gear stolen, should I buy Pentax again or switch to Nikon?

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

gear stolen, should I buy Pentax again or switch to Nikon?

Postby servaasproducts on Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:05 pm

My Pentax K20D, Sigma 17-70, and Pentax Flash were stolen last weekend, so I am shoppng for new gear. As most of my gear other than some basic kit lenses is gone, I dont NEED to stay with Pentax, so I am looking at the possibility to switch to Nikon or Canon.

When I chose Pentax the first time (K100D in 2007) they seemed like the best bang for buck. The twin lens kit was $799 vs the D40 twin lens kit at $1199. When I upgraded to the K20D 2 months ago, it was a no brainer, as I only needed a body. Now that I have almost nothing, I can review the options afresh. Having said that, Pentax again seems like good value. I am looking at the following 3 options, and should say that I mainly shoot macro/product photography, and some family shots, so while I have a pentax mount 80-210, i have only used it a few times, and am happy to stay with with the 17-70 range of my previous lens.

So I am looking seriously at the following options:
Nikon D5000 + Sigma 17-70 HSM Macro + SB600 flash for about $1350
Pentax k-x + Sigma 17-70 Macro + AF360 flash for about $1360
Pricing of the k-x and D5000 are very similar. From there its a fiar jump to

Nikon D90 + Sigma 17-70 HSM Macro + SB600 flash for about $1790

Feature comparisons are very similar. I know a lot of our customers shoot Nikon, and from what I have read, ther flash system is the best. I was starting to shoot off camera flash, with umbrellas/soft box, and the K20D was good for this as it talked to the Pentax flash without the need for poppers etc. Would I need to go for a D90/SB800 to get such functionality in the Nikon camp?

Look forward to your suggestions and recommendations

Cheers

Jeff
Gear: Pentax k-x, Sigma 30 1.4, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200, AF540FGZ Powerex AA batteries and recharged with Powerex AA battery chargers
follow s on twitter
servaasproducts

Re: gear stolen, should I buy Pentax again or switch to Nikon?

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Hey Jeff,
The decision is really up to you.

Try all the cameras on your short list in a shop. Take photos - use your own card & look at the photos later on a big screen.

Buy the camera you are happiest using. I suspect it will be the Pentax as you are used to the system, but you may surprise yourself. I personally find the ergonomics of the Nikons (I have a D200) to surpass all else, but I know others who say the same about Canon.

The Nikon CLS system is excellent indoors. I regularly use it for photographing wine bottles and chairs. It is less successful outdoors as the sun swamps the signal. It really comes into its own when you start using multiple flash. Especially is one is suspended from the ceiling. It is so much easier adjusting it from the master than getting up on a ladder. I started with a single SB600. I now have 2x SB800 + 1x SB900. I sold the SB600.

I will expect my complementary set of imedions in the mail :wink:
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:13 pm

i think being a nikon or canon flash owner would help your sales pitch for your business.
Oz_Beachside

Postby surenj on Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:40 pm

Sorry to hear of your equipment. :(
I hope you have insurance. If you don't mind me asking, what was the circumstances of the lost property?

About buying new stuff, What Greg said is the best advice.

Canon doesn't have wireless flash control at the price level you are looking at. Only the 7D has inbuilt flash control. All future releases would; one would hope so. Still, Nikon has better functionality.

SB800 can only be got second hand I think. [unless you buy old stock]

From a high ISO standpoint and general IQ, Nikon and Canon would be better than Pentax.

Canon has constant f4 lenses, if that tickles your fancy.

Nikon has better 'kit' lens quality.
surenj

Postby servaasproducts on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:05 am

surenj wrote:Sorry to hear of your equipment. :(
I hope you have insurance.

Yes, but AAMI do not cover theft outside the home, so I cannot claim :(
If you don't mind me asking, what was the circumstances of the lost property?

Went to a family camp, and I was helping out with AV. I left the camera in the comms room with 3 laptops, including my Macbook Pro. Some cash and my camera were stolen in the early ours of Sunday morning, the 3 laptops were not taken, so it seems like a 'theft of opportunity' rather than a pro.

About buying new stuff, What Greg said is the best advice.

Canon doesn't have wireless flash control at the price level you are looking at. Only the 7D has inbuilt flash control. All future releases would; one would hope so. Still, Nikon has better functionality.

OK Canon is off the list.
Nikon has better 'kit' lens quality.

Yes, i thought it seemed a good kit lens. Does the kit lens do macro, or should I go body only, and buy a different lens?
Gear: Pentax k-x, Sigma 30 1.4, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200, AF540FGZ Powerex AA batteries and recharged with Powerex AA battery chargers
follow s on twitter
servaasproducts

Postby DanW on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:08 pm

servaasproducts wrote:Yes, i thought it seemed a good kit lens. Does the kit lens do macro, or should I go body only, and buy a different lens?

