Bad Experience in Africa - Robbed at gunpoint

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Bad Experience in Africa - Robbed at gunpoint

Postby Spooky on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:52 pm

My wife Corinne and I have had an unfortunate incident which I will summarise here. We were five days into a 7 week photographic trip of Africa. On the first leg we were camping at the Okajima/Africat complex about 200kms north of Windhoek in Namibia.

At 3am local time on the 2nd of February our camp was attacked. A group of men with guns and knives pulled all of the 9 people in the group and the 3 guides from our tents and dragged us into the middle of the camp, a few of us were punched and fell and had minor injuries like cut feet. A gunshot was fired in the air. Most of us were half naked and dazed and lights were shined in our eyes. We were robbed of just about everything at knifepoint, money passports, camera gear clothing etc, even took peoples wedding rings. They loaded the Wild Dog tour truck with our gear while we lay face down in a group on the ground, everyone was terrified they would execute us when finished. They started binding us up but decided they didn’t want to waste the time. Then they must have all jumped in our Wild Dog truck and left. They had terrorized us for about 25mins all up.

Corinne found her mobile phone still in our tent, most of the phones had been taken and the head guide rang the boss at Wild Dog to sound the alarm. She rang the main lodge at Okajima to alert them. We huddled together and tried to stop shaking surprised we were actually still alive and started a fire to keep warm as most of us had lost our clothes. After about 25mins a vehicle arrived from the lodge with an armed Guide.

Basically when the sun came up they moved us to the main lodge and the police arrived and took our statements. The lodge people looked after us and accommodated and fed us as none of us had money or passports etc. They put us up in their luxury villa for the night.

The trackers from the lodge found the Wild dog truck abandon and we eventually recovered some possessions, just mostly some clothes and things our attackers didn’t want, but they carried the rest of our gear including my camera backpacks to the road and were picked up by another vehicle and escaped. The police have not caught them as yet and I am not hopeful of getting any of our stuff back.

Corinne and I have now returned home. It took us 5 days to arrange the travel because we had no documents, the dealings with the Namibian government were very difficult, very frustrating when you have all ready been through a traumatic event. Wild Dogs Safaris and our family back home and our travel agent were very supportive of us. Corinne and I have lost all our money we brought for our 7 week Africa holiday, our credit and cash cards, our passports and visas, all my camera equipment, laptop etc. I lost all my images from the first 4 days of the trip of the Dunes of the Namib desert.

So basically I am devastated at this point after planning the trip for so long and so carefully. We have been extremely unlucky. That lodge has operated for 16 years and has never had an armed attack like that before.

I am hoping my insurance will cover most of my losses, cancelled tours, airfares and my camera gear but we had a fair bit of USD on me that was lost and I know we can't claim and also I doubt we can cliam the airfare over and back.

As for lessons learned I don't know what we could have done different to protect ourselves. We were on an arranged tour in a "safe" area with 3 guides. When you are awoken at 3am in the morning and dragged from your tent by multiple guys with guns and knives there is nothing you can do to protect yourself and your wife let alone your camera gear.

Will let you know how I go with the claims.

Thanks for listening.

Brett
Spooky

Re: Bad Experience in Africa - Robbed at gunpoint

Postby Big V on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:56 pm

Sorry to hear of your bad luck - no one should have to experience that. Hope you have better luck with the insurance.
Canon
Big V

Postby Glen on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:03 pm

Brett, that is a terrifying story, glad to read that everyone came out physically ok and that your wife & you are safe home. I hope tidying the insurance side is straightforward and that you both eventually recover from the experience.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby W00DY on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:22 pm

WOW... :shock:

Sorry to here you had to go through something like this, that would have been terrifying.

At least you are home safe, which is the main thing and hope everything goes smoothly with replacing your gear. Should we warn Poon that a new order could be on it's way?

Cheers.
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby the foto fanatic on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:23 pm

Brett
I can't imagine how absolutely frightening that must have been.

I know it must be difficult to do so, but my advice would be to forget about the lost images and money. Replace whatever gear you can with the help of your insurance, and be thankful that neither you nor your wife were injured.

