Picasa as Raw editor in conjunction with CS2.

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Picasa as Raw editor in conjunction with CS2.

Postby dooda on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:01 am

I have been using my brother's mac G5 up until now for pretty much everything along with PSCS.

I just got my new PC and have loaded Picasa2 on there (I was surprised to notice that it supports NEF (and doesn't do too bad a job to my eye). It even does a few things (like the soft focal point) as well as BW filter which is a lot quicker and easier than PS (haven't used PSCS2 yet though). Of course I'll still need PS though for cloning and layers etc. I was wondering what everyone thought of using Picasa2 as a basic tool and then loading the image onto PS for more extensive RAW stuff. Of course I'll have to in order to convert it to JPEG (PICASA can't convert to jpeg right?).
I know Picasa has been spoken about a lot, but I couldn't find anyone's opinion about using it in conjunction with CS2, and the quality of Picasa2 in editing RAW files.

Also, does anyone know if you need a plugin in order to see your pictures on CS2?
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby leek on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:59 am

Dave
I haven't used Picasa, but you might want to take a look at new Adobe Bridge that comes with CS2 and the newest version of Adobe Camera Raw... They work in a way that is totally integrated with Photoshop, allowing you to exercise full control over your RAW file before it even hits Photoshop.
In fact, you can do most of your postprocessing in ACR without even opening Photoshop.
I can't think why you would use Picasa apart from the cataloguing tools, but Bridge provides basic support for that too...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby LOZ on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:13 am

dooda quote (PICASA can't convert to jpeg right?).

When you export you can resize and set image quality both actions are done by using slide bars. Their seems to be a negative response to using PICASA may be it is just too simple or not expensive enough to be considered as a useful tool. I find Picassa to be very handy. LOZ
LOZ

Postby leek on Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:37 am

LOZ wrote:Their seems to be a negative response to using PICASA may be it is just too simple or not expensive enough to be considered as a useful tool. I find Picassa to be very handy. LOZ

I have nothing against Picasa Laurie - I just don't have a need for it... I'm sure that it's a fine tool... However, if you already have CS2, as Dave mentioned he had, IMHO the level of integration between the various components of Adobe makes it a better choice...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby LOZ on Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:29 pm

Leek Sorry this was not a personal reply this was a reply in general .I did not see your reply before posting LOZ
LOZ

Postby DStrom on Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:02 pm

I would have to agree with leek,

not that I have PS CS, but I have used Picasa a little just for sorting through and producing some quick resized photos. In the end I switched back to nikon view because capture is better integrated with it.
DStrom

Postby dooda on Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:11 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I don't think I have the bridge on PSCS2 (I erm, didn't buy the software). I'd like to own it eventually...
So if I choose to export I can change the filetype?

I also noticed that I can make a few changes in Picasa on a jpeg, but when I take it to PS, all the changes go away. THat's too bad, because things like straightening horizons and flipping is so much easier on Picasa.

I personally really like Picasa2, it shortens the workflow for a lot of the more basic improvements markedly. But if it isn't going to keep the changes when I send it into PS, there's no point.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby Count Zero on Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:44 am

Actually, that's one of the good points about Picasa. If you look in each folder you'll find a picasa.ini file and when you open that up in a text editor you can see the changes that Picasa applies to each photograph before it's displayed.

So the actual image is untouched. To create an image with the changes you need to export it - this applies all of the changes to the new image. You can also change the filetype at this time.

The latest version has a few nice features but the killer part for me is the ability to crop to photo size (6x4, 5x7, 8x10) with a minimum of fuss so it can be printed without drama.

Although it's easy to add basic effects, what I'd like in the next version is the ability to plug in photoshop filters.

If you're using Paint Shop Pro instead of Photoshop then the level of integration isn't an issue. And as far as cost goes, Photoshop + Adbobe Bridge = Picasa + Paint Shop Pro + new lens.
Count Zero

Postby Sheila Smart on Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:33 pm

If I could add my two cents re Picasa2, because its Google based, its superb for finding images on your hard drive. I have PSCS2 and Bridge but do not use it as an image management as I prefer the speed of Picasa.

You can have a lot of fun with the "filters" too!

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D and various Ls
Black and White Spider Award 2005 - Photographer of the Year - amateur
On-line Gallery here
Sheila Smart

Return to Tips and tricks