When I got my D90, I found the 'kit' lens (the 18-105VR) to be good value. It's not a true macro - I think the reproduction ratio is about 5:1 - but it's not terrible. It focuses down to 45cm and has been good enough for say flowers in the garden and things like that. Getting inside a flower or up close and personal with a bug will need a different lens.

Remember with the smaller Nikon bodies, they don't have the inbuilt focus motor so the older lenses won't autofocus. It becomes an problem if you want to buy/use older or second hand lenses. This was an issue for me which prompted me to buy the D90 instead of the D60.

If you're interested, I'm looking at selling my D90, 18-105VR and a few accessories. Feel free to PM me if you want.
Dan
Nikon D700 and a whole lot o' lenses
DanW

Postby servaasproducts on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:05 pm

Oz_Beachside wrote:i think being a nikon or canon flash owner would help your sales pitch for your business.

Yes, good point. Being able to talk from first hand experience of how our batteries and diffusers work with Nikon flashes would be more beneficial than with Pentax.
follow s on twitter
servaasproducts

Postby servaasproducts on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:10 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:Hey Jeff,
The decision is really up to you.

Try all the cameras on your short list in a shop. Take photos - use your own card & look at the photos later on a big screen.

Buy the camera you are happiest using. I suspect it will be the Pentax as you are used to the system, but you may surprise yourself. I personally find the ergonomics of the Nikons (I have a D200) to surpass all else, but I know others who say the same about Canon.

Ergonomics/UI makes a difference, and I will definitely try before I buy. Having convertedto the mac 2 years ago, I am a big believer in a good UI. I am not averse to learning a new system, if i am going to make the jump, now is the time to do it.

The Nikon CLS system is excellent indoors. I regularly use it for photographing wine bottles and chairs. It is less successful outdoors as the sun swamps the signal. It really comes into its own when you start using multiple flash. Especially is one is suspended from the ceiling. It is so much easier adjusting it from the master than getting up on a ladder. I started with a single SB600. I now have 2x SB800 + 1x SB900. I sold the SB600.

What was the limitation of the SB600 that made you sell it?
I will expect my complementary set of imedions in the mail :wink:

remind me to put them in your next order :)
follow s on twitter
servaasproducts

Postby wendellt on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:47 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that
i hope things were insured

i'd go for Nikon since there is more support for it on this forum you could probably borrow friends lenses
and its also a cheaper system and the ergonomics of the nikon are better and it's got a better shutter and aperture and focus point selector system

the nikon ttl system gives better and more consistent results even though i realy dont use it
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi Jeff,

Greg's advice is right on the money.

servaasproducts wrote:Ergonomics/UI makes a difference, and I will definitely try before I buy.

While I and many others happen to think that Nikon's ergonomics are better than Canons, there's an ample number of Canon users who will be willing to say that Canon's ergonomics are superior to Nikon's.

The reality is that what's important is what works best, for you. I wouldn't be placing more weight on the capabilities of the various flash systems etc, but concentrating upon which body feels best in the hands.

Your hands.

That is where the hard work is going to be done, and that's also what's going to be the basis of any further lens acquisitions.

Lighting scenarios can be handled with different and varied pieces of equipment; that aspect should be considered as a secondary set of variables in your equation. Important, yes, but secondary.

What was the limitation of the SB600 that made you sell it?

While I cannot answer for Greg, the 600 is less powerful, and cannot be used as a master flash.

The comments regarding the D60's limitations are relevant and valid. That said, the D60 is a truly great camera, with a superlative UI and great featureset. The D90 is a great camera too, and if you can stretch the budget (or get DanW's), then I doubt it will disappoint.

I would also suggest getting - if you're going Nikon - one of the Nikon kit lenses. Their optical quality, for the price, is great value.

But do take some time to evaluate all of the cameras in the pricepoints that you're considering, and work towards getting into a system that you can work with, and will permit you to grow.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Darcy on Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:32 pm

servaasproducts wrote:What was the limitation of the SB600 that made you sell it?