Our thoughts are with you.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby losfp on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:54 pm

Brett, I'm sorry to hear that. Very sobering tale, especially as I am very keen on Africa as our next big travel location - I will just have to reassess in a couple of years when I was planning on considering going...

Agree with cricketfan - the gear and money and clothes etc are just things, you and your wife are safe and that's all that matters in the end.

I hope you have a good run with insurance to recoup most of your losses, and that you will eventually be able to return and complete the trip at a later date. Good to hear that you generally had a lot of support from the tour operators etc.
losfp

Postby big pix on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:01 pm

Sorry to hear of your bad experience, but glad you and your wife are OK........

........ there goes my Photo trip to Africa...... Dobbo Zoo looks good
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Bindii on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:07 pm

Oh how awful for you both! *hugs*
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:16 pm

Sorry to hear of your ordeal! All the best with your insurance claims and sorting the other matters out.

The positive is that both of you were not physically hurt in the event and that you managed to return in one piece.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby radar on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:38 pm

Sorry to hear Brett,

You were all lucky to escape mostly unhurt. Good luck with the insurance.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby glamy on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:43 pm

I feel sorry for you and your wife. Such a low after what must have been such a high and the frustration of being unable to do anything... The thing is these days there are very few safe places and even then fate may have it that you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Look on the bright side: you have had an experience that money cannot buy, both of you are safe and in some time I hope you will look at it without too much resentment.
Cheers,
Gerard
glamy

Postby Yi-P on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Sorry to hear this terrifying story, but I'm so glad that you made it in physically good shape.

All the valuable been lost but glad you and your wife still alive and all those lost can be earned/bought back again.

Good luck with the claims. :)
Yi-P

Postby ATJ on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:17 pm

Brett,

I'm sorry for your ordeal, your losses and the fact that your trip of a lifetime was ruined.

It makes my trivial delivery problems pale into insignificance.
ATJ

Postby methd on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:00 pm

Money can't buy life... you can go back there and you can buy camera gear again. It's something to tell the grandkids, that's for sure.
http://www.lumensphotography.com
Nikon gear. D3x, D3s, D3 ... and lots of lenses.
methd

Postby Willy wombat on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:05 pm

What a story! :shock: :shock:
I dont think I could cope with trauma like that.

Lucky to escape with your lives by the sound of things. Glad to hear you made it home in one piece!
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:27 pm

Brett - it is great news that you can post this traumatic experience on the forum, it means that you and your wife survived, and that’s the most important thing to remember.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby adame on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:33 pm

Mate tough luck, Hope all of you monetary and possessional loss is covered by insurance but i could understand that will probably never cover your trauma.

Adam
Please don't use or edit my images.

D200x2, kit lens, Sigma 105mm f2.8, Nikkor 50mm F1.4, SB600, SB800, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Sigma 1.4x TC, 2x TC, Sigma 120-300 f2.8
adame

Postby Matt. K on Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:27 pm

Don't let this ordeal harden you to life. Thieves rarely enjoy the booty of their crimes and at this very moment are probably fighting over the spoils and wondering which amongst them will rat to the police for a reward. They will end up tearing each other apart eventually. And you have a great tale for the grandkids! I hope the insurance company looks after you. If not, then let the forum know and we will spread the word.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby DVEous on Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:36 pm

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sat May 03, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby byrt_001 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:01 pm

Sorry to hear, but at least you are alive.

Africa is a beautiful continent but very unsafe. I left South Africa almost 3 years now and I just can not tell you how dangerous it is just to walk to the corner shop!

Be grateful that you escaped with your lives and with without serious injuries.

Regards

Christian
check my website>> http://www.6701.sunpixs.com
byrt_001

Postby rookie2 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:53 pm

S*** has certainly happened to you and your good wife Brett but as all have said , at least you are here to tell us about it....certainly not the photographic journey any of us want to take in the future!!.

