how to focus: timer on monopod overhead

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

how to focus: timer on monopod overhead

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Hi.

At the BRW triathlon last week, I tried a technique of holding a camera over a crowd, on the end of the monopod (say 4 meters above the ground). Without radio triggers, I used the timer, and shutter prioority, and captured some good crowd shots.

One this I was not happy with was focus. I was prefocusing in my hands, at a similar distrance away, and they held the monopod up, over my head, with the camera on the other end. Focus was ok, but not sharp.

Outside of measuring, and using the focus scale, is their a way to focus using the timer? (this was a D70s).

Any other alternatives?
Oz_Beachside

Postby johnd on Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:07 am

Good idea Bruce.

As far as focusing, did you think about using the little ML-L3 remote. Tripod in one hand remote in the other. I'm certain that when you press the remote, the camera will focus then open the shutter. It might be a challenge to hold the tripod still and use the remote - you might need an assistant. Worth a try.

Cheers
John
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
johnd

Postby firsty on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:25 am

use a cable remote with the remote taped to the mono pod so you can hold the mono pod with both hands and still work the shutter with auto focus
firsty

Postby DaveB on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:53 am

One solution might be to pick up your D70s wireless trigger cable which is waiting for you... 8)
Have the camera set to AF-C, with focus control set to the trigger half-press (instead of the thumb button) and with AE-lock disabled, then as you send the camera up on the monopod, flick the switch on the trigger cable which activates the half-press. At that point the camera will be continually tracking focus as best as it can, and metering continually (unless you're working in M) and when you press the button on the wireless transmitter the photo will be taken.

When using the timer, my understanding is that no matter what you do, the camera does its AF when you trigger the timer, not just prior to the shutter going off.
DaveB

Postby Oz_Beachside on Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:52 am

great ideas, thanks for the tips. I have the little IR remote, but was at home. That should work a treat (and much smaller that using my radio triggers).

thanks! PS: Dave, be over soon :D
Oz_Beachside

Return to Tips and tricks