New D70 ver 2.0 Firmware

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby gstark on Tue May 17, 2005 7:47 am

Birddog114 wrote:The same buzzer for not wearing the seatbelt when you got in the car with the key in the car ignition.

I get rid of all the "beep" on all my camera bodies. I gotta control the cameras, not the cameras controls me :wink: it's similar to the "PHD" mode :wink:

Precisely.

Would all car and camera manufacturers please take note of the following: WE ARE NOT IDIOTS!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Charlie Chalk on Tue May 17, 2005 7:49 am

(but can you please leave the "you've left your lights on (you idiot) buzzer thingy please??)
Charlie Chalk

Postby MattC on Tue May 17, 2005 8:00 am

Gary,

For me, that beep is helpful. Yes, I can see through the viewfinder when a shot is in focus, but the camera wont fire in AF-S until focus lock is acheived. The beep just tells me that the camera is ready to fire.
I like audible cues. I wonder how many of us use the sound that the SB800 makes when recharging to determine when the flash is fully charged? BTW, the old Volvo 240 has a horn to tell me when I have left the key in the ignition. That thing drives me nuts. It also has a rather large warning light for seat belts that flashes from the turn light flasher (which makes a racket) - the dogs are always setting the thing off. One day I'll get around to disabling both.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby gstark on Tue May 17, 2005 8:06 am

Charlie Chalk wrote:(but can you please leave the "you've left your lights on (you idiot) buzzer thingy please??)

No; wrong answer. :)

The car can automatically turn off the lights for you, after a few minutes lighting the way up a dark driveway.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Charlie Chalk on Tue May 17, 2005 8:09 am

I can only aspire to the levels of automation you guys have in your Utes (is that how you spell it, I've gained all my Oz knowledge from Neighbours :wink: ).

I'm still getting used to it telling me when there is a door open! (like I didn't notice, the odd child falling outm and a realy bad draft round the back of yolur neck).

Anyway - enough of all this, back to Firmware 2.00.....I love the new menu colours!

CC
Charlie Chalk

Postby gstark on Tue May 17, 2005 8:11 am

MattC wrote:Gary,

For me, that beep is helpful. Yes, I can see through the viewfinder when a shot is in focus, but the camera wont fire in AF-S until focus lock is acheived. The beep just tells me that the camera is ready to fire.

So, don't use AFS.

Or else override that "feature". I'm pretty sure that you can.

I like audible cues. I wonder how many of us use the sound that the SB800 makes when recharging to determine when the flash is fully charged?

Not I; I rely upon time between firings; 5 seconds is plenty.

BTW, the old Volvo 240 has a horn to tell me when I have left the key in the ignition. That thing drives me nuts. It also has a rather large warning light for seat belts that flashes from the turn light flasher (which makes a racket) - the dogs are always setting the thing off. One day I'll get around to disabling both.

The best thing one can do with an old Volvo 240 is to disable (further) the whole car. :)

Volvo makes great cars with wonderful primary and secondary safety features. Too bad their marketing only concentrates upon the secondary, and as a result of that marketing, they attract purchasers who need to rely upon those secondary safety features in order to survive the accidents that they will cause.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Tue May 17, 2005 8:13 am

Charlie Chalk wrote:I can only aspire to the levels of automation you guys have in your Utes

Utes ???

Me ????

That'll be the day.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Charlie Chalk on Tue May 17, 2005 8:16 am

*sorry*

Not really sure what one is, pick-up truck?

I think the world will be forever split into two camps, those that like their focus with a beep and those that don't.

And may either camp carry on taking the pictures they like in the way the like, with the camera they like (so long as its a Nikon!)

CC
Charlie Chalk

Postby MattC on Tue May 17, 2005 8:32 am

Charlie Chalk wrote:.....I love the new menu colours!

Yeah... Makes it feel like a new camera.... for about 5 minutes!

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby MattC on Tue May 17, 2005 8:36 am

OK Gary, I think that this would be about as good as trying to convince you that Sigma makes okay lenses. :)

Cheers :D

Matt
MattC

Postby MattC on Tue May 17, 2005 8:42 am

CC, Utes, automation??? My old diesel hilux had only the charging system and starter motor that worked properly, everything else was always a bit iffy. Still had my audible cues but! Jeez, I miss that old beast.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby SoCal Steve on Tue May 17, 2005 9:39 am

Okay - Let's now ask the next question. What does this mean for the D70s?
I'm assuming that this same 2.0 Firmware will work in the D70s although cameras initially shipped from the factory may have a firmware with White Balance encryption installed on them before a decision was made to remove the offending code. Any thoughts?
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
SoCal Steve

Postby MattC on Tue May 17, 2005 9:46 am

Steve, I seriously doubt that this firmware will work in the d70s. Nikon would have taken measures to prevent that. Good chance that it would not be compatable anyway. As I understand it there are hardware differences - AF for one.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby darb on Tue May 17, 2005 2:37 pm

can anyone tell me if theres a difference between the Asian firmware I installed, and the UK firmware / US firmwares etc?

