Opinions On Manfrotto 190D + 141RC Head

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby snafu on Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:27 am

I was at PRA in Perth on Thursday and saw this setup for $210.00 on clearance. The salesperson said that it was a bargain and would be suitable for the D70 set-up. I thought that it looked like a good deal, but I always like to thoroughly research any product before making a purchase.

I am not a "professional" photographer - (photography student), so I don't want to be spending bigger bucks than this if I don't have to.

However, if this combo is not recommended, please offer suggestions that you may think would be suitable (and in a realistic price bracket). I also do not want a "monster" of a tripod (as in weight) to carry around either; I am a female with a slim build, so the lighter, the better.

Thanks in advance
snafu

Postby plukaduck on Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:39 am

snafu,

I have just purchased a Manfrotto 440 Carbon Fibre. Got it for a very good price from Korea when I was there. I did have another couple of tripods I was using but found I did not take them a lot of places because of the weight.

I think you need to purchase a good tripod to start, then you will get the most use out of it, or like myself keep upgrading and this ends up a very expensive option.

Cheers,
D70, kit lens, 70 - 200VR lens, 12-24 lens, SB 800, Lowe Pro Mini Trekker, Manfrotto Carbon 440 Tripod, Velbon ball head Monopod, Ikelite Underwater Housing, Ikelite 125 Strobe, 60GB X Drive Pro.
plukaduck

Postby birddog114 on Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:24 am

Snafu,
I've been down the road with many (6) heavy tripod from Manfrotto, Velbon and Gitzo and like Pluckaduck mentioned, I never carry them with me in any event or assigment, too heavy + my gears, sold or passed them to friends.

Now only CARBON FIBER tripod is my choice, what's ever brand, carbon fiber is the way to go, I have gear set up from 1kg (Cam + lens) upto approx. 6kg so far, very sturdy, solid and lightweight, easy to handle, last with many years to come.
If you can't afford now try to save and get one as Mafrotto 440/ 441 or Gitzo 1325.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:04 am

Well I picked up a Bogen 3001D in the states, on the legs, next to the Manfrotto sticker is inscribed 190CL - I'm guessing the 190D is in the same series. If so, it would make a great set of legs for the D70. Individually adjustable leg angles, low shooting adapter stored on the bottom of centre column, super sexy finish. If what I'm describing is the same as the 190D, I would certainly recommend it.

Weight could be an issue however. I don't find it overtly heavy, but then again I tend to lug around more stuff than most people.
Onyx

Opinions Manfrotto Tripod

Postby Andyt on Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:19 pm

I also purchased the 190 series tripod with the RC 141C head from PRA in Perth. The actual Tripod is great! sturdy, multi adjustable legs, quick release catches which are adjustable for tension. However, I replaced the tilt / pan head with a ball head for speed of adjustment and ease of use. The quick release plate system works a treat.

Weight is always an issue with tripods, but then again, isn't that the purpose? A steady / stable platform for the camera? Rather than pay the extra for carbon fibre I saved the money and spent it elsewhere on my camera outfit. IMHO.
Andyt

Postby snafu on Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:23 pm

Thanks for all the quick replies. This forum is great! :-)

I have had a look on-line at the Manfrotto 440 carbon tripod. Although it comes highly recommended, it is definitely out of my price range at the present time.

Cheers
Kristine
snafu

Postby snafu on Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:44 pm

Hi Andyt

I am driving back up there and having another look now.

Cheers
Kristine
snafu

Postby plukaduck on Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:59 pm

Have a look here, maybe you can get one for a very good price on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... eName=WDVW

Cheers,
D70, kit lens, 70 - 200VR lens, 12-24 lens, SB 800, Lowe Pro Mini Trekker, Manfrotto Carbon 440 Tripod, Velbon ball head Monopod, Ikelite Underwater Housing, Ikelite 125 Strobe, 60GB X Drive Pro.
plukaduck

Postby snafu on Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:44 pm

Hi plukaduck

Thanks for the link. I checked that item out the other day on eBay, but it was second hand (looks in good condition though).

I did consider purchasing from Henrys.Com (their eBay store), but decided to go back up to PRA in Perth and get the Manfrotto 190D + 141RC Head. In the end, I was happy to get this model - it is a more realistic price range for me and is not too heavy for me to carry with my current camera gear set-up (did a test to make sure).

Thanks for everyones input.

Cheers
Kristine
snafu

Postby birddog114 on Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:58 pm

snafu wrote:Hi plukaduck

Thanks for the link. I checked that item out the other day on eBay, but it was second hand (looks in good condition though).

I did consider purchasing from Henrys.Com (their eBay store), but decided to go back up to PRA in Perth and get the Manfrotto 190D + 141RC Head. In the end, I was happy to get this model - it is a more realistic price range for me and is not too heavy for me to carry with my current camera gear set-up (did a test to make sure).

Thanks for everyones input.

Cheers
Kristine

Kristine,
You're happy then it's yours and you'll enjoy it!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Andyt on Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:20 am

Hi! Kristine,

Just a quick "ps", forgot to mention the fact that here on the "good side" we have the Fremantle Doctor, ever tried to use a light tripod outdoors when the sea breeze was in?...... sunsets, seascapes etc.... the 190 series Manfrotto has a ring underneath to allow for the attachment of a weight if required. I use a plastic bucket filled with dry sand (or crushed ice & "lemonade") when the need arises. Stops people from accidently knocking over the lemonade and a $2.5K+ camera and lense. :wink:

Regards,
Andyt
Andyt

Postby Onyx on Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:04 am

About that weight ring - make sure whatever you're hanging off it plus the tripod head and camera attached are still under the weight limit of the legs!
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:11 am

That exactly what's my thoughts and am going to post, the 190 series are not designed for using with heavy equipments, strong wind or unstable platform same as overweight hanging over the ring will make the tripod collapse and no warranty there. It's Ok to use with the D70 and kit lens but further down the track with more long or heavy lens, it's not sturdy enough.
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to General Discussion