PP my Image: "Petrol Pump Prison"

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

PP my Image: "Petrol Pump Prison"

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:16 pm

I took this image this morning, and posted it the "Image review and critique" section.

At Steffen's suggestion, I am posting it here to let folk have a lash at PP on a B&W image.

Post your finished works here. Please describe your work flow. :D

A larger image is available here.

TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Re: PP my Image: "Petrol Pump Prison"

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:51 pm

Well, I had first go. :D

I used Layer Mask to do Levels adjustments separately for the sky and the rest of the image.

I then converted to B&W using Nik Color Efex Pro. This is closer to how I had envisaged the shot, and probably what Glen was referring to in the original post.

I think it's OK, but the masking could be improved.

TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Glen on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:15 pm

Trevor, love your new version! :D :D I can see Toyota buying it from you and using it in an ad to sell Prius. Of course Cadillac owners like myself with our baby 8.2 litre motors will also print it out and carry it around in our wallets with pictures of our first born, we become quite attached to petrol bowsers :wink: Two markets in one.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:42 pm

Trevor,

Love this image.

Glen wrote:Trevor, love your new version! :D :D I can see Toyota buying it from you and using it in an ad to sell Prius. Of course Cadillac owners like myself with our baby 8.2 litre motors will also print it out and carry it around in our wallets with pictures of our first born, we become quite attached to petrol bowsers :wink: Two markets in one.

Glen,

And then there are the Prius owners that I saw while I was in Goulburn over the weekend. Makes one wonder ... :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:52 pm

A Prius can make it to Goulburn?
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:31 pm

Glen wrote:A Prius can make it to Goulburn?

Glen,

These looked as if they lived there.

I thought that the deal was that they were cars you used in city conditions, and they give their best in heavy traffic situations. In rural areas like Goulburn, those seeking to achieve the best fuel economy would surely be using a diesel?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:49 pm

I agree Gary, it is an expensive heavy Corolla if you live in the bush
Thank You
Glen

Postby Grev on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:18 am

The high contrast definitely works, gives it a more bold and atmospheric mood.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Return to Post Processing