What Photography Magazines do people buy?

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

What Photography Magazines do people buy?

Postby louiek on Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:56 am

Hi

I am adicted to buying photography Magazines. I seem to buy most of the local ones and a few of the international ones.

What are your favourite Photography magazines?

Louie
louiek

Postby Raydar on Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:45 am

One of the magazines I have found to be useful in getting to no Photoshop & other bits & pieces is an Australian publication called Better Digital.
I have been buying it now for over 2 years & it’s improved heaps in that time.

http://www.betterdigitalonline.com/

Cheers
Ray :lol:
Raydar

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:57 pm

As a general rule, none; the web more than satisfies my need for published phtotgraphic content.

However, I do have a copy of the Feb 2002 (I think) American Photographer magazine with a picture of a very battered camera on the conver. This was a tribute issue to those photographers who worked (and in once instance, lost his life) in the WTC bombing on Septembe 11 2001.

It's a very special issue for me ...
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:56 pm

I tried out various local publications when I the D70 re-ignited my interest in photography. I'm with Gary on this one - the web delivers news and content far more comprehensively and more so in a timely manner than all the magazines.

Camera, Australian Photography, Better Photography - after a few issues, you start to realise the ads take up half the publication and the "reviews" are very much the same as the marketing spiel the manufacturers give.
Onyx

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:17 pm

Onyx wrote:ICamera, Australian Photography, Better Photography - after a few issues, you start to realise the ads take up half the publication and the "reviews" are very much the same as the marketing spiel the manufacturers give.

Actually, I sometimes get some of the 'murican mags purely because of their advertising content. It almost breaks my heart to see what's available in NY or LA - stuff that we haven't a snowflake's hope in hell of seeing, and at prices that make make Amanda Vanstone look like an ugly stepmother. "what was that? She is??? Oh, sorry. " :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:31 pm

I know, those lucky 'merkins. ;)

That's part of the reason why I'm off to the states (and why I am unable to attend the first Sydney get together) - I'm going shopping for cheap(er) photographic gear for myself, and some electronic equipment for friends and others who've given me shopping lists. I've simply got to see this B&H place - the largest camera retail warehouse on the planet!! :)
Onyx

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:10 pm

Onyx wrote:That's part of the reason why I'm off to the states

When are you leaving, and where are you heading to?

havig lived there for a number of years, there's a few tips and tricks I may be able to offer you, both online and off-line, in terms of where to shop or not shop, and a few other details ... :)

Oh yes, restaurant tips perhaps ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:18 pm

Gary, I'll be off from the 18th Aug for 2 months. Heading initially to NYC, where my sister's staying - from there, as yet no fixed plans but hoping to tour a bit of the east coast with her. I know sales tax is a killer in NY, I'm planning to purchase an SB800 and some lenses from e-photocraft.com (located in DC) to avoid it. But I have to at least visit B&H to say I've been there! :)

Any tips to save costs or places to visit will be much appreciated. It's a week out and I haven't started packing or organised foreign cash yet. ;)

If you want anything, let me know too - that's if you trust me enough.... I know we've only known each other for a matter of days on this site. :p
Onyx

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:08 pm

Onyx wrote:Gary, I'll be off from the 18th Aug for 2 months. Heading initially to NYC, where my sister's staying - from there, as yet no fixed plans but hoping to tour a bit of the east coast with her. I know sales tax is a killer in NY, I'm planning to purchase an SB800 and some lenses from e-photocraft.com (located in DC) to avoid it. But I have to at least visit B&H to say I've been there! :)

I've been to NYC maybe 5 or 6 times now, and I've yet to have a llok at the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building! My trips there - and my one visit to DC - were very business oriented, with little real time permitted for pleasure.

And my most recent plans to visit NYC were aborted: we were scheduled to leave SYD for LAX on Sep 12 2001, thence to Milan, Paris, back to NYC, SFO and home. I arrived home from a meeting, and was about to start packing for the next day's departure when a newsflash came on ...

I had already made arrangements to meet a friend for dinner on that Oct 4; we co-authored a book, and he works just 4 blocks from Ground Zero.

We had tickets for the Italian F1GP that following weekend, and in less than a day totally replanned the trip, leaving SYD one day later than originally scheduled, but arriving at Malpensa about 4 hours earlier.

