PotW, August 9, 2005

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby stubbsy on Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:19 am

Wade (and others?)

I just want to add one thing to all this comment. Who gives a $%#$%# whether it could have been done in a darkroom or not. Surely every time we do some PP on a photo you don't honestly expect us to question whether it could be done in a darkroom or not before we proceed to work on our masterpiece. That's like saying you wouldn't take a pic with a lens that couldn't be taken with a pinhole camera. :shock:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby mic on Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:49 pm

Deb,

You get not only POTW but also COTW = Controversy Of The Week :lol:

Well done to all the none humourous over anal ists.

For gods sake just take some pics, post them, take the good with the bad & the Ugly :D

Then go out a praise the lord you are alive, life is too too short to give people the SHITS :D

Mic. :wink:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby stubbsy on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:26 pm

So tell us what you REALLY think mic :wink: :wink: :lol:
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Rick on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:32 pm

I can't imagine a more apropriate POW to end the aniversary w/end, a good fun, clever shot, well deserved Deb.

I couldn't make it to the celebrations (family comitments) but I have enjoyed following the posts on this forum.

Life is to short to take everything so serious, enjoy it while you can and be happy.

Cheers Rick.
Rick

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:15 pm

My my... isn't it absolutely unbelieveable how much controversy images are causing these days.

First of all:
Wade, while you may well think that every picture of the week has thus far had some level of technical expertise making it worthy of "Picture of the Week," that is entirely irrelevant.

What is relevant for PotW is what the person picking it that week, someone from our fine selection panel of mods and admins, thinks about the said image.

Now this week, every mod loved this image and just so that there could be no controversy, loop or collective otherwise, we went for a group decision.

Next week we'll be going back to what we did before and Geoff will get to pick an image.

However, technical skills aside, he will get to choose an image that he likes.

You don't have to like it or agree with it or think it's worthy of PotW. None of that matters. More to the point, I honestly couldn't give a damn if no one here does like the images that the mods pick. The point of the matter is that regardless of how you feel, a PotW is picked by a mod for that week because they want it.

Second:
If you feel that you haven't had opinions line up with what we think here then that's your issue, not ours.

Furthermore, three and a half years isn't all that long a time no matter how you slice it. It doesn't make you a professional, not that you were suggesting you were, nor should we engage in pissing contests here.

We have quite an array of professional photographers and experienced photographers on this board (and the two can be very different).

Now, if you want to be childish and not post again because you feel as if your opinion is different from the norm here, then that's your problem and your loss.

Frankly, I think you should keep an open mind. You've got a lot to learn.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby waspo on Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:24 pm

"Elvis has left the building..." :lol:
waspo

Location: Bentleigh East, Melbourne - SuPeR NikoN D7o aBuSeR!

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:30 pm

Elvis could sing.

Has the fat lady had her turn yet?

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kipper on Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:37 pm

Sigh, well I can understand where WadeM and Stubbsy are coming from to an extent. I haven't said it here before, but have spoken to others about what those "in the loop" decide to chose for the POTW. That was up until I got chosen for POTW, I had my week of fame and then I got over it. At first I was like Stubbsy and thought that this pic, purely based on other images I've seen over the past 7 days didn't deserve the POTW, then I sat back and laughed at the image. So I guess that's why the admins chose it, because it brought a smile to their face. I guess you had to be there, and be involved to see the funny side. Anyway having said that, hang around, post images, cop a few knockbacks. It will just make you work harder to try and produce a better shot. If you chose not to, then so be it.....your loss.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby ozczecho on Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:51 pm

Well done Deb...good idea and execution..I nearly believed Onyx when he said the sign did say "D70..." :shock:
ozczecho

Postby Alex on Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:54 pm

Well done Deb,

First time I saw the pic on the weekend, I couldn't believe it wasn't real.

Alex
Alex

Postby Marvin on Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:16 am

ozczecho wrote:Well done Deb...good idea and execution..I nearly believed Onyx when he said the sign did say "D70..." :shock:

I actually did until I saw Deb's picture. Gullible.... :oops:
Probably a small town, country girl thing.
Marvin

Postby informer on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:27 pm

HappyFotographer wrote:Goodness, a 3 page thread certainly not what I had in mind as I snapped off the image of the sign with plans of what I wanted to do already running through my mind.....and believe me not much runs through there anymore!

Firstly let me say thanks to the mods for choosing the image in the light that it was submitted......in fun and in celebration of what was a great weekend for myself personally and for the group as a whole.

And people are right, as an image by itself it is "average @ best" but hey, it's a picture of an RTA sign.....how good could it get?