Also, does anyone know of any documentation regarding a change to the beep. Cant find that anywhere.
darb

Postby Greg B on Tue May 17, 2005 2:48 pm

MattC wrote:BTW, the old Volvo 240 has a horn to tell me when I have left the key in the ignition. That thing drives me nuts. It also has a rather large warning light for seat belts that flashes from the turn light flasher (which makes a racket) - the dogs are always setting the thing off. One day I'll get around to disabling both.

Cheers

Matt

You're going to disable the dogs?
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby leek on Tue May 17, 2005 2:49 pm

darb wrote:can anyone tell me if theres a difference between the Asian firmware I installed, and the UK firmware / US firmwares etc?

Also, does anyone know of any documentation regarding a change to the beep. Cant find that anywhere.

There was a post on dpreview that had the checksum of the US and Asia versions - both the same...

No documentation about the beep, but people on dpreview have been mentioning it as well...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby MattC on Tue May 17, 2005 3:14 pm

Greg B wrote:
MattC wrote:BTW, the old Volvo 240 has a horn to tell me when I have left the key in the ignition. That thing drives me nuts. It also has a rather large warning light for seat belts that flashes from the turn light flasher (which makes a racket) - the dogs are always setting the thing off. One day I'll get around to disabling both.

Cheers

Matt

You're going to disable the dogs?

Now there is a thought that had not occurred to me!!!

Me thinks getting rid of the seat belt warning would be easier. I have the wrath of the other half to consider.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby bago100 on Tue May 17, 2005 9:23 pm

Wish there was a way of controlling the beep sound volume. There are a couple of members on this forum who have lack of hearing issues and being one of them, I've never heard the beep ever, even when it's on.
Still, looking on the bright side, it's better than having seeing issues - at least we can point the camera in the right direction! :lol:
Join the petition for a loud beep
Sign here!
Cheers
Graham
bago100

Postby birddog114 on Tue May 17, 2005 9:33 pm

bago100 wrote:Wish there was a way of controlling the beep sound volume. There are a couple of members on this forum who have lack of hearing issues and being one of them, I've never heard the beep ever, even when it's on.
Still, looking on the bright side, it's better than having seeing issues - at least we can point the camera in the right direction! :lol:
Sign here!
Cheers
Graham

Get an 500w amplifier :lol: attached to the USB port and you hear it loud :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby boxerboy on Tue May 17, 2005 9:39 pm

bago100 wrote:Wish there was a way of controlling the beep sound volume. There are a couple of members on this forum who have lack of hearing issues and being one of them, I've never heard the beep ever, even when it's on.
Sign here!
Cheers
Graham

Version 2.01 will tap you on the shoulder.
my karma just ran over your dogma
boxerboy

Postby boxerboy on Tue May 17, 2005 9:42 pm

Just upgraded mine. Love the way it immediately doubles the CF card capacity! ..and I got the new beep too.

Cheers
Peter
my karma just ran over your dogma
boxerboy

Postby birddog114 on Tue May 17, 2005 9:45 pm

boxerboy wrote:Just upgraded mine. Love the way it immediately doubles the CF card capacity! ..and I got the new beep too.

Cheers
Peter

Peter,
Your D70 is special built-in with compressed data on the CF card :lol:
:lol: :lol:
So 1Gb uncompressed & 2Gb in compressed + new song :shock:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby fozzie on Tue May 17, 2005 9:52 pm

I will be doing my firmware upgrade on Friday 'RDO'. So I can look forward to, new colour scene, increase in CF card 'RAW' capacity, and a beep. Fun day coming up. I might start with a glass of red, and take it from there.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Tue May 17, 2005 10:03 pm

fozzie wrote:I will be doing my firmware upgrade on Friday 'RDO'. So I can look forward to, new colour scene, increase in CF card 'RAW' capacity, and a beep. Fun day coming up. I might start with a glass of red, and take it from there.

You'll get the B&W photos with your u/g without changing CF card :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby johndec on Tue May 17, 2005 10:06 pm

fozzie wrote:I will be doing my firmware upgrade on Friday 'RDO'. So I can look forward to, new colour scene, increase in CF card 'RAW' capacity, and a beep. Fun day coming up. I might start with a glass of red, and take it from there.

