BGLOD

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby marcotrov on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:30 am

Doesn't sound good curly :( Oh well I suppose I'm in the best of company guys :) I'll deal with it if and when it comes :)
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby curly on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:32 am

Rotsa Ruck Marco
Curly

It's better to seek forgiveness afterwards than ask permission beforehand
curly

Postby greencardigan on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:39 am

gstark wrote:I was seeing readings that were quite obviously nowehere near the mark: 1/4000 @ f/11 for indoors shots under available light, for instance.

It's been a while since mine played up but I'm almost certain mine was the other way around. i.e. readings of 4 seconds in well lit room.

And I think I bought mine around April too.

Is it possible for BGLOD to make a reappearance after a trip to Maxwell?
greencardigan

Postby Killakoala on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:37 pm

Mine kept giving me the CHA or FOR on the LCD whenever i inserted a CF card, but it never had metering problems before it died.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby marcotrov on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:36 pm

Mine has ,on a couple of occasions come up with CHR error and I have pulled out the CF card and replaced it in the slot and all was fine again. Sounds ominous to me as that's 2 of the early indicators seem to be getting. :(
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby mrbillf on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:26 pm

OK. It's happen. I've just purchased as a backup camera another D70 from Whilton Camera Service in Elizabeth St (Only 2 Weeks ago for me) and while it's not brand new :D it's done 8000 shots. I've taken about 90 pictures with it and now I've just turned it on and got the BGLOD (time of death 11.15pm March 7 2006).

Lucky for me I have another D70 (Mind you this one has done 13000 shots. :shock: :lol:

Bugger me.

Lucky for me that the owner of the store was so confident that this camera was in such good condition that he gave me 12 months warrenty. So, off I go tomorrow morning to sort it out. :( :cry: :cry:

I'll let you know how I get on.
mrbillf

Postby mrbillf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:20 am

Ok. This is what I've done.

Swapped batteries, CF Card and took the Sigma 10-20mm off and put the kit lens on and now it's working fine. Work that out.... Maybe it's the sigma len :lol: :shock: :lol: Just kidding. :wink:

I've since put back the sigma 10-20mm and it's ok, swapped CF cards with the others I have and all is ok. I haven't put back the same battery because it's now on the charger. Could that have caused the BGLOD??? :shock:

Anyway the very strange thing is that when you replace CF cards it gives about 3 flashes before it stops. Is that normal? My other D70 just flashes once and it's up.

Anyway, I'll see how it goes. Like I said before 'I've got a 12month Warranty on it'. :D

Cheers,
Bill
mrbillf

Postby birddog114 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:22 am

mrbillf,
The rule is:
Prior to mount any Sigma lens on Nikon body, you require to mount one of the Nikon lens you have first then dismount it and the Sigma next. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby mrbillf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:39 am

Thanks Birddog :wink: I'll take that helpful tip on board. :lol:

I'm still not convinced that the problem is resolved. I've left the kit lens on it now. :D This morning I changed CF cards and it flashed about 6 times then it stopped and the camera was then ready to for use. I swapped CF cards to check and the normal 1 flash occured. I hate problems like this :x :roll:

Do you think it could be the brand of CF card? or as we all know it, it's a common problem?

I suppose I should take it back and discuss with Whilton my options. Stupid question but what do you think? The camera hasn't actually stopped working though. I know what will happen and that is it won't do it in the shop.... :P :P. Anyway I've got 12 months warranty.. 8)

Regards,
Bill
mrbillf

Postby birddog114 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:47 am

The only thing I can say is: bring it back and swap another one or put it thru warranty.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby xorl on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:56 pm

Unfortunately it's my turn to participate in this thread. My D70 (6000xxx, bought 17/3/2004, ~15k clicks) died on the 28th Feb. Under moderate/low light (eg, indoors) it was overexposing by 3 stops. Spot metering turned a grey card into white blinkinlight on the LCD. Outside under full sun it appeared to be fine, but maybe it was slightly overexposing as well. Very inconvenient since I have a photography assignment due at the beginning of April...