It was never meant to be more than a bit of fluff and fun for everyone, and in all honesty, I think that this thread has gotten way too serious. I don't see where choosing something that is a bit of fun is an insult in any way to the many highly talented people on this forum......surely they can't be that unsure of their talent that my little attempt at fun hurts them in anyway.

not meant to be classed as a masterpiece for the ages (sorry Deb).

Frank, my husband loved this post, but then this whole thread made him laugh.

And for Stuart, here is a photo (and given that I haven't done anything to it I can call it a photo not an image) of the sign before my tinkering.

See, not even that much tinkering done.

So once again, thanks to those that enjoyed the image in the spirit it was submitted....may there always be room for a bit of fun.

Cheers
Deb

Hi Deb,

thanks for the replies. No I'm not at all worried about people's responses to what I said and I knew that the photo was selected based on a simple caption in the photo rather than the photo. Heck, if I was a big fan of this forum, then I would have laughed too.

I posted this on another photo forum and I don't think it would be fair to hear what they had to say simply because the photo is forum-related (maybe that other guy was right, something about the inner circle).

And thanks to the people who PM me and thanked me for my views 8)
Check out my latest - http://englishnewbies.tripod.com/blog
--------------------------------------------------
Team D50 - Honcho leader [ Japan ]
"Don't bother with PotW" - John Howard
informer

Postby informer on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:28 pm

gstark wrote:
informer wrote: might as well forget about section if you can't take the rest of us seriously. :roll:

Nothing on this site is meant to be taken seriously. It's recreational site, and I think it's high time that a few of you started to understand that simple fact of life.

Well I hope so and I hope you do too.
informer

Postby informer on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:33 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:very well pointed out Greg.

I feel it is unnecessary to second guess the MOD who chooses the POTW. We should be talking about the picture that has been selected, NOT why it was selected (at least to this extent anyway).

Just my opinion...

So about the picture in question, what should we be talking about?

That its was a good photoshop job?

Anything else in particular that I can learn from the picture?
informer

Postby stubbsy on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:43 pm

Informer. If you are unhappy here no one is forcing you to be here :wink: For myself I don't always like the POTW choice, but at the risk of endlessly repeating myself, that's the way democracies work - you don't always get the outcome you'd prefer
Peter
stubbsy

Postby informer on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:44 pm

Glen wrote:Informer it is clear by your post that you did not share the joie de vivre of the people who attended the AA. This photo is a celebration of that, nothing more nothing less. Don't bother trying to read deeper into it.

Are you the same guy who voted a blurred out of focus picture as PotW?

Yeah I could see the humour in that one, but if that is your real ability then er... good luck to you?
informer

Postby HappyFotographer on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:51 pm

informer wrote:Heck, if I was a big fan of this forum, then I would have laughed too.

If you aren't a "big fan of this forum" then what on earth are you still doing here....causing trouble?

I posted this on another photo forum and I don't think it would be fair to hear what they had to say simply because the photo is forum-related (maybe that other guy was right, something about the inner circle).

If I read this right, you took my photo and posted it on another forum so that you could get people to agree with you that it wasn't worth of PoTW. If I have this right...then what the F*ck.....you really need to let this go. This image is for the people of this forum to relate to, not other non members who wouldn't of had a clue of the fact that we had an anniversary weekend. And taking my image and posting it willy nilly without my permission really sucks......

But anyway, I've had enough of this, and can't wait till Tuesday when the mods will choose another image........I can only hope for that person you find it worthy. :roll:
"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Postby stubbsy on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:54 pm

Deb chill
Last edited by stubbsy on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:55 pm

informer wrote:
Aussie Dave wrote:very well pointed out Greg.

I feel it is unnecessary to second guess the MOD who chooses the POTW. We should be talking about the picture that has been selected, NOT why it was selected (at least to this extent anyway).

Just my opinion...

So about the picture in question, what should we be talking about?

Considering the Anniversary Meet had just concluded, as I have stated before, I think this was a creative idea. Most certainly not the "best" Photoshop editing anyone's ever seen....but not the worst either. Some merit surely has to go to Deb's creativity ?? For those that don't like it, voice your opinion, by all means, but why make a big song and dance about why it was chosen ??

If we're going to be like that around here, Gary might as well pull the plug now and we can all go our seperate ways.

Anything else you can learn from this picture ?? I'm not sure....you tell me ?!? You seem to have all the answers at the moment ?!?!?
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby birddog114 on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:58 pm

HappyFotographer,

You have the right to dispute here, and you're right 100%, no one can take your works to show to another site without your permission.