But it was a most upsetting time, as you can imagine.

At the moment, I'm thinking of a trip to either Europe or US for later this year; the problem is fitting it into a schedule.

But I digress ...

Any tips to save costs or places to visit will be much appreciated. It's a week out and I haven't started packing or organised foreign cash yet. ;)

A week?? Heaps of time! I don't usually pack until the morning of departure.

Places to visit ... East coast ... in DC, stay in Georgetown, and make sure of a visit to Dean and DeLuca's. And allow at least a few days for your visit to the Smithsonian. While you're in NYC, spend a day or three in Boston (most aggressive drivers in the world) and head further north into Salem. The one tourist town that I can say I've enjoyed visitng.

In Florida, visit St Augustine, Key West, and for something entirely different, Cedar Keys. MIami might be fun too, but avoid Whore-lando, the second ugliest city in the world.

Head back into the southwest if you can. New Orleans is a must - one of my favourite cities in the world - and Santa Fe New Mexico is also well worth a visit.

Will you also be spending time on the west coast?

If you want anything, let me know too - that's if you trust me enough.... I know we've only known each other for a matter of days on this site. :p

I never ask others to bring stuff back for me; it's too much of an imposition. Especially considering the stuff I like to buy myself. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:47 pm

Wow Gary, that's scary to think you had such a close connection to the events of 9-11! It's certainly altered the way the world functions, I know I sound old when I say this, but I do remember and miss how things were pre Sept 11...

Your travel tips noted, with thanks. I'm also interested in visiting the Armish community in Pensylvania, I'll have to find out where abouts that it. :)

I intend to go to Boston to see the infamous Harvard and other colleges, hopefully get a few decent snapshots of their campus grounds (or get arrested trying).

Regarding 'Whore-lando', it's funny - my sister and I have sorta planned to do the theme park thing down there. I'm not too keen on them, but there aren't too many chances to get the old adrenaline going these days...

We are also planning a trip to Vegas, with Grand Canyon a definite must see. I've been to Zions National Park in southern UT on a trip there 12 months back. It was spectacular! Just wished I took more pictures, all I had was a disposable film cam, as I hiked "The Narrows".
Onyx

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:45 pm

Onyx,

Onyx wrote:Wow Gary, that's scary to think you had such a close connection to the events of 9-11! It's certainly altered the way the world functions, I know I sound old when I say this, but I do remember and miss how things were pre Sept 11...

Indeed. We were certainly aware of the increased security right from the get go. That's a part of the reason why that American Photo mag is something that value so highly. Had we left one day earlier, our whole trip would have been totally different, as we would have been stuck in the US.

visiting the Armish community in Pensylvania,

Q: What goes "clip clop bang bang" ?

A: an Amish drive-by shooting.

I intend to go to Boston to see the infamous Harvard and other colleges, hopefully get a few decent snapshots of their campus grounds (or get arrested trying).

Boston reminds me of Sydney and London. Wander down to the wharf areas as well; lots of great eateries. Call into an SBC and grab a few pounds of Tazza d'Oro - beans, not ground.

Regarding 'Whore-lando', it's funny - my sister and I have sorta planned to do the theme park thing down there. I'm not too keen on them, but there aren't too many chances to get the old adrenaline going these days...

The theme parks are about the only thing worth doing there. But a visit to Chevy's might be worthwhile if you like (or want to try) Tex Mex. For a chain, they're not too bad. And there's another good Tex-Mex chain on International Drive, but I can't recall their name at the moment.

And there's a half decent cigar vendor in the Disney village that's outside Disney World. If you go to Key West, I do want some cigarillos from a vendor down there though.

We are also planning a trip to Vegas,

I think I mentioned that I considered Whorelando to be the second ugliest place on earth .... guess what gets first prize?

As ugly as I think it is (nuking it would not be too severe a treatment) it is a place that one needs to see for oneself. it takes kitsch and garishness to new depths!

But the Grand Canyon is amazing. We think Sydney Harbour is big .... While you're in that region, if you're travelling by road, a visit to Williams AZ might be fun for you. It's on the old Route 66, and they play that as much as they can ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby jdear on Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:08 pm

Some photographic magazines seem to exist only to get free products and cash. The last magazine i bought was offering the buyer the chance to win a D70 by filling out a user survey so naturally i bought it. over 1/3 of it was advertising, mainly pro-canon equipment. The articles sucked, and i doubt ill pick it up again.

photography monthly i like. http://www.photographymonthly.com/ It is pommy, but has alot of compeititions and helpful information, is laid out better than a greek lunch, and is normally around 200 pages of goodness.

