Sigma lens for a Canon

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Sigma lens for a Canon

Postby zafra52 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:38 pm

I wondering if any of you has any thought on the new Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS. I guess a lens like this could be useful as a general purpose or walk around lens when travelling. I don't think it has the Canon AF feature, but it has the equivalent to the IS.
zafra52

Postby moz on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:06 pm

The trouble is that it's competing with the Nikon 18-200, and the reviewers seem to think it's not as good. Unless you've got a lot of other Canon glass you might be better off going to the dark side. If you can cope with lens changes the kit lens with a 70-300 will give better image quality (but no OS). I dunno, my thought was "nice idea, not for me". I'm happy with my Sigma 18-50/2.8, and while I'd like a small, light superzoom for wandering around with I can't bring myself to buy any of the ones I've seen reviews of. Overall they seem to be quite soft.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby zafra52 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:23 pm

Yes. I already have the 17-55, the 28-135, the 70-200L all Canon and then the Sigma 70-300 APO DG (No OS for this one), but I find a nuisance to have to change lenses all the time, specially during my travelling in Spain. This Sigma 18-200 DG OS seems to have nice review at Fred Miranda, but I thought it would be a good idea to ask around.
zafra52

Return to Other