A new sub-forum?

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

A new sub-forum?

Postby joey on Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:16 am

I read whirlpool forums. I’ve read a thread in which the guy was telling people about his
Photography gear being stolen: 3 lenses and a 350D from his house. The gear was not insured. :wink: It made me think about insuring my photography gear.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... m?t=702318

On photo.net website – a popular informational resource on photography – there’s a sub-forum on which people publish their stories about stolen photography gear. Usually, people describe what was stolen from them, they may publish serial numbers too. I don’t think it’s very effective since people from all over the world are gathering on that forum.

I thought we may have created something similar for Australian public. In Australia, we have relatively a small market of used photography equipment. I think it is easier to watch out for photography equipment that has been stolen and put on sale. If we can help to catch one or two scumbags it’d worthwhile having such a sub forum.
Last edited by joey on Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikons: D200, N80. Nikkors: 20-35 f/2.8 AFD, 50mm f/1.4 AFD. Speedlights: SB800.
joey

Postby gstark on Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:04 am

It's been discussed many times before.

Part of the problem is one of security for the owner of the gear: consider the wisdom of publishing full details of all of what you own: some contend it to be a risk to their own security.

We've considered creating a database of gear held by our members, but (a) consider the above point, (b) who's responsible for updating and maintaining it? and (c) who should have access to it?

When people have gear stolen, they're more than welcome to post details of the unfortunate occurrence here, and we're happy to help in any practical way that we can, but I'm not sure that it warrants a forum.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby joey on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:05 am

If it's been discussed in the past and was decided not to open a sub-forum, then I won't continue with this topic
Nikons: D200, N80. Nikkors: 20-35 f/2.8 AFD, 50mm f/1.4 AFD. Speedlights: SB800.
joey

tis me

Postby GranG on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:35 pm

Thanks Joey - I appreciate you asking around.

That was my gear. I did a seach and found your post.. .thanks.

For what itis worth, I'll make a post int he General Forum... the Sigma 50-500 lens is not a very common one.
GranG

Return to Information