I handed it into the camera store to be returned to Maxwell. After poking Maxwell they have fixed it extremely quickly - I just received it back today. The "Light measuring FPC unit" has been replaced and the sensor has been cleaned at no cost. Yay! Can't wait to get it home and test it. Being cameraless is unnatural, I haven't felt well for a week ;).
Mark
xorl

Postby mrbillf on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:58 pm

Well Birddog, thought I would give you an update.

After doing some more analysis I actually found that the Camera wasn't Metering correctly either. Gees, you really need to be careful these day, don't you? :lol:

Anyway I took the camera back and I had no problems with swapping it out for another one. So now I have another one and spent a lot more time checking over it before I left. While the good news is I still have that 1 year warranty on this camera. :D :D :D

Cheers,
Bill
mrbillf

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:01 pm

mrbillf wrote:Well Birddog, thought I would give you an update.

After doing some more analysis I actually found that the Camera wasn't Metering correctly either. Gees, you really need to be careful these day, don't you? :lol:

Anyway I took the camera back and I had no problems with swapping it out for another one. So now I have another one and spent a lot more time checking over it before I left. While the good news is I still have that 1 year warranty on this camera. :D :D :D

Cheers,
Bill

Have you tried it with the Sigma yet? :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby mrbillf on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:54 pm

Birddog114 Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:01 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mrbillf wrote:
Well Birddog, thought I would give you an update.

After doing some more analysis I actually found that the Camera wasn't Metering correctly either. Gees, you really need to be careful these day, don't you?

Anyway I took the camera back and I had no problems with swapping it out for another one. So now I have another one and spent a lot more time checking over it before I left. While the good news is I still have that 1 year warranty on this camera.

Cheers,
Bill

Have you tried it with the Sigma yet?

That's funny Birddog....... No. I'll keep using the Nikon lens for a while I think.. :wink: and introduce it slowly so it doesn't get a shock to the system :P :lol:

Thanks,
Bill
mrbillf

Postby Mj on Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:40 pm

Ok... is almost 3pm and at 4pm have agreed to photograph a Christening... charge battery... clean lens... replace battery in D70... and... you guessed it BGLOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not good timing... not sure I can possibly find a spare body at this late notice and looks like I'm about the disappoint the otherwise happy parents.

Damn you Nikon !!!
Mj

Postby antman on Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:13 pm

My D70 has finally died.

Mine was purchased on 15/3/04 and it seems like its one of the real early ones SN:60005 _ _ .

I thought I may have been lucky enough to have missed out on the BGLOD. Unfortunately I let the battery run down in the camera the other day and when I turned it on this morning, nothing but BGLOD.

It's off to Maxwell's in the next couple of days. Hoping the turn around time isn't too long.
Geoff C

My Gallery:http://geoffc.smugmug.com/
antman

Postby Jeff on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:00 pm

Up date on my D70.
Went to Maxwells on 20th of Feb all very pleasant and said would would fix under warranty.Time has gone by and numerous phone calls. Finally got onto a manager who stated that the reason for the delay was that although the parts have ordered some time ago, Nikon will not give them a time of delivery and despite numeruos enquiries from Maxwells no answer from Nikon.
What does the customer do? Makes you want to change camps to Canon.
As we know Nikon makes too much money to be worried about its clients.

Jeff
Jeff

Postby birddog114 on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:05 pm

Jeff,
Understood your rant!
Not only you, there are few people on this board are on waiting list of "The Parts required have been ordered". So stay calm and taking some walk down to the beach.
They've just employed their new technician and he's in training.
No other technician worked with Maxwell more than 6 months same as account managers, they changed staffs more frequently.
I have proof of my say, actually it's from one of the NPS's victims.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Jeff on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:50 pm

Thanks Birddog I'm just surprised that a company like Nikon show little regard for their clients.

Jeff
Jeff

Postby birddog114 on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:52 pm

Jeff wrote:Thanks Birddog I'm just surprised that a company like Nikon show little regard for their clients.

