Canon Zoombrowser question

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Canon Zoombrowser question

Postby sydney1965 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:31 pm

This is a question for the Canon crowd. I use zoombrowser version 5.8 to download from my 5D. I just got back from holidays and was checking out my photos on there. My question is, What is the most you would zoom in on your pic to check the focus in % on the slider and the reading in the bottom left hand corner? The reason i ask is that most of my pics look slightly out of focus. I used 2 lens on the trip 70-200 f2.8 sigma and a 28-105 f3.5 canon. I dont zoom past 100%, but just curious as to what others go to.
When i checked the settings i used for each pic my ISO was 50 and most shots were taken in the programe AE mode.
sydney1965

Re: Canon Zoombrowser question

Postby Shoot on Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:38 pm

I don't use a 5d but have never really had any problems in checking to see if something is OOF or not. I haven't really used any professional glass as yet other than the 70-200, but I know if i don't make a mistake with my gear my images all look very sharp at 1024X768. When these files get blown to 100% though I wouldn't at all call them a usable image to present them at that display size though. That may change with better glass, and better technique.

What do they look like at a zoom of "fit to page"?
If they do look soft at that view maybe the AF mech needs to be calibrated?
Perhaps if you can show us what you mean by posting an example?
If you’re alone with your friend in the woods and a tiger’s chasing you, you don’t have to be faster than the tiger, you have to be faster than your friend.
Shoot

Postby RichardW on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:23 pm

I've moved from shooting in jpg to shooting everything in RAW and Zoombrowser won't zoom on CR2 images. Digital Photo Professional which also came with my 5D will zoom on CR2 images. I only get really sharp images at 100% using a tripod although the 70-200 F4L IS I just bought seems pretty good handheld at 200mm.
Richard

Canon 350D, 5D and a few lenses
Profile and Images
RichardW

Postby sydney1965 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:34 pm

Gday Rob and Richard,
Thanks for your reply's to my question.
The JPEGS look reasonable at "fit to page" but once i get over 100% zoom things look soft. The AF on the
28-105 might need calibration as its an old lens, about 13 years old but im not convinced it does, the 70-200 is only a few months old and when i went to a tractor pull 2 months ago the pics were as sharp as a razor.
When i looked at the RAW photos( i shot in JPEG+RAW) in Digital Professional at 100% the photos looked much better not soft.
Maybe its the zoombrowser thats the problem. I'll have to go out during the weekend and take some trial shots and compare them on the 2 programes.
Thanks again.
sydney1965

Return to Post Processing