Oh no..is my D70 sick?

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

How new is the camera

Postby Geoff on Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:35 pm

Purchase date June 20, 2004.
Geoff

Update...

Postby Geoff on Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:04 pm

Spoke to service manager again and he told me he still hadn't heard from Nikon, and when I queried that all it was was a phone call, he said that it was rare for phone calls to be made and that email is their preferred method of communication..I still queried why it had taken so long and he basically said it was out of his hands and that he expected to hear by tomorrow..this is starting to piss me off already.
Geoff

Postby Glen on Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:28 pm

Stay strong Geoff, I am sure this will get resolved. If you are not getting satisfaction after tomorrow, don't be afraid to move up a level
Glen

Postby Raydar on Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:30 pm

Hang in there mate, I can understand you feelings ATM.
Give them until tomorrow afternoon, and then demand answers :evil:

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby MHD on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:27 pm

I'm kind of worried now!

I tried to take a longish exposure (13s) and the bottom of the image did not get exposed!

It was just before battery was drianed to I hope its due to the mirror not getting all the way up.. Battery is on charge and Im hoping that will fix it!!!
MHD

Good (and bad) news!

Postby Geoff on Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:08 pm

Well..I got a call from the Service Manager at Maxwell today - part arrived today..will be fixed by mid next week..I was out there driving my Dad's PC back from repair itself..and..I had stopped at a traffic light and a SEMI TRAILER ran up the back of my car..and yes..I stopped very safely and was in front of him for about 2km's before I came to the stop..anyway..been a pretty stressful day, but..no one was hurt..he was a nasty nasty piece of work though..every second word was 'fuc*en'...then he threatened to drive over my 'piece of s&^t" ....here's the damage..yes..I have full insurance and I can't speak highly enough of AAMI...cheers.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~geoffyates ... C00009.JPG

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:34 pm

Sorry to hear your problem again!!!
But good news is Cameron wil back on your hands soon!You worked hard for it!!!!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Glen on Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:10 am

Geoff, glad you are ok and Cameron as well :D
Glen

Postby Onyx on Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:18 am

Geoff, glad that you're okay, but sorry to hear of your continued misfortunes - they say bad things comes in threes, so with Cameron, your dad's PC and now the car accident, your luck is sure to turn soon! AAMI have helpful staff, but their repairers are definitely the lowest bidder types. Be sure to get an independent inspection of the work done after repairs (NRMA or your local mechanic/panel beater). We've had some dodgy repair work done on our near new Pulsar when it was involved in a similar rear-ender (massive overspray underneath the smash repairers neglected to clean up, +140km on the odometer, on a new car with only 330kms on it at the time).
Onyx

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:58 am

Geoff,

Good news on Cameron. I think that this shows that it pays to be persistant.

Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad to hear that you're ok; that is by far the most important factor.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby wahr42 on Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:27 am

Geoff,
Hope all gets cleared up without too much trouble. Glad to know your alright!

I haven't updated you guys for a bit- I rang the shop for my camera yet again, (I've had to call every single time since this started)
on:
Monday - no news, nobody available to talk to

Wednesday - still awaiting parts - spoke to parts person, "could be 3-4weeks" I've already been waiting 3 weeks, and that's all you can tell me? then told yet again the usual "most repairs take a while, blah, blah..."

-Spoke to Maxwell service again- Best thing you can do is give your serial number and ask them to track the parts order, only answers they give though, "they're on order, nothing more"

Friday - "Call back this afternoon we have another delivery coming then"

Friday arvo - "yes we have your parts and it should be ready next week" (probably the same parts delivery as Geoff's)

I can't believe that it can go from 3-4 weeks to 2 days! Are they that out of touch?! For being the only Nikon authorised repair shop in QLD you'd think they'd have some sort of relationship that allows them to keep the customer happy. Not a chance. I have been friendly along the whole process, but still persistent, trying to work my way up the chain of command only to be shut down with the same answers.

Still can't wait to have my poor lonely camera back!
Peter
wahr42

He's BACK!!

Postby Geoff on Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:25 pm

Yep...returned to my place today via courier...YES! I'm still at work and won't get to see him until I get home later on..but this is awesome..looking forward to taking some water shots...watch this (or nearby) space! :)

Geoff.
Geoff

Re: He's BACK!!

Postby gstark on Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:11 pm

Geoff wrote:looking forward to taking some water shots...watch this (or nearby) space! :)

Or perhaps even a wet space.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:18 pm

Congratulations on the return Geoff. Don't drop it into the water.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Flyer on Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:31 pm

Well?!
How is it?!
Hope all is good... :D
Flyer

It's good

Postby Geoff on Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:00 am

Yep...took about 15-20 continuous shots..no dramas! :) I am VERY happy today! :)
Geoff

Tis Back

Postby wahr42 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:51 am

Hey Guys,

I have my camera back!, with "full service report". I put the camera in for a sensor clean and the "shutter err message" problem, the Report is soooo detailed:

"Dismantle. Replace power switch circuit. Reassemble, clean sensor and test"

My questions on why that was replaced? and what the actual problem they found? were unanswered, again. It would be nice to know, hopefully it doesn't happen again.

So far, all seems well, the sensor clean wasn't perfect either, I tested straight away, still about 5 quite fine dots, better then before though. Might have to get the pecpads and fluid for next time.

It's great to have it back anyway! :D
wahr42

Postby birddog114 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:08 am

wahr42,
Glad to hear that you got it back!
Hard to judge isn't it? but try to make it hard work and will see.
To clean CCD, I don't trust them cos, not their camera and they didn't pay for it so I always do it by myself.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Previous

Return to General Discussion