are seen in public. I'm sure the crowds will be huge and security very tight, but it's also a good occasion for those in and around Sydney to exercise their shutters and flashes. :)

Who's up for it? I'll be there, if I decide whether missing The Footy Show is worth it for this Linda dude... :wink:
Onyx

Postby Miliux on Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:09 pm

You don't have to miss the Footy Show! Set the recorder under G-Code or even better, let ya buddy record it for you!
Miliux

Postby Onyx on Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:34 pm

Well, it was an interesting shoot. I learned a lot from it, so from that statement alone you know most of the pics didn't turn out good. :lol:

For those interested, pics are here: http://dr-cbtan.fotopic.net/c257378.html

I'll share with you the issues I faced:

1. Lack of flash power - I relied on the D70's built-in flash as I currently have no external lights at the moment. With the shooting distances involved, it meant lengthy flash recycle times as it was firing close to full power. 1 shot every 2 seconds or so, greatly missing fast moving action. This meant I had to be spot on when I pressed the shutter release, as I wouldn't have another chance to shoot until the model was half way back up the runway!

2. White balance - as if the loud pop music wasn't distracting enough, they insist on using fancy coloured lights which kept changing from each desginer/brand. So that effort I went to, calibrating and fine tuning white balance beforehand served no purpose. I relied on Auto WB, which worked surprisingly well. As I'm a Jpeg'ger, I was constantly worried throughout the shoot that images were going to be spoilt by bad light/colour. Only a few bad shots colourwise resulted. I am extremely pleased. I don't usually auto - anything. Auto ISO, sharpening and contrast settings were the first things to go when I bought my camera. Auto WB might just remain my friend after all. :)

3. Dark skinned models were far easier to photograph than their light skinned counterparts. I had no issues with blown exposures, WB or other nasties.

4. Linda Evangelista really is an air-head. I saw her interview on Rove Live tuesday night, I felt sorry for Rove. Then at the DJ fashion show, she stuffed up even the simple greeting, requiring the presenter to laugh it off and move on. :roll:
Onyx

Postby wendellt on Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:32 pm

Onyx wrote:Well, it was an interesting shoot. I learned a lot from it, so from that statement alone you know most of the pics didn't turn out good. :lol:

For those interested, pics are here: http://dr-cbtan.fotopic.net/c257378.html

I'll share with you the issues I faced:

1. Lack of flash power - I relied on the D70's built-in flash as I currently have no external lights at the moment. With the shooting distances involved, it meant lengthy flash recycle times as it was firing close to full power. 1 shot every 2 seconds or so, greatly missing fast moving action. This meant I had to be spot on when I pressed the shutter release, as I wouldn't have another chance to shoot until the model was half way back up the runway!

2. White balance - as if the loud pop music wasn't distracting enough, they insist on using fancy coloured lights which kept changing from each desginer/brand. So that effort I went to, calibrating and fine tuning white balance beforehand served no purpose. I relied on Auto WB, which worked surprisingly well. As I'm a Jpeg'ger, I was constantly worried throughout the shoot that images were going to be spoilt by bad light/colour. Only a few bad shots colourwise resulted. I am extremely pleased. I don't usually auto - anything. Auto ISO, sharpening and contrast settings were the first things to go when I bought my camera. Auto WB might just remain my friend after all. :)

3. Dark skinned models were far easier to photograph than their light skinned counterparts. I had no issues with blown exposures, WB or other nasties.

4. Linda Evangelista really is an air-head. I saw her interview on Rove Live tuesday night, I felt sorry for Rove. Then at the DJ fashion show, she stuffed up even the simple greeting, requiring the presenter to laugh it off and move on. :roll:

hi Onyx

I can see what you mean
that type of fashion show format was hard to shoot, but if you had a high power zoom you could get clean head to torso shots, i think the lighting looked bright enough negating the need for flash.

The best parade i have seen was the jodie boffa show at fashion week 1998 the runway was high from the ground long and hallogen spots lined the catwalk left to right all the way from the start to end of the catwalk, the models looked exceptionally sharp even with my Sony eyesight, lighting is almost everything when shooting this type of event.
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby lejazzcat on Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:58 pm

OT
- dont you need releases for these shots to be published online?
Private property and all that ...
So many ideas. So little time.

"The camera is much more than a recording apparatus, it is a medium via which messages reach us from another world, a world that is not ours and that brings us to the heart of a great secret" Orson Welles
lejazzcat

Postby Onyx on Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:10 pm

F&*k me dead... 14 months later and my n00bness comes back to haunt me.
Onyx

Return to Sydney - Archives