Fozzie,
I gather no one has mentioned to you the "make me a cup of coffee" menu option yet :?: This upgrade is full of suprises !!!!
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby fozzie on Tue May 17, 2005 10:09 pm

johndec,

johndec wrote:

Fozzie,
I gather no one has mentioned to you the "make me a cup of coffee" menu option yet :?: This upgrade is full of suprises !!!!

I thought it made latte, have I been lead astray again :lol: .
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby robboh on Tue May 17, 2005 11:10 pm

Well, just upgraded mine and am VERY happy.

I think the B&W menu is a definite upgrade in comparison to the old pink/grey one (which I never liked).

Sitting in my lounge, I took a whole lot of test shots of things I normally shoot when Im messing around. Looked at the new ones and thought 'these look sharper'. I didn't believe it and just thought I was was suffering from 'upgrade disease', so I compared them back to older pics of the same things and sure enough, there is a seriously noticeable difference in sharpness.

Im actually now seeming to be getting the sort of results out of my 2nd-hand 80-200 (2-touch) that I had originally expected. I was always quite disappointed with it and actually thought that maybe I had a duff one. Just nothing ever seemed very sharp, always soft.

To tell the truth, the camera has never seemed particularly sharp in general to me. I was always wondering if I had the infamous back-focus issue and just looking at a couple of my old shots, it does kinda look that way. Be interesting to see what I get with my other lenses.

To give you a quantitative difference without posting examples (I can if anyone is interested), in NC, the new pics are SHARPER with sharpening turned OFF than the old pics are with sharpening set at HIGHEST.

Before anyone says, Ive had a look at the EXIFs and the settings are all pretty much the same, bar that I was using Aperture Priority this evening rather than Auto when I did my last lot of similar shots. (AF-S, Single, generally centred). I just wish I had done a few test shots before upgrading the firmware.

The only other thing is that I took my original shots not long after getting the lens and so was fairly new to it at the time. However, at the time, I felt that I was getting better results out of my 70-210 f4-5.6 than I was out of the 80-200.

Other than that, the AF lock-on in low light seems better (thats all Ive done so far). It seems faster to lock on, with less hunting and more definite about locking on when it gets there. It often used to just sit there thinking about things when it was basically in focus, but not actually moving the lens. Now it just stops moving the lens and beeps. I do think the beep has changed slightly, but who knows :-)

So, all in all, it might just be 'upgrade-itis' but I think its definitely better in the AF dept.
Smile; it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
robboh

Postby leek on Wed May 18, 2005 9:04 am

It's hardly worth mentioning, but there's an update to the user manual that goes with the firmware update - available HERE.

Probably only worth bothering with if you use the Pictbridge printing functionality...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Hlop on Wed May 18, 2005 9:32 am

Geez, nine (9) pages ....

People! What are you still doing here?!
You've got your D70?
You've got your new firmaware?

GO TAKE PHOTOS :!: STOP TALKING :!: :D
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby NetMagi on Wed May 18, 2005 11:49 pm

Add me to the group of ppl that don't seem to have a 'new beep'.

I do like the menus better though, and an accurate counter in RAW mode is nice.
D70, 18-70 DX, Sigma 70-300 APOII, Nikkor 50mm 1.4D, SB800, Bogen 3046 w/Manfrotto 322RC2 ballhead, Lowepro Nova 2 AW
NetMagi

Postby darb on Thu May 19, 2005 12:03 am

ok there was an mp3 sample of the old beep vs new beep on dpreview ... and mine definately sounds like the NEW beep. The thing is, it always did sound like that ?! Listening to the "pre firmware 2 beep", ive never heard the beep before.

Odd? Possible? Should i be alert, but not alarmed? Should I call ASIO or just monitor the situation.
darb

Postby MCWB on Thu May 19, 2005 12:50 am

darb wrote:Should I call ASIO or just monitor the situation.

ASIO are already monitoring the situation. 8) :wink:
MCWB

Postby johndec on Thu May 19, 2005 12:55 am

darb wrote:ok there was an mp3 sample of the old beep vs new beep on dpreview ... and mine definately sounds like the NEW beep. The thing is, it always did sound like that ?! Listening to the "pre firmware 2 beep", ive never heard the beep before.

Odd? Possible? Should i be alert, but not alarmed? Should I call ASIO or just monitor the situation.

Gee Darb, I'm sorry I mentioned it... I'm worrying that you might be losing sleep over this :shock: :lol:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby NetMagi on Thu May 19, 2005 1:04 am

here's the mp3 sample link posted at dpreview:

http://www.benseese.com/D70firmwaretest/D70_beep.mp3

I also never had the initial beep. I'm wondering if cameras shipping with 1.03 had a different beep than the 1.03 firmware posted on Nikon's site.
D70, 18-70 DX, Sigma 70-300 APOII, Nikkor 50mm 1.4D, SB800, Bogen 3046 w/Manfrotto 322RC2 ballhead, Lowepro Nova 2 AW
NetMagi

Postby NetMagi on Thu May 19, 2005 2:54 am

before I loaded the firmware, I expected to lose all my settings and custom tonal curve, but it all seems intact. I'm mainly worried about the custom curve. Does the D70 retain the custom curve during firmware upgrade?