Desperate people in desperate places sometimes do terrible things, so you are very lucky to be alive to tell us your story. In todays world it really could happen anywhere (ie an AirNZ flights!)

No doubt a traumatic experience that I hope the good people here can help you through with their assortment of advice, good humour and helpful insurance advice!!

Stay safe, have a cold beer and hope to see you posting pics again soon!

cheers

R2
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rookie2

http://www.DLdigital.smugmug.com
rookie2

Postby Dargan on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:44 am

It does seem as though you are lucky to still be alive. A dreadful experience for you both. I hope you can recover from the incident.
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Old Bob on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:26 am

Really sorry to hear of you and your wifes ordeal. This incident will live in your memory forever, but don't let those mongrels stop you enjoying many more photographic adventures. It may help to record all your experiences while it is fresh in your mind, and you never know, someone may pay you to publish it.

Bob
Old Bob

Postby makario on Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:51 am

Hi Brett,

I would like to echo the sentiments of the other above. You can always buy new gear, but you cant get life back. Glad you both are back home safe.

Cheers
Mak
Canonian
"The Reward is in the doing of it..!!" - Worlds Fastest Indian (2005)
http://www.redbubble.com/people/makro
makario

Postby Geoff on Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:43 am

Brett,
What an awful encounter :(.
Really pleased you are ok, don't under estimate the power of some counselling to talk this through, you will be surprised how it may help you move on. Take care buddy.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Spooky on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:16 am

Thanks to all for the messages of support, it is appreciated. I am currently doing up a shopping list of camera gear and electronics, amazing just how much stuff I had in my camera bags. I think I will spend the next week searching the net and ordering. Well maybe I will hold off on the ordering till the new credit card arrives.

Cheers
Brett
Spooky

Postby marcotrov on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:37 pm

You're back in Aus now alive and well. That's got to be a big plus. Hope everything else falls into place for you and Corinne Brett. Really makes you think about travel to such places in this day and age. On balance you were very unlucky but you just keep hearing too many others being 'unlucky' times are indeed dangerous and will, i'm afraid, become more so as the gap between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' widens in the world. I've always dreamt of trekking through Kenya, Namibia etc :(
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Slider on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:10 pm

Good to see that you are back safe and sound after what must have been a totally horrific experience.

The money and losses are secondary to your well being but to have what would have been a trip of a lifetime wreaked by such low lifes must be a bitter pill to swallow. Hope all goes well from here on in.
Cheers
Mark :) http://www.photographicaustralia.com
http://www.trekaboutphotography.com

He who dies with the most lenses wins...
Slider

Postby ozimax on Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:41 pm

It was a relief to read the end of your story and find that you escaped without physical harm. The gear is nothing compared to your safety. (I have many missionary friends around the world who are in constant danger despite their complete selfless lifestyles of sacrifice and giving to others. PNG, a scary place, is very much like Africa and it's just north of us.)

Anyway, glad that you're home and safe.

Ozi.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby stubbsy on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:40 pm

Brett. Firstly my comisserations to Corinne and yourself for what sounds like a terrifying ordeal. The sheer randomness of this is probably just that and I'd urge you to not let this sad event dissuade you from future travels in the "less safe" parts of the world. You could just as easily be in the wrong place etc in the US or Europe - if we lived our lives in fear of such extreme outcomes we'd never leave our house. As you say, you did everything right. Merely talking about this is good too as it is useful to undurden yourself of such things. I wish you good luck with your insurance and hope you both put this distasteful experience behind you as quickly as possible.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Killakoala on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:18 pm

Strueth, that's shocking. I can only imagine how terrifying it must have been for you and your wife. The main thing is that you got out alive, anything else can be replaced, albeit expensively.

Good luck getting back on your feet.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby anubis on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:55 pm

Am really shocked to here about this, am glad you all got our safely.

I'm sure you'll have no problem with the insurance.