Im thinking of taking out a subscription to pm, they have monthly compeititions with great prizes - last year over 13,000 quid worth and you can win the grand prize at the end if you aquire enough "kudos" over the montly competitions - comps help me to keep shooting.

JD
jdear

Postby JordanP on Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:12 pm

I'm a National Geographic fan. Images I aspire to
Craig
JordanP

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:16 pm

Good to revise this thread, It started when this forum first started.

ME?

The web is more than enough for me to keep up, most news or article on the mags are quite old in comparison with the web and thanks to the modern technology.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby MattC on Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:43 pm

I am another who finds the web a useful resource. If I have a question, or want to know how to do something, google provides the answer.

National Geographic is also my magazine of choice.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby mudder on Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:56 pm

G'day,
I'm only new to photography in general and recently thought I'd check out some magazines in the local New agency, but found that they were basically mostly ads with their articles aimed at entry level topics with P&S cameras and manufacturer propaganda style reviews... I'll check out the Photography Monthly one though, that sounds interesting... I'm dazzled by the shots in mags like National Geo etc...

I find I've learnt so much more just from forums like this one, that I've lost interest in "photography" magazines...

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby W00DY on Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:18 pm

I gave up my subsription to Australian Photography when every second letter, opinon etc... was the same old thing...

Film v's Digital

The it turned to Digital Photography is all about manipulating images (which is just not true)...

The best thing I enjoy about mags are the critique section, you can really learn a lot from them (just like our's).

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:20 pm

W00DY wrote:I gave up my subsription to Australian Photography when every second letter, opinon etc... was the same old thing...

Film v's Digital

The it turned to Digital Photography is all about manipulating images (which is just not true)...

The best thing I enjoy about mags are the critique section, you can really learn a lot from them (just like our's).

W00DY

Good to have one when you sit in the cubic doing your time :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby W00DY on Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:24 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
W00DY wrote:I gave up my subsription to Australian Photography when every second letter, opinon etc... was the same old thing...

Film v's Digital

W00DY

Good to have one when you sit in the cubic doing your time :lol: :lol:

If it is Australian Photography I woudl make sure the cubicle had run out of paper first :!:
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby leigh999 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:07 pm

I was given a subscription to Australian Photography and by the end of 12 months swore I would never look at one again. The articles are dry and the rest of it is full of whinging letters to editor and that weird opinion page at the back that repetitively drones on about camera clubs and too much 'left sided' (or was it 'right sided') thinking. I swear they just pull another page out of the same book and stick it in each month. If it sounds like I have a bit of an issue - it is because I do.

I have to agree that the poms know how to do their magazines. Practical Photography and Photography Monthly are both slick productions - that give a decent amount of actual content and critique readers photos. Although some the the 'readers' portfolios look professional standard to me.
leigh999

Postby Matty B on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:44 pm

Not to be too much of a wet blanket on'the industry' but I've read single issues of several Digi- orientated mags avail to me via my local corner store and I must say there's very little content in them. Very shallow glossing over lot's of stuff but no real explanation or useable info that an enthusiast might search for. I wholeheartedly agree with those before me who have voted the internet the place to go for relevent information. This web site is a prime illustration of this point. I can't believe how fast this site moves - so much new stuff to fit into my head. I really appreciate the openess of contributors, I feel I can ask anything here and get an honest answer. Glad to be on board! :D

ps. how much does a Nat Geo Mag sub cost these days? :?:
Shoot early - Shoot often
Matty B

Postby paull on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:55 pm

One i picked up the other day and quite liked ... although it was a bit pricey was B&W ... http://www.bandwmag.com/

One that a good buddy of mine swears by is aperture... http://www.aperture.org/

Generally though, and like many of the others before me I think the web is a great resource for learning, particularly from peer forums like this one.

Some of the commercial mags are a bit shallow and feel like a channel for pushing product. Being a bit sales susceptible I try my best to avoid these ones ... and the dreaded lens lust ;-)
paull

Return to General Discussion