-Rich
NetMagi

Postby Onyx on Thu May 19, 2005 3:27 am

Yep, it retains custom curve, and all settings during firmware upgrade.
Onyx

Postby gleff on Thu May 19, 2005 8:38 am

NetMagi wrote:here's the mp3 sample link posted at dpreview:

http://www.benseese.com/D70firmwaretest/D70_beep.mp3

I also never had the initial beep. I'm wondering if cameras shipping with 1.03 had a different beep than the 1.03 firmware posted on Nikon's site.

My beep pre and post update sound like the first beep in the mp3. Personally, I like the first beep better, so i'm glad mine hasn't changed.

Curious though as to why some people's have changed, and others haven't.

Geoff
http://www.gleff.com

Postby stubbsy on Thu May 19, 2005 12:16 pm

Well I'm glad you posted the mp3 beep link guys. I can rest easy now. I couldn't detect any difference in my beep after the upgrade and thought I was going tone deaf :cry: . Now I've listened to the mp3 I know I've ALWAYS had the "new" beep. I bought my camera in December 04 and it had 1.02 firmware. I'm guessing only the early production runs had the "old" beep.

Edit Just realised this makes mine the opposite to Geoff's - weird :shock:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Alex on Thu May 19, 2005 12:19 pm

My beep tone has changed too.

Alex
Alex

Postby sirhc55 on Thu May 19, 2005 12:20 pm

I must admit that I’m reaching the point of being ”beeping” mad - forget how the beep sounds and take some pics :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby stubbsy on Thu May 19, 2005 12:21 pm

Here's a :twisted: thought. The pitch of the beep in the new firmware indicates when your camera has reached its half life. If you have the new beep then your camera is on the downhill slope to replacement.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby sheepie on Thu May 19, 2005 1:57 pm

stubbsy wrote:Here's a :twisted: thought. The pitch of the beep in the new firmware indicates when your camera has reached its half life. If you have the new beep then your camera is on the downhill slope to replacement.

...so if we have the beep turned off will our camera last forever? :wink:
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Hlop on Thu May 19, 2005 2:00 pm

sheepie wrote:
stubbsy wrote:Here's a :twisted: thought. The pitch of the beep in the new firmware indicates when your camera has reached its half life. If you have the new beep then your camera is on the downhill slope to replacement.

...so if we have the beep turned off will our camera last forever? :wink:

Nah, you have to kill another D70 camera to get it's life (Highlander theme) :)
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby pippin88 on Thu May 19, 2005 3:32 pm

Updated firmware - not a hitch.

I seem to have the new beep, was running 1.01 and 1.02 before this.
Not sure about AF performance, just received my 70-300 ED so I stuck that on, maybe slightly improved, but I was doing rather low light. 1/1.3s at F4.5 or so.

Menus are a change, but look quite good.
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby xerubus on Fri May 20, 2005 10:13 am

can someone please do me a favour and try this....

i can no longer use a remote when in M mode and bulb since the upgrade to the new version of both the A & B firmware. Can someone please confirm that it works okay for them both in M mode and bulb, and M mode and some other shutter speed.

much appreciated.

if it's an issue i'll be going back to the previous firmware immediately.

cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby sirhc55 on Fri May 20, 2005 10:39 am

xerubus wrote:can someone please do me a favour and try this....

i can no longer use a remote when in M mode and bulb since the upgrade to the new version of both the A & B firmware. Can someone please confirm that it works okay for them both in M mode and bulb, and M mode and some other shutter speed.

much appreciated.

if it's an issue i'll be going back to the previous firmware immediately.

cheers

Mark - works fine for me
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby xerubus on Fri May 20, 2005 10:44 am

sirhc55 wrote:Mark - works fine for me

just one more thing... are you using raw?

cheers.. and thanks chris...
xerubus

Postby sirhc55 on Fri May 20, 2005 10:46 am

xerubus wrote:

RAW all the way :D
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby xerubus on Fri May 20, 2005 10:50 am

sirhc55 wrote:
xerubus wrote:

RAW all the way :D

damn!! must be user error!! <insert angry words> :cry:

thanks chris.. much appreciated.
xerubus

Postby sirhc55 on Fri May 20, 2005 10:56 am

Now I can admit Mark to being a bit of an idiot :oops:

When I started testing it did not work - reason, I forgot to set the camera to remote mode :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

PreviousNext

Return to Information