All the very best.
Nikon D300, Nikkors 70-200 VR, 17-55, 50 1.4,18-200 VR etc
anubis

Postby Big Red on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:05 pm

wow, what a story you have to tell and your both ok to tell it !!

when i was in New Guinea the rascals cut a tree down across the road to stop me but i had the shits with being run off the road three times in 15kms and was driving way way faster than i should have been and managed to get past before the tree hit the road ... there had been a spate of these where they dragged the people out and robbed and killed them.

a couple of weeks after my incident they killed a priest and 4 nuns in a car near the same spot :shock:

makes you appreciate travelling in Australia even more 8)
Big Red

Postby zafra52 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:39 am

It is a terrible ordeal, but the main thing is that you all were safe. For what you say, it looks to me that the attack was very well planned and calculated by someone who knew the itinerary. I wouldn’t be surprised if some corrupt official were involved. On the other hand, I guess it could have happened anywhere and that is the risk we take daily when we leave our homes. Don’t let this terrifying event prevent you from travelling and seeing the world. Look the few positives you can find of this experience; you are back safe and it could have been worst - bit it wasn't, you saw beautiful things, friendly people and foreign cultures, and possibly you made good and lasting friendships.
zafra52

Postby Oneputt on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:40 am

That is absolutely awful. To have planned and looked forward to it so much, and then to have that happen.............. :(
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Alex on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:53 pm

What a shocking experience. Glad to hear you weren't harmed.

Alex
Alex

Postby Spooky on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:07 pm

We are currently planning our next trip. Not sure where yet but probably back to Africa. One of the worst things about the whole incident is the trauma our parents went through. I don't have the heart yet to tell them we will probably go back next year.

Anyway insurance first, if they don't pay up I won't be able to afford the next trip anyway.

Any tips on this matter? I had travel insurance with Suresave and I also have the photography package with Insuranzdirect.com.au so I hope between the two of them I can get most of it back. Kiss the cash I had goodbye unfortunately.

Brett
Spooky

Postby ozczecho on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Spooky wrote:We are currently planning our next trip. Not sure where yet but probably back to Africa.

Love your spirit...I hope the insurance companies come through so you can take your trip.

Mike
ozczecho

Postby beetleboy on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:17 am

It is horrible to hear these kinds of stories from a place held so dearly in so many people's hearts. Africa is an awe-inspiring, life-changing kind of place - just not always a positive one. My fiancee's family still lives in South Africa and these horror stories filter thru at least once a month. We have chosen to get married there this year and have been trying to convince my sister in-law to come along but it seems she's heard too many of these stories and is simply too scared. Having been there 5 times I easily forget the "run-in's" we've had on our trips as they're far outweighed by more positive and memorable experiences - but it only takes one moment for all of that change; as you have discovered so horrifically.

I feel for you and your family Brett and echo what everyone has said about replacing the material things and not allowing this to stop you from travelling.
beetleboy

Postby beetleboy on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:21 am

Spooky wrote:Kiss the cash I had goodbye unfortunately.

I'm surprised you say this, all the travel insurance I've ever taken out has covered very large sums of cash. Have you checked the PDS?
beetleboy

Postby BT*ist on Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:46 am

Horrific story - possessions are secondary, though, it's good to hear that you came out (physically) okay and are back Home now. All the best with the insurance
Pentax istDS+K10D. Pentax 50mm f1.4, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro, Kit Lenses. http://www.redbubble.com/people/berndt2
BT*ist

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Sorry to hear about your terrifying experience but glad that you and Corinne are both safe and sound, if a little shaken.Best of luck with your insurance company, I hope they come through for you. Having just been on a tour of Egypt where half over half the group had been in east and southern africa or were going there next, I was seeding the idea of a Africa trip in a year or two but selling that it safe enough to Katie was always going to be the sticking point. (Especially now :shock: , but I think the rewards of experiencing the culture and meeting the people, seeing the wildlife etc still outweighs the significant risks).
Alpha_7

Update re insurance

Postby Spooky on Tue May 13, 2008 9:34 pm

Just thought I would update people regarding how I am going with my insurance.