Jeff

It's not REAL Nikon Service, Maxwell is an Agent of Nikon :(
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Jeff on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:24 pm

Do you think the problem is with Maxwells,I got the impression that they were suffering from lack of support from Nikon.

Jeff
Jeff

Postby fozzie on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:25 pm

Jeff,

I dropped mine off to the Nikon agent in Adelaide on 23 Feb, 2006.

I arrived in Sydney last Friday and rang Maxwell's to find out that it will not be ready for another 3-4 weeks. I was hoping to collect while in Sydney.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:32 pm

Jeff wrote:Do you think the problem is with Maxwells,I got the impression that they were suffering from lack of support from Nikon.

Jeff

Nikon supports them very strongly, but they can't handle the stresses which they created.

The problems there are:

- They outsource most the important services.
- They do not have enough staff and engineer to run the workshop.
- Their Tech + engineers are lack of training and product knowledgeables
- Their staff came and gone as the wind blow thru the opened windows.

Have you heard the story of the Nikon F90 required a CCD cleaning, it's a true story and it's not only one of, no CF slot for the F100 :shock: is the second one and I do have more of thousand stories to tell you guys.

Yes, I have proof of what I'm writing.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Matt. K on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:10 pm

Birdy...F90 requires CCD cleaning! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Love it!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:30 am

Matt. K wrote:Birdy...F90 requires CCD cleaning! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Love it!

Matt,
Yep!!! It's! same as the where's the CF slot on the F100?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Make me want one of them straight away.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:00 am

Birddog114 wrote:
Matt. K wrote:Birdy...F90 requires CCD cleaning! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Love it!

Matt,
Yep!!! It's! same as the where's the CF slot on the F100?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Make me want one of them straight away.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course you need to now be extra careful opening the CF slot on your camera, lest you fog the card and thus destroy the images.

But you can always leave the card in the card reader for an extra two minutes if you need to push process your images ...

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Willy wombat on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:03 am

:lol: Funny Gary!
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby Mj on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:44 pm

Dropped my D70 into Maxwell on Tuesday and had a chat about the current situation. They were quite upfront and let me know to expect 4-5 week wait as there is are quite a number of D70 for them to work through... the offending part is sourced from sony btw so that may be source of the supply issue. Maxwell were not geared up and expecting this volume of problem... the D2x has had 2 repair returns to date.

Is always a bugger when these things happen but as I was expecting that I might be hit with the BGLOD I'll not be too critical just yet.
Mj

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:51 pm

Mj wrote:the offending part is sourced from sony, btw so that may be source of the supply issue

Really?????? :shock: :?: :?: :?: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Good excuse!!!!!!

...... the D2x has had 2 repair returns to date.

So you also have a D2x with problems and return twice?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Mj on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:01 pm

Birddog... the sony comment wasn't presented as an excuse by Maxwell just some info in passing.

I haven't an D2x... what I meant was that in comparison to the large number of D70 bodies returning for service they had only had a couple of D2x bodies come back with problems.

Just a little info after an informal conversation with Maxwell over at Lidcome... as always, take with a pinch of salt, but thought I'd share it anyway.
Mj

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:08 pm

With my knowleges and from my hand, I personally handed back to Maxwell:
- 07 x D2x

03 of them are AF calibration with number of lenses which did not work properly with D2x as the 17-55Dx, 12-24.

2 of them are totally dead.

the rest 2 are mixed problems + issues.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Mj on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:23 pm

Always interesting to share some more detailed and accurate information on this sort of thing!!! A little different to what Maxwell suggested to me but then that shouldn't come as any great suprise.
Mj

Postby Geoff on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:26 pm

Well - it appears I am the latest victim of the Blinking Green Light of Death. The absolute irony of this is that I decided to take a few photos around the house after I got back from a meeting at Lidcome which just happened to be in the EXACT same business park as Maxwell's - Murphy was with me I'm sure!!

