Tip #504

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Tip #504

Postby biggerry on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:49 pm

I need very few words for this tip.

check your f@#%ing date on the camera and make sure it has the right year. I never really cared about the daylight savings..but changing the year on 10 months worth of images is...painful - actually that leads me to the second part of the tip

Photomechanic can actually batch change the capture date on images, quite neat. Oh yes, whats that you say? of course LR can do that too...but it does not change the file, just the catalogue :x
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Tip #504

Postby Wink on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:00 pm

I think it can change the file if you set it to write the changes to xmp.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Re: Tip #504

Postby Remorhaz on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:25 pm

biggerry wrote:date on the camera and make sure it has the right year

Or just buy a new camera every year :?
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby biggerry on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Wink wrote:I think it can change the file if you set it to write the changes to xmp.

yeah and you can set the checkbox in the cat settings to write to raw file - and it appears to work - so I stand corrected :up: LR for the win and now i just need to delete all those silly xmp files.. (that will take me just as long) :wink:

Remorhaz wrote:
biggerry wrote:date on the camera and make sure it has the right year

Or just buy a new camera every year :?

hows that gonna make me set the correct date? thats just gonna burn a fing big hole in my wallet :rotfl2: and to boot i will probably still forget to change the date.
biggerry

Postby photohiker on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:35 pm

biggerry wrote:Photomechanic can actually batch change the capture date on images, quite neat.

Gerry, how do you find PhotoMechanic?

My LR Catalog is clogged with all the images I took but didn't quite measure up. Never seem to get around to removing them. I'm wondering if inserting Photomechanic into the workflow would improve things. I watched a video somewhere showing that it gave very quick review and easy moving of keepers for later LR processing.

Be interested to hear what you think.
photohiker

Postby biggerry on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:45 pm

photohiker wrote:
biggerry wrote:Photomechanic can actually batch change the capture date on images, quite neat.

Gerry, how do you find PhotoMechanic?

My LR Catalog is clogged with all the images I took but didn't quite measure up. Never seem to get around to removing them. I'm wondering if inserting Photomechanic into the workflow would improve things. I watched a video somewhere showing that it gave very quick review and easy moving of keepers for later LR processing.

Be interested to hear what you think.

I only downloaded the trial to have a crack at it, however i did immediately find it quite intuitive and particularly fast for reviewing and managing images, i did not delve into the full DAM side of things nor the processing side. From the very little research I did - people often insert it into the workflow for that very reason you mentioned - really quick culling and managing. oh and changing the date on the exif data on a large batch of images.

I reckon just download the trial and have a go, its a pretty lightweight program and gets some good reviews around the traps. Sorry I can't be of more help :(
biggerry

Postby Remorhaz on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:07 am

biggerry wrote:hows that gonna make me set the correct date? thats just gonna burn a fing big hole in my wallet and to boot i will probably still forget to change the date.

Well - if it's a "new" camera it will a) by default have a date starting at the current year so you're good already and b) the initial setup you're forced to do on first turn on makes you set the date - see a win win :)
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby aim54x on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:58 am

Default year is usually the year of firmware release.... but the initial set up will get you there...how did your D7000 get set with the wrong year Gerry?
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Tips and tricks