Yes, the POTW is deserved to be on the front page this week, and for the AW, I support it, having fun or dislike it is his personal problems, no one can stop you or the mods posting this POTW.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby informer on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:17 pm

stubbsy wrote:Informer. If you are unhappy here no one is forcing you to be here :wink: For myself I don't always like the POTW choice, but at the risk of endlessly repeating myself, that's the way democracies work - you don't always get the outcome you'd prefer

You're right, nobody is forcing me to be here, but I could be forced out :wink:

I always believe life to be fair. I grew up fighting and believing life to be fair, that's just the way I am.

I've been banned from 2 sites already (twice from the same site) because I'm just the outspoken type (different from the troll type). There are people who don't like it when you answer back, and there are others who admire you for it. Works both ways.

After all, we are on the internet, and like gstarks said, this is a recreational forum which we can't take too seriously.
informer

Postby johndec on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:29 pm

informer wrote:
I've been banned from 2 sites already (twice from the same site)

Really? Can't understand why... :roll:

Why is this so important to you? To go to the extent of stealing Debs' intellectual property to make your peurile point is bordering on obsessive behaviour.
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:35 pm

While I haven't been keeping up with this thread, let me have my stab:

1. It was Greg B who voted for the blurry pic of mine for PotW which caused controversy, not Glen.

2. You have the right to not like a PotW. Hey, it's cool. Not everyone will like images. I'm sure there are people who take photos that you can't stand, whether they're Ansel Adams, Jock Sturges, Annie Leibovitz, Bill Henson... whoever.
So it's cool... you have the right to disagree that because something is Photoshopped that it's not worthy of being classed as a "Picture of the Week".
That is one of your rights.
You even have the right to think that our policy of image selection based solely on the what the person wants as PotW sucks. Once again, you are allowed to have that opinion.

However.

This doesn't mean you have the right to go to another forum, post the image, and then put on a discussion about how much you think that the said image doesn't deserve to be a PotW.

As I've said before, I honestly don't give a damn if you don't like the image or if you disagree with it being PotW.

You're not a moderator let alone the moderator who chose the image.

What I'm concerned about regarding PotW is what the moderator on PotW duty that week wants.

Remember, it's their decision. Not yours, not mine (unless it's my turn), only theirs. It is their choice.

So whether or not you disagree with it is entirely irrelevant.

You are free to not like the decision.
You are free to feel it's unworthy of PotW.

However, hosting a discussion based on the unworthiness of someone's opinion is something that you seriously need to think about in regards to what is and what isn't a nice or good thing to do.

How about this?
What if we elected one of your images as Picture of the Week?
What if a lot of us decided that the photo wasn't impressive... had little or no technical skills used, the post-processing wasn't that great, the subject matter was tedious, etc etc.
What if something like that occurred?

Would you feel angry, offended, hurt, or would you let it slide right off of your back?

Would you try to defend yourself?

By taking it to a different site, aside for possible copyright issues, you have essentially asked people to judge her image quality based on a set of "logic" that you have supplied.
In essence, all this is doing is boosting your ego and making you feel good that your opinion may or may not right.

Well, good for you.

Now get over yourself.

The images selected as PotW are chosen by the moderators... it is their choice.
You can have an opinion, but you not thinking it's worthy of PotW is irrelevant.

Provided it's picked for PotW means it is warranted as worthy of PotW.

Deal with it.
Nnnnsic

Postby kipper on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:36 pm

Going completely OT here.

Informer, I just thought I'd let you know that the hosting of your website is awful. I was interested to check out some of your works but was purely put off by the countless pop ups. kthx.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby informer on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:37 pm

HappyFotographer wrote:If you aren't a "big fan of this forum" then what on earth are you still doing here....causing trouble?

I'm a new member, so not yet a big fan of this forum. And what made you think I'm causing trouble?

HappyFotographer wrote:If I read this right, you took my photo and posted it on another forum so that you could get people to agree with you that it wasn't worth of PoTW. If I have this right...then what the F*ck.....you really need to let this go.

No, but I didn't expect you to be able to read other people's mind. I posted it for comments and never mentioned your name or anything, to to tell others that it wasn't PotW. I wanted to know if it is really a quality photo that I'm looking at selected by a bunch of so-called experts?
Its an interesting photo, and should've been cleared from the start that it was indeed a photoshop job, and a good one at that.

HappyFotographer wrote:This image is for the people of this forum to relate to, not other non members who wouldn't of had a clue of the fact that we had an anniversary weekend.