I am about to call Maxwell's now.... :? :( :(
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Glen on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:28 pm

Geoff, very very sorry to hear that :cry:
Glen

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:28 pm

Sorry to here it Geoff, I hope Maxwell have their act together for you, and you have a it returned in working order soon. (You have a spare body don't you?)
Alpha_7

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:31 pm

Geoff wrote:Well - it appears I am the latest victim of the Blinking Green Light of Death. The absolute irony of this is that I decided to take a few photos around the house after I got back from a meeting at Lidcome which just happened to be in the EXACT same business park as Maxwell's - Murphy was with me I'm sure!!

No need to call them!
They all know this problems, just walk in with the dead D70, no receipt or invoice needed, even if it was from grey market.

Don't forget to bring along a stem of rose or a baseball bat, which is suitable for the greeting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Geoff on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:34 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
Geoff wrote:Well - it appears I am the latest victim of the Blinking Green Light of Death. The absolute irony of this is that I decided to take a few photos around the house after I got back from a meeting at Lidcome which just happened to be in the EXACT same business park as Maxwell's - Murphy was with me I'm sure!!

No need to call them!
They all know this problems, just walk in with the dead D70, no receipt or invoice needed, even if it was from grey market.

Don't forget to bring along a stem of rose or a baseball bat, which is suitable for the greeting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanx Birdy - I will drop it in sometime tomorrow I think. I will take in a rose and leave the baseball bat in the car (as backup) :D :D
Geoff
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:37 pm

Geoff wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:

No need to call them!

Thanx Birdy - I will drop it in sometime tomorrow I think. I will take in a rose and leave the baseball bat in the car (as backup) :D :D

Don't tell Bel about the stem of rose, but let her know that you have baseball bat in the car, so she will know where to find you and what happens if you did not return as planned. :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby wendellt on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:38 pm

sorry to hear that Geoff
lucky you have a backup body

I know how it feels when something breaks
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:40 pm

wendellt wrote:sorry to hear that Geoff

No, it's not broken by accident or incident! it's BLGOD.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Geoff on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:53 pm

wendellt wrote:sorry to hear that Geoff

It is a bit of a bummer but hey - it can be fixed so I'm looking on the bright (not blinking) side of life :wink: .

It's a bummer as I have a portrait shoot this Saturday lol - you are right about the backup body!
Geoff
Geoff

Postby wendellt on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:59 pm

I meant Bel for the emotional support
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Glen on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:23 pm

wendellt wrote:I meant Bel for the emotional support

very subtle Wendell :lol: :lol:
Glen

Postby Geoff on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:50 am

Anyone know how much a courier would cost (sydney metro) to pick up and deliver to maxwell's??
Geoff
Geoff

Postby big pix on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:51 am

Geoff wrote:Anyone know how much a courier would cost (sydney metro) to pick up and deliver to maxwell's??

try Norris Murphy.... ph 94384088
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby birddog114 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:55 am

Geoff wrote:Anyone know how much a courier would cost (sydney metro) to pick up and deliver to maxwell's??

If you have an account with them for standard courier, standard courier's driver won't collect cash or fees.
Alternative way is Taxi and it costs about a full tank of fuel of your car from Northern Beaches to Lidcombe.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:57 am

Oz Post Express Post envelope will be about $10. :)

Be sure to wrap the camera in lots of anti-wendelling. Er, I mean bubble-wrap. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby big pix on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:57 am

does Australia post have a courier service ??? or the yellow pages is your friend....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby birddog114 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:00 am

big pix wrote:does Australia post have a courier service ??? or the yellow pages is your friend....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, still need an account with them.

Gary,
Be careful when sending to Maxwell with that method, Maxwell may not receive it and it's the sender's responsibilities.

And pls. note: OZExpress does not provide you proof of delivery.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Geoff on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:00 am

Birddog114 wrote:

If you have an account with them for standard courier, standard courier's driver won't collect cash or fees.
Alternative way is Taxi and it costs about a full tank of fuel of your car from Northern Beaches to Lidcombe.

A full tank of fuel? Maybe in a big 4WD Birdy, but I went with a full tank yesterday to Lidcome and back and the needle was barely off the full mark.

The Northern Beaches really isn't that far away :P
Geoff
Geoff

PreviousNext

Return to Information