The Nikon D200 Autofocus System

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

The Nikon D200 Autofocus System

Postby anubis on Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:53 pm

Guys this seems to have generated quite a bit of debate since release.

Was wondering if anybody knows how many Cross-type sensors the CAM 1000 module has (especially with following moving subjects).

There seems to be a direct relationship between them and the speed of autofocus as an example the CAM2000 module on the D2 series has 9 cross-type sensors out of 11 sensor points.

At a guess based on orientation compared to the D2 it looks like 5?

Just interested if anyone knows.
Nikon D300, Nikkors 70-200 VR, 17-55, 50 1.4,18-200 VR etc
anubis

Postby Glen on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:03 pm

You have asked the $64,000 question, I think it will be answered in late December. Even if you get the correct answer, the correllation to AF speed may have changed with new software or hardware.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby anubis on Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:28 pm

Very true Glen, heres hoping for 5.... cross types :)
Nikon D300, Nikkors 70-200 VR, 17-55, 50 1.4,18-200 VR etc
anubis

Postby marcotrov on Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:58 pm

Oh I so want the auto focus to be on the money as I think that it is really what will make it a great camera if the autofocus proves to be fast and accurate :roll: :wink:
Can anyone tell me why someone like DPreview guys couldn't at least have made some basic assessment in the preproduction model of the autofocus capabilities as they have all the baselines in the existing D70 and D2 series or do they have some issue about it? :roll:
As always just can't wait to see how it goes.
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Heath Bennett on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:01 pm

With AFS glass, I don't see too much of a difference between the D2x and D70!!!

Only with non-AFS glass or using teleconverters do the differences become apparent to me - especially if one forgoes manual focusing in macro.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby birddog114 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:02 pm

marcotrov wrote:
Can anyone tell me why someone like DPreview guys couldn't at least have made some basic assessment in the preproduction model of the autofocus capabilities as they have all the baselines in the existing D70 and D2 series or do they have some issue about it? :roll:
As always just can't wait to see how it goes.
cheers
marco

The preview won't reveal all the secrets! but the review will does.
Last edited by birddog114 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby marcotrov on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:07 pm

Thanks Birddog but gee Nikon are good at teasing us :twisted: Hope you got my response re-tripod Birddog? :(
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:17 pm

marco did you decide on a tripod and ballhead? I'd be interested in which you decided on. Heard anything from Qantas ?
Alpha_7

Postby marcotrov on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:21 pm

Well I do hope there is some considerable difference in autofocus performance even if not using AF-S cause I'd like to think that the D200 will push my AF-D 80-200 F/2.8 and my 80-400VR with a bit more gusto than the D70 :wink: Although I have been trying to look for an AF-S 80-200 as the 70-200VR is out of the question.
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby marcotrov on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:31 pm

Without wishing to hijack this thread. You wouldn't believe the drama, Craig. To cut long story short they rejected my quotes and obtained their own and have ordered for me Ted's?? but I can't have delivery for 7-10 days. As I said through no fault of my own they have "LOST" :evil: my tripod and I'm the one continuing to be inconvenienced but to be fair I can understand their business mentality. Well I'll have to to use my old 190 Manfrotto for my wife's 50th. I just feel bad for Birddog and the stuffing around he had to do getting the quote and then for them to do this, I apologise Birddog :oops:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby birddog114 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:55 pm

marcotrov wrote:Without wishing to hijack this thread. You wouldn't believe the drama, Craig. To cut long story short they rejected my quotes and obtained their own and have ordered for me Ted's?? but I can't have delivery for 7-10 days. As I said through no fault of my own they have "LOST" :evil: my tripod and I'm the one continuing to be inconvenienced but to be fair I can understand their business mentality. Well I'll have to to use my old 190 Manfrotto for my wife's 50th. I just feel bad for Birddog and the stuffing around he had to do getting the quote and then for them to do this, I apologise Birddog :oops:
cheers
marco

Marco,
Don't worry, I didn't expect Qantas (All Airlines) will give you the easy way by selecting your choice of suppliers once something happened.

Pls. remember: I quoted few times that I never claimed or demanded any compensation of any lost or damaged baggage thru the Airlines, I paid good sum to the my Home and Contents Insurance, so I deserve to have my choice of the replacement of whatever I lost or damaged during my trip, in transit or at home, and I always had the best replacements.
Last edited by birddog114 on Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby marcotrov on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:08 pm

True Birddog :roll: Thanks for your help. You live and learn :wink:
On the bright side just finished watching Australia get to the World Cup in Soccer :) :) :)
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Return to Nikon