D700 and ViewNX problem

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D700 and ViewNX problem

Postby tommyg on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:15 pm

I've just installed CaptureNX and ViewNX and having some problems getting the ViewNX to work!

I have no problems downloading images from the camera to the hard drive. When I start ViewNX - thumbnails are shown without a problem, but when I click on one to look at the full-sized image all I get is a blank grey screen. Doesn't matter whether I try and look at a NEF or JPG - same problem.

I've tried un-installing, upgrading to the latest version (1.2) - all without any success.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers
Tom
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Re: D700 and ViewNX problem

Postby ATJ on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:42 am

If you can't see JPEGs, you have a problem with your installation of ViewNX as JPEGs are generic and not specific to any camera. You should be able to open the JPEGs without problem with your browser (Firefox, Safari, etc.). Let us know if that works.
ATJ

Postby tommyg on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:48 am

Have no trouble seeing JPG files in other applications - just within ViewNX. neither JPG or NEF work except both show their thumbnails correctly.

when I click to open one, I get all of the information (F-Stop, ISO etc) with just a blank screen. If I have a photo that has bot jpg and raw - when I click on raw up the top left I get 'file type unsupported' appear in the middle of the screen. Also in the top right the histogram won't show for any image. Very annoying!
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
tommyg

Postby ATJ on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:52 am

That shows it is definitely a problem with your ViewNX installation. Do you have a copy of CaptureNX? If not, perhaps download the trial and see if that works OK.
ATJ

Postby tommyg on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:50 am

Hmm, well installed Capture NX 2 - and it seems to work without any problem. So tried yet again to uninstall and re-install ViewNX. Still no luck

Damn program is bugging me - almost ready to wipe computer back to scratch and install ViewNX as the first program to see if it works
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
tommyg

Postby tommyg on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:04 pm

Well, worked out the problem in the end ... of all things it was the 'driver' loaded for my monitor that was causing the problem!

Worked it out by doing a complete clean install of Windows on my machine (never realise how much software you have til you need to re-install!!), loaded everything back on - and it was working. 2 days later it stopped again - after doind Windows updates!

So - wiped the machine and started again... loaded each update one by one til it stopped. The standard Windows driver worked fine, but as soon as it knew my monitor correctly - no image in ViewNX 2 - very strange.

So now - I have the standard monitor driver - which works exactly the same anyway, and all working fine. Just in case anyone else can't get it working - give this a try :)

Tom
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
tommyg

Postby Critter on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:43 pm

do you mind me asking what monitor you use? I have had no end of problems when I install the driver for my Dell 2408 screen. It took me ages to identify what was screwing up my PC's colours.
Chris
D300 | D80 | 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 35 f/2 | 105VR f/2.8 | 18-200VR | SB600 | R1 | GP-1 |
Critter

Return to Nikon