'Signs'... of a One Hour Mini Project...

What is your personal photographic journey? In a photographic sense, how did you start, and with what equipment? How have you progressed, and where are you, and your photographic skillset, placed today?

This is a place where members may share their personal photographic journey. Some of our normal posting rules are suspended within this section. To illustrate you story, for instance, you may post more than the normal 4 or so images. In fact, we actively encourage you to share with us images that illustrate how your photography has changed since you started. So readers with slower connections please be warned that postings made within this section may be - will be - larger than the norm.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Remorhaz on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:49 am

I attempted another mini project during the week. I didn't have enough time to spare in one lunchtime to do it all on this occasion so I spread the time over two lunchtimes walking the streets near my office.

As with the last mini project I limited my time - this time to an hour in total - and I retained the limited equipment choices. Again I only shot with a single prime focal length (the 35mm f/2) and again no post shot cropping allowed and only a relatively simple conversion of each to monochrome.

For this mini project I started with the idea of "Signs" - at first I was taking this more literally (as in road signs :)) but eventually included other symbolism as other ideas came to mind (in fact I had many more I would have liked to have tried if only I could have found subjects or things to match the ideas). Time and locations however proved to be elusive but I still think the experience limiting options is good for photographic growth...

and onto the show - thoughts? - in addition to a favourite I wouldn't mind knowing which "you" thought were the weakest images to remove from the set...

Follow the Signs

Signs of Life

Signs of Excess

Signs of Misdirection

Fancy Footwork

Riding on Signs

Signs of Culture

Tagging Signs
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Re: 'Signs'... of a One Hour Mini Project...

Postby aim54x on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Great stuff!! Loving the monochrome
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Matt. K on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:46 pm

Rodney
You are on fire! The third image is the one that took my breath away. Photographic impressionism at its finest.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby surenj on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:02 pm

These are clear signs that you are kicking ass. :cheers:
surenj

Postby chrisk on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Sign me up for #4. Great stuff. I also really like the arrow with the bird on it. Very cool !
The weakest for me are the bottom 2 and ironically the 3rd which Matt loves. lol
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:20 am

For me, the bicycle sign photo is the best with the other signs painted on the road second. Like Chris, the ones he pointed out are less strong in the context of the theme and the other images. I feel they are more just captures of what you saw rather than your interpretation of them.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Remorhaz on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:50 am

aim54x wrote:Great stuff!! Loving the monochrome

Thanks Cam - most of these (all the ones I took on the same day) were processed in the same way (think select all and make global adjustments to all at once) so they'd have a "consistent" look and feel - it was "interesting" doing it this way because you weren't then optimising the mono conversion for just one image but rather something that looked ok for the set - trickier I found. (NB: The first two were from the prev day and had a diff processing (it wasn't raining/wet on the ground that day)

Matt. K wrote:Rodney, You are on fire! The third image is the one that took my breath away. Photographic impressionism at its finest.

Thanks Matt

surenj wrote:These are clear signs that you are kicking ass.
 LOLage :)

Rooz wrote:Sign me up for #4. Great stuff. I also really like the arrow with the bird on it. Very cool ! The weakest for me are the bottom 2 and ironically the 3rd which Matt loves. lol

Ahh someone likes the bird - yay :)

Reschsmooth wrote:For me, the bicycle sign photo is the best with the other signs painted on the road second. Like Chris, the ones he pointed out are less strong in the context of the theme and the other images. I feel they are more just captures of what you saw rather than your interpretation of them.

interesting... I did like all the arrows on the roads but I pegged the bicycle one for last. Thanks for the insight re the last two and I believe I'm convinced thanks :cheers:
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby biggerry on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:33 am

I like teh third last, the image of the cycle way and a bike on the footpath - possibly a fraction wider and a fraction less vignetting would be my only suggestion.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Return to Personal Photographic Journeys