family portraites:studio photography

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

family portraites:studio photography

Postby enjoroge on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:05 am

I am writing from Perth WA I need some advice.
My family and i recently had some photos taken at a studio. In the package was included a canvas composite of 4 images (24 x 30), a disk with all distribution rights(50 images) and 4 black and white prints (8 x 12)...all for $2200.

We stipulated at the viewing that our skin tone/lighting on faces should be evened out before final product was done. We also said that the composite should have a black edge with soft border around photos blended into the background.

The results on the canvas are disastrous. We have stark white patches on our skin(we havedark skin)..seems to me they did a poor job of evening out. They have explained it away by saying that this is meant to highlight our facial contours. I do not agree. The photos on the disk are much better. Also, they have put white edges around the photos. We feel ripped off. :cry:
What can we do about the situation?
enjoroge

Re: family portraites:studio photography

Postby Antsl on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:14 am

If the photographer was a member of the AIPP then you can go to the organisation for mediation. I would give the photographer the option to get it right first but use this as a playcard.
Antsl

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:41 am

As Antsl said, the photographer needs to be given the opportunity to rectify the problem.

If phone queries don't work, then you need to send them a formal letter of complaint. If they're members of AIPP, include the option (threat) of mediation as suggested by Antsl, and give them an actual date - maybe two weeks out - by which you expect to have the problems resolved.

Failing that, what are the provisions of the local consumer protection laws? That would be the next step. This is all Consumer Basics 101, btw. Make sure that you keep dated notes of whom you're speaking with at the studio, and keep copies of every letter (dated) that you send them.

And finally, welcome to the forum. Please make sure that you put a meaningful location into your profile; it's a requirement of membership here. And please take note of the FAQ about what "meaningful" actually is.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Bindii on Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:32 am

Have you already paid and recieved the images that you asked for?.. because it doesnt sound like you got what you requested at all.. the worng border... bad skin tones... I'd be interested to see the images (although I'm not so sure on what the copyright is on the images you have been given so you may not be able to post them here).. to see if they are as bad as you feel they are..

if you haven't paid yet then I would suggest that you don't until the photographer supplies you with what was agreed upon (ie the correct colour borders etc - without seeing the facial 'blotches' I can't comment because photography is open to artistic interpretation so what you don't like I might love for instance...actually its also a good idea to show some of the images to family and friends -without pointing out 'the flaws' as you see them and see if they say anything about blothces etc)... some good advice above re the AIPP also..

Let us know how you go... :)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Return to Post Processing