I had a policy with Insuranczedirect that covered some of my camera gear. It took about a month to sort them out. I sent them everything they required up front. They then asked for other things Ithought they didn't need and I provided them. I then got told what I had just sent was not required and was asked for something I had submitted initially so I told them they all ready had it. I then was made an offer and I pointed out the things they had omitted, eg GST and freight charges. Eventually they offered me basiscally what I thought I was entilted to. So got there in the end by sticking to my guns and they have made me a reasonable offer.

My travel insurance (Suresave) is still being "processed". They asked for a document I didn't provide initially and I think it wasn't reasonable to do so but I provided it in the interests of progressing the claim. I had to fax it to them 4 times over about a week before they acknowledged getting it. There general mode of operating seems to be to delay payment at any opportunity. Each time they get something from you they give themselves another 10 working days to respond. They also have asked me for things several times and I have had to point out they got them in the original claim. I believe I am making progress but it is a frustrating process.

Just so you know what to expect if you find yourself in my situation. Make sure you keep your reciepts for your gear you have insured as I did.
Spooky

Postby sirhc55 on Tue May 13, 2008 9:50 pm

Amazing, you and your wife get robbed in Africa and then the insurance companies try to rob you (kind of). Typical :evil:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Cre8tivepixels on Wed May 14, 2008 12:19 am

Mate thank god your ok...but your story was touching and i am sorry for your misfortune :(
Cre8tivepixels

Postby Grev on Wed May 14, 2008 9:03 am

Sorry to hear about that, wouldn't be able to imagine how it would of been... but glad you're fine.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby bwhinnen on Wed May 14, 2008 1:01 pm

I can only echo the sentiments of the others and am very glad to see you've jumped back on the horse to speak!

I am also happy to see the outcome from Insuranz Direct as well as I am insured with them. I only wish your travel insurance was better.
bwhinnen

Postby Dipstix Pix on Thu May 15, 2008 2:39 pm

I hope I NEVER have to go there - glad you are still here tell the story. I have found the back blocks of Fiji and Hawaii being Pov enough for me let alone picking up a fatal disease or being a depository for some scum bag's knife or bullet in the middle of the world's begging bowl. Life means so little to these people and for someone who has absolutely nothing robbing a tourist could potentially give them more than they could earn in a lifetime. The odds are too short for thouest - you are braver than I'll ever be.
Canon 40D | 30D | 10-22mm EF-S f 3.5-4.5 USM | 15mm EF f2.8 | 17-40mmEF f4L USM | 24-70mm f2.8L USM| 85mm f1.8 USM | 70-200 f 2.8L USM| 100-400 f 5.6 L IS USM| 300mm f2.8L IS USM | 2 x 580 EXII | 1.4 conv | 2x conv |
Dipstix Pix

Postby arreneli@gmail.com on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:25 am

I sincerely sympathize with you and wouldn't wish this on even those i dislike.

With that said, I'd like to make a point that no one have already made which i find it frankly distasteful. Perhaps its due to the trauma that you went through that made you kind of ignore it. But i hope you would correct that.

The title of your post should read "BAD EXPERIENCE IN NAMIBIA- ROBBED AT GUNPOINT". I doubt if this had happen to you in Italy you would have title your thread "Bad Experience in Europe - Robbed at gunpoint". Am quite sure things like this happen everywhere and like you said the place had been run for some years and no such incident.

Take care.
arreneli@gmail.com

Postby jupiter on Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:03 am

Brett, I'm sorry to hear that you had this terrible experience - especially as Namibia is one of the safer countries in Africa. But as already said, you also could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time anywhere in Europe or the US.

I've been in Namibia 4 times and never came close to a dangerous situation, but that's because we made sure to follow the advice of locals:

• Always travel in at least 2 vehicles
  • Don't slow down if somebody to tries to make you stop on roads
  • Be in a camp before it gets dark
  • Don't sleep on the ground, only in tents on the rooftop of your car
  • Don't get close to wild animals (as long as they're alive)

I've made the best shots ever in Namibia and met many friendly folks, so I can understand If you plan to go down there again. It's like a virus!

Wish you a great next time in Namibia,
Peter
jupiter

Next

Return to General Discussion