Batch converting with "optimal" settings ??

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Batch converting with "optimal" settings ??

Postby georgie on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has any workflows for NEF conversion that includes adjusting photos to a "general" optimum for most photos in a batch conversion.

I am having a hard time finding a good workflow to batch convert with optimum setting.

I understand many people have problems with batch processing NEFs but I simply don't have the time to sit through and convert every photo individually. I have searched and found some excellent workflow suggestions but each one is way too invloving for me to use in an everyday situation.

I am currently using NC and batch converting with mostly pleasing results - Are there any other alternatives that people have found that work well? eg batch converting in PSCS2 (which I have never done), RSE etc.

I am trying to get my photos "correct" in camera to cut down on PP time.

Thanks
Cheers
Georgie
georgie

Re: Batch converting with "optimal" settings ??

Postby sheepie on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:24 pm

georgie wrote:...batch converting in PSCS2...

Try it - works really nicely, especially with the ability to turn everything onto 'auto'. Does mean that you loose control over what 'should be' correct exposure, etc., but that's what batch processing is for I guess ;)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Matt. K on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:07 pm

georgie
I find that RAWSHOOTER is pretty slick for fast batch processing. You can Multiple select like thumbnails....tweak one to perfection, copy your adjutments and paste them into all of your selected thumbnails. Very fast. The program is available free on the internet and it processes to a very high standard.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby leek on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:59 pm

Matt. K wrote:georgie
I find that RAWSHOOTER is pretty slick for fast batch processing. You can Multiple select like thumbnails....tweak one to perfection, copy your adjutments and paste them into all of your selected thumbnails. Very fast. The program is available free on the internet and it processes to a very high standard.

Matt,
You can do exactly the same with Adobe Bridge, and you have the added bonus that Photoshop remembers your RAW adjustments when you open the images in Photoshop.
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Matt. K on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:54 pm

Thanks John
You are absolutely correct. I guess I admire RS as software because the code is very lean and mean and works so well. That's rare these days. Of course PSCS2 is still the Rolls Royce of software....but no longer essential for those who can't afford it or have the skill to pirate it. Like me. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby georgie on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:41 pm

Thanks for the reply guys - I guess I will have to have a little play with each software and see what I like :)
Cheers
Georgie
georgie

Return to Tips and tricks