That's fine and nobody, especially myself is accusing you of doing anything wrong, nor is anyone judging you or your moral values. Question is, who the hell was blind enough to pick this over the other quality photos that I've seen?

HappyFotographer wrote:And taking my image and posting it willy nilly without my permission really sucks......

Well I'm sorry about that. If it had your name on it then I wouldn't have done that (I would have linked the thread). But what's wrong with getting other people to judge? Again, its not judging you or your abilities, its judging the fact that it was chosen for PotW. Again, who judges these things?

HappyFotographer wrote:But anyway, I've had enough of this, and can't wait till Tuesday when the mods will choose another image........I can only hope for that person you find it worthy. :roll:

I can only hope that they change the reviewers for PotW to someone who does have a clue because so far it has been a joke. Perhaps it was a joke, so lets have a good laugh about it then :wink:
informer

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:40 pm

informer wrote:I posted this on another photo forum

What they said is totally irrelevant.

I have but one question for you, and I'm going to cross check this with Deb: Did you have Deb's permission to post this image on any other forum?

FYI, the image is copyright, and we view copyright here very bloody seriously. I have, in the past, had to ask members to removes images from here, where they did not hold rights to that image displayed through these forums.

So, a straight answerto this question is now required.

And to make sure that you get this message, I will be sending you a PM as well.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby informer on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:41 pm

kipper wrote:Going completely OT here.

Informer, I just thought I'd let you know that the hosting of your website is awful. I was interested to check out some of your works but was purely put off by the countless pop ups. kthx.

No problem. I hate it too :lol:

But its free (25mb) and I think like a lot of people I just used Tripod's default page templates. Just needed something to show my pictures to my students and teachers.

The popups are truely awful aren't they!

Here's an old site I used to work on though :

http://www.tp.edu.sg/

Used to have a lot more pictures of the lovely campus and less Macromedia stuff.
informer

Postby informer on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:45 pm

gstark wrote:

I have but one question for you, and I'm going to cross check this with Deb: Did you have Deb's permission to post this image on any other forum?

FYI, the image is copyright, and we view copyright here very bloody seriously. I have, in the past, had to ask members to removes images from here, where they did not hold rights to that image displayed through these forums.

You have received my PM.

But where on the picture is it copyright?

And where is the information on this forum about copyright?

And what people have to say about the PotW is totally relevant.

At least, it tells me that it is a joke.
informer

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:47 pm

The fact that the image is taken by a person other than yourself means there is a question of permissions.

Also, the fact that the image was listed here as PotW with who did the image means you knew who took the image, who worked on the image, and who owns the rights to the said image.

Before we post PotW, we even ask for copyright.

You knew who you should've asked... you just didn't.
Last edited by Nnnnsic on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nnnnsic

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:48 pm

informer wrote:So about the picture in question, what should we be talking about?

Let me answer all three of your questions here.

1: The originality of the idea: it took somebody quite some thought to come up with the concept. I would respectyfully suggest that, rather than trying to stir up trouble here (which seems to be your intent) you focussed on getting some original thoughts together for an equally enternaing concept!

2: Yes, it was quite a good photoshop job. You could learn a lot from Deb's technicques.

3: I would say a little bit of human dignity would be a good start. Deb has had to endure your slanging matches, and what looks to me like your stealing of her IP in this image by posting it to another forum without first getting her permission.

If you have taken her IP without her approval, I would certainly be in favour of directing your ISP to that fact, and asking them to deal with you in a manner that is deemed appropropriate. Let me assure you that, in the current climate, ISPs rarely fail to address breaches of copyright provisions in a prompt and assertive manner.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:57 pm

informer wrote:
gstark wrote:

You have received my PM.

And where is the information on this forum about copyright?

And what people have to say about the PotW is totally relevant.

At least, it tells me that it is a joke.

Informer, with all due respect..'get over it'..it's a photo, the majority liked it, it's been said and done to death that it was original idea, clever, witty and fun...fun fun fun...what this forum is soo famous for. Now, let it go and leave it the hell alone. It made POTW and it was someone's choice that got a lot of mutual backing. Sure it created some controvesy, but now it's time to let it go. Moving right along......
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby stubbsy on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:57 pm

Informer.

I've just trolled back through some of your posts here. There are a number of your images in those posts. None of them have a copyright tag line printed on them as far as I can discern. Does this, in your opinion, mean I can take them and do what I like with them and not be in breach of any copyright you may assert in the image?

Secondly I am now very disturbed by the following request I notice you made of another image poster in this thread

Informer wrote:Do you have a bigger one that you can send to me?
Peter
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:59 pm

informer wrote:You're right, nobody is forcing me to be here, but I could be forced out

Forget the wink.

