what a difference...

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

what a difference...

Postby bigsarg7 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:09 pm

well as most would know i am trying to find the right camera for the right price at the moment. I have visited some of my local stores, and discovered there is a huge difference between the d3000, d5000 to the d90 etc. I had no idea the d3000 etc were so small and compact in comparisson, but in my opinion it made it more awkward to hold and was really uncomfortable in the hand. Good old harvey norman in shepparton didn't have a d90 to compare to, so i wandered over to another store (wow) and they had more variety. (i was only looking to feel and compare, not to buy) I held the d90 and found it more comfortable then the d3000, i had a better grip and my husbands hands could hold it this time, where as the d3000 his hands were just to big and uncomfortable on it. Obviously price is different too.

I had been told in prior posts that the d90 was comparible to the d80 in size and feel. And if thats the case its a serious option. I have since held my brother in laws d200 and found it by far the more comfortable camera in my hands, so my issue is at the moment where to get a decent d200 or d80 (other then ebay) for a great price. Has anyone got one they want to clear of their desk or want to clear to make room for an upgrade?

So do you all agree that the entry market dslr cameras are quite pokey and awkward to hold??
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Re: what a difference...

Postby biggerry on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:28 pm

So do you all agree that the entry market dslr cameras are quite pokey and awkward to hold??

:agree:

especially if you even normal sized hands....

or d80 (other then ebay) for a great price. Has anyone got one they want to clear of their desk or want to clear to make room for an upgrade?

damn, thats tempting... :wink:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby surenj on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:54 pm

biggerry wrote:damn, thats tempting... :wink:

Maybe sell the 17-55 and go D700. :mrgreen:
surenj

Postby aim54x on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:20 pm

bigsarg7 wrote:So do you all agree that the entry market dslr cameras are quite pokey and awkward to hold??

I have to agree with that comment in general, but some cameras are worse than others. I love my D60 (my lightweight camera) despite the grip being a bit too small. But yes, the D200/D300 feels lots better in my hands
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:19 pm

aim54x wrote:But yes, the D200/D300 feels lots better in my hands

I have to say this was the main reason I replaced the D70s with my D200 as soon as I could afford it.
I certainly hadn't outgrown the capabilities of the camera.

Pam now has the D70s & it suits her smaller hands very well indeed.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby bigsarg7 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:38 pm

My hands are only very small, and i find them just a bit awkward to hold, like my little finger etc are off the end of it and after a few minutes i found it got really uncomfortable. With the d200 it seems to have more to grip onto and it is comfy for big hands like my husbands or small - medium hands like mine.

I noticed on the d3000 that all the menus and settings are viewed on the screen, and in all honesty thats one of the reasons I wasn't totally happy with my olympus in the first place, i like to view my settings on top of camera rather then the lcd screen. I hope thats not a sign that nikon will be heading down the path of all navigation and settings to be changed and viewed on the lcd screen.
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby Raskill on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:37 am

I remember using the D2 bodies after my D70, and being surprised how much better the bigger body was to hold. Now I find them a bit small, and prefer the heavier D700 with grip (and 8 AA) batteries. I guess I'll reach the point where I prefer lighter bodies, but not yet!
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby surenj on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:03 am

bigsarg7 wrote:So do you all agree that the entry market dslr cameras are quite pokey and awkward to hold??

That would depend on everyone's hand size. Since there is an overwhelming majority of males in this forum, I would guess the answer to your question would be yes.
surenj

Return to Nikon