Movies with Photography as the Theme

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Movies with Photography as the Theme

Postby Greg B on Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:49 pm

When I was a young bloke, I was heavily influenced by the fantastic sixties movie, Blow Up. Directed by Michelangelo Antonioni and starring the very groovy David Hemmings as the photog. The convertible Rolls, the naked girls, the Carnaby street style - sensational.

He is taking some shots in the park, printing later, notices something, blows up the photo, blows it up again, and there it is - he has captured a murder happening.

Well worth a view, even almost forty years later. There are also elements of the Austin Powers sensibilities in there, except they are not referential, they are the reference.

Any others?
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby bago100 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:32 pm

Yep Greg - I remember that movie and I'm pretty sure I saw it at a drive in.

Are there any drive in's left these days?

My goodness, speaker on the car window (who forgot to put it back before driving off? - Not me), car boots being checked for freeloaders as one queued to buy your ticket McDonalds drive through style. And of course the bumper to bumper exit (and lots of nose to tail prangs as well)

Ah - those were the days! :D

Graham
bago100

Postby Dargan on Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:44 pm

Another movie worthy of comment is Blade Runner (Do androids dream of electric sheep?) Can some remember the scene where one of the first uses of digital photography techniques I can remember being used occurs as he blows up details on a monitor.
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Killakoala on Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:11 pm

Bladerunner is one of my favorite movies. 12 Monkeys is another in that similar genre.

Now back on topic, One Hour Photo with Robin Williams starring as an eccentric photo lab tech. I found this film really frustrating. I wanted to see it through to the end but i found it a difficult film to watch, mostly because of it's confrontationalism. Not a good film to watch if you have a weak stomach for suspense. (Not gore).....Robin Williams acted brilliantly in the film and i ended up hating his character.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:16 pm

What about the Australian film Proof... about a blind photographer?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Return to General Discussion