CCD cleaning

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Scratched my D100 focusing screen. Repair costs?

Postby birddog114 on Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:18 am

Just something to learn, another drama!!!! don't panic!!!! I can do it then you can do it!!!!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=10034277
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:25 am

I think this is something that we all as DSLR users have to come to terms with & just take the time to learn how to do it.

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby Raydar on Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:52 pm

Happy Sat to all :wink:

Just thought I would try something :roll:
I emailed my local paper’s photography department to see if I would get a response to the CCD cleaning “Q” I asked them.
Hopefully they mite come back with an answer as to what they use, or something of help to us :?

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby Raydar on Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:14 pm

Well I had my first CCD clean today & it’s not as bad as first thought.
Piece of cake if you follow the instructions 8)

A stiff drink doesn’t go astray either :wink:

Cheers
Ray
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:38 pm

Raydar wrote:Well I had my first CCD clean today & it’s not as bad as first thought.
Piece of cake if you follow the instructions 8)

A stiff drink doesn’t go astray either :wink:

Cheers
Ray

Glad to hear that you have done it! exactly what you have mentioned, having fun instead of!!! You can do it once in a monthly basic!!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Kris on Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:42 pm

On the subject of cleaning, where would I obtain a kit to clean my D70 (things like the body and little areas that clothes cant get into?) people say blower brushes are good??

anyone know where such a kit can be obtained?

Thankyou guys :)
Kris

Postby birddog114 on Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:15 pm

Kris,
To clean the outer of the cam body, just have a damp cloth wipe around the body and lens, to remove all dirt, greasesily came from hand, have a damp cloth with very mild soap like dishwasher liquid, Ajax all purpose cleaning, spray on the the damp cloth and wipe the outer of body & lens.

The only thing you need to clean inside is the CCD, If you see some dust bunnies, you'll need:
- Eclipse Fluid $26.50/ Bottle with 2oz
- Pec*Pad 4" x 4" (100 wipes) $20.00
- Sensor Swab # 2 $70.00 (12 pops)
Depend on what you want to do, the sensor swab can be re-used by replacing the Pec*Pad on its tip or you can make for yourself one of the plastic stupa and wrap the Pec*Pad around.
Those items you can obtain from me as same with other members in this forum.
Don't forget to get yourself a good Air brush like the following link. I prefer the 190mm tall.
http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/rocket.html
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Kris on Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:31 pm

Thankyou :)

Ill order the 190mm Brush from the site you mentioned but might leave the CCD cleaning to a service center... seems expensive and tedious
Kris

Postby birddog114 on Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:56 pm

Kris wrote:Thankyou :)

Ill order the 190mm Brush from the site you mentioned but might leave the CCD cleaning to a service center... seems expensive and tedious

Kris,
We all live with it once we have the DSLR in our possesion and it's our friend. the more you care about it the more you'll get the returm from.
Maxwell will offers you the first free CCD cleaning, the turn around time is 2 days, perhaps more longer depend on how busy they are.

After the first clean, then a premium will around $50.00- $60.00 each time you bring your cam to their Service Center.

On Saturday (yesterday) we had a cleaning meet at my place. Plukaduck, one of our member took 5 minutes to learn with the help from MattK, and he's now confidence in doing his cleaning anytime he want to.

Dust bunnies are very friendly with digicam, even you don't swap lens.
I think you have to lay your shy and hesitation at rest and try, you'll DIY very often in the near future.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:57 am

A short video of demonstration how to clean CCD (nikonian.org)

http://users.telenet.be/belgiumdigital/ ... deel-2.wmv
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:03 am

An interesting site I came across that I don’t think has been mentioned in this post!

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html
sirhc55
Key Member

SensorBrush

Postby RisingPhoenix on Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:09 pm

Has anyone had any experience with the SensorBrush referenced on Thom Hogan's Site? I am thinking about ordering one, but would like some reassurance, however, given my 2 day old D70 is riddled with dust spots (No Nice sunset shots without retouching for me), i need to try something, and being on the Mid North Coast, not much is around here..

Also, is it still the general consensus to get sensor swabs from the US and Eclipse fluid from here in Australia? nulabs?

Thanks for your time, and the great forum, was a major purchasing influence to know the backup was here..

Steve
RisingPhoenix

Re: SensorBrush

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:52 pm

RisingPhoenix wrote:Also, is it still the general consensus to get sensor swabs from the US and Eclipse fluid from here in Australia? nulabs?

Thanks for your time, and the great forum, was a major purchasing influence to know the backup was here..

Steve

Steve,

Send a pm to Birddog. And thanx for the thanx; it's nice to hear and be appreciated.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: SensorBrush

Postby Flyer on Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:26 am

RisingPhoenix wrote:Has anyone had any experience with the SensorBrush referenced on Thom Hogan's Site? I am thinking about ordering one, but would like some reassurance, however, given my 2 day old D70 is riddled with dust spots (No Nice sunset shots without retouching for me), i need to try something, and being on the Mid North Coast, not much is around here..

Also, is it still the general consensus to get sensor swabs from the US and Eclipse fluid from here in Australia? nulabs?

Steve

I bought SensorBrush a while back - see my post: http://forum.d70users.com/viewtopic.php?p=1057&highlight=#1057

Use them to remove any loose dust before using Eclipse fluid.
In my opinion they are great for light clean up, but as Birddog pointed out will not remove stubborn dust.
Flyer

Previous

Return to General Discussion