Gary is almost correct. Both of those contributed as did the limited zoom, but the main factor was that I found the UI difficult. If I only had the SB600, I would have got used to it, but having the SB800s as well meant I could never pick up a flash & just use it. It was also difficult balancing power when I used all three. I found I just never used the SB600 unless I really had to. I sold it before I got the SB900 & in fact intended not to replace it, but I had a play with the SB900 (Damn those DSLRUsers meets!)& just fell in love with the user interface. It is just so easy to use, that alone was worth the extra money. Now I always use the SB900 as commander, and the SB800s as slaves. If I just want one flash, the first one I grab is the one I use. They are sufficiently close in performance that it really doesn't matter in my real world. The SB900 interface is sufficiently different that I have now learned both. (SB600 & SB800 UI were so close that they always tripped me up in their differences!)

servaasproducts wrote:
Mr Darcy wrote: I will expect my complementary set of imedions in the mail

remind me to put them in your next order

It was a joke Joyce :mrgreen:
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby aim54x on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:01 pm

It is very unfortunate to have had your gear stolen and it sucks even more that your not covered by your insurance. As for buying Pentax or switching to Nikon...that is something that you have decide for yourself.

CLS is great, I use it almost as much as I use my flashes (which is not very often). But the ability to control your off camera flashes from your camera body (without tying up one of your precious speedlights). As for lenses, whilst the 18-105VR is not bad, you may want to consider buying lenses seperately.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby servaasproducts on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:09 am

DanW wrote:Remember with the smaller Nikon bodies, they don't have the inbuilt focus motor so the older lenses won't autofocus. It becomes an problem if you want to buy/use older or second hand lenses. This was an issue for me which prompted me to buy the D90 instead of the D60.

Good point. The D5000 doesnt have the inbuilt motor. The HSM version of the Sigma 17-70 lens I am looking at costs $40 extra, so not a big issue.

I can see Nikons logic: for the entry level DLSR user they will start with the kit lens, and maybe never buy another lens, so it is not an issue to not have the motor, and it allows Nikon to offer the body at a lower pricepoint. For the user who intends to buy 3 or 4 lenes over time, they should be looking at the D90.
follow s on twitter
servaasproducts

Postby Glen on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:26 am

G'Day Jeff, Sorry to hear about your theft. I would also consider a modestly priced dedicated macro lens, something like a macro 90mm Tamron or similay. Or a good s/h macro.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby servaasproducts on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:16 pm

gstark wrote:While I and many others happen to think that Nikon's ergonomics are better than Canons, there's an ample number of Canon users who will be willing to say that Canon's ergonomics are superior to Nikon's.

The reality is that what's important is what works best, for you. I wouldn't be placing more weight on the capabilities of the various flash systems etc, but concentrating upon which body feels best in the hands.

Your hands.

That is where the hard work is going to be done, and that's also what's going to be the basis of any further lens acquisitions.

Lighting scenarios can be handled with different and varied pieces of equipment; that aspect should be considered as a secondary set of variables in your equation. Important, yes, but secondary.

Yes, good points. I will go and take some shots with each of them.

I would also suggest getting - if you're going Nikon - one of the Nikon kit lenses. Their optical quality, for the price, is great value.

If I get a Nikon 18-105 kit lens for everyday use, I would also need to get a macro lens. Looking at my Metadata, I rarely shoot macro wider than 28mm, and mostly shoot macro beteeen 35 and 70mm. Having a quick look, there aren't many sub $500 Nikon mount Macro lenses around! What do people think of this lens on ebay 60mm Nikkor F2.8 Macro?
follow s on twitter
servaasproducts

Postby ATJ on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:26 pm

servaasproducts wrote:What do people think of this lens on ebay 60mm Nikkor F2.8 Macro?

It is the older D series lens and is not AFS so AF won't work on a D60.

I've had one of these for over 13 years and it is by far my favourite lens. I just love using it. It is sharp and easy to use. I believe it focuses slightly more slowly than the G series macro but I have never had an issue with the speed of focusing (and above water I use manual focus for macro anyway).
ATJ

Postby servaasproducts on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:48 pm

ATJ wrote:It is the older D series lens and is not AFS so AF won't work on a D60.

I've had one of these for over 13 years and it is by far my favourite lens. I just love using it. It is sharp and easy to use. I believe it focuses slightly more slowly than the G series macro but I have never had an issue with the speed of focusing (and above water I use manual focus for macro anyway).

Speed of focusing is not important for product photography, sounds like it would be a good lens for a compatible camera. Would it autofocus with a D90?
follow s on twitter
servaasproducts

Postby chrisk on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:53 pm

servaasproducts wrote:
ATJ wrote:It is the older D series lens and is not AFS so AF won't work on a D60.

Speed of focusing is not important for product photography, sounds like it would be a good lens for a compatible camera. Would it autofocus with a D90?

the d90 has a built in focus motor so will autofocus with any AF lens. its only the d40/60/5000 that require the lens itself to have a focus motor. so yes, the 60/2.8D will work a treat on a d90.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Return to Nikon