But that's the first, and only, accurate statement you seem to have made in this thread.

I always believe life to be fair. I grew up fighting and believing life to be fair, that's just the way I am.

OK ....

I've been banned from 2 sites already (twice from the same site) because I'm just the outspoken type (different from the troll type).

Actually, I've been active on the internet for a lot longer than I care to admit. And I've been actively invloved with forums of all manner for a long time before that.

Let me assure you of one thing, backed by well over twenty five years' experience in the field. You're acting like a troll.

Especially by taking images without permission and posting to other forums without permission.

After all, we are on the internet, and like gstarks said, this is a recreational forum which we can't take too seriously.

Actually, it's "gstark" Trolls don't care about accuracy.

And you've left out one important fact: it's a private forum!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Sheetshooter on Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:12 pm

Stubbsy,

In the light of recently discovered activities, has it been - or can it be - verified that the person who posted the macro shot of the insect on the blade of grass in the BLUE THEME thread that you posted the link to was actually the author of the photograph?

Clearly it does assist verification if people do actually put their name on their images - possibly with the addition of the © symbol - on this insecure medium of the information superhighway.

Cheers,
Last edited by Sheetshooter on Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby leek on Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:15 pm

Excuse me, but I think that we might all be taking this a teeny-weeny bit too seriously...

Instead of wasting your time point scoring here... why don't you go and give me some feedback on the 3 photos I posted today???
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:17 pm

informer wrote:I'm a new member, so not yet a big fan of this forum. And what made you think I'm causing trouble?

Judging by the PMs I'm recieving complaining about you, your obsessive attitude about this image, and your failure to respect the IP of others, I'd say that trouble was pretty much your goal here.

No, but I didn't expect you to be able to read other people's mind. I posted it for comments and never mentioned your name or anything, to to tell others that it wasn't PotW.

If you've so much as posted a reference, anywhere, to this, then the mention of any names is simply not relevant.

You have breached Deb's IP. What do you intend to do about that?

I wanted to know if it is really a quality photo that I'm looking at selected by a bunch of so-called experts?

A couple of points of order, and you really need to pay attention, boyo.

1. The PotW has never been claimed to be selected by any experts, any panel of experts, or by any persons who call themselves such. The use of the word "expert" is your's, and your's alone, and you are alone in your use of it within this context, and your complete and utter misunderstanding of this.

2. The PotW is selected purely and simply on the basis of whatever ad-hoc criteria the person (or people) charged with selecting it deem it apppropriate for that week. The is not, and never has been, and never will be any determination that the photo should excel in any particular way.

That it stood out in some way is good enough.

3: If you cannot accept that simple fact without obsessing, as seems to be the case, then I would respectfully suggest that you may be in need of help.

Either get over it, or seek help!

That's fine and nobody, especially myself is accusing you of doing anything wrong, nor is anyone judging you or your moral values. Question is, who the hell was blind enough to pick this over the other quality photos that I've seen?

Again for the very last time - the use of the word "quality" is yours.

Please show me where, in the description of the Photo of the Week, that word is used?

Let me help you just a little: it is not, and any use of it is purely within your imagination. It's high time wiu came back down to reality though.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:19 pm

Sheetshooter wrote:Stubbsy,

In the light of recently discovered activities, has it been - or can it be - verified that the person who posted the macro shot of the insect on the blade of grass in the BLUE THEME thread that you posted the link to was actually the author of the photograph?

Clearly it does assist verification if people do actually put their name on their images - possibly with the addition of the © symbol - on this insecure medium of the information superhighway.

Cheers,

SHeetshooter. Agree completely. I think it's a useful thing. I'm trying to discipline myself to do it all the time (with limited success :cry: )
Peter
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:25 pm

informer wrote:You have received my PM.

Which did not contain the information I asked you give me, such as details of where you posted your messages. Your offences were potentially quite grave, and I needed to examine them in order to determine exactly what you had done.

Copyright vests in the phot for the photographer by international law. You are posting in an international forum, and you should be aware of the law.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:35 pm

Sheetshooter wrote:Stubbsy,

My images always contain the copyright information embedded within the EXIF data, which I think is about a good a place as any to include this vital information.

And for those who are interested, with the continued and repeated failure of Informer to provide me with the details of where he posted the links to Deb's photos - I asked him three times, and instead of supplying the links, he just obfustacted his responses, his final one threatening to tell everyone here that I was sending him PMs - which I was, asking him for those details ....

I've sadly been left with no alternative but to ban him.

It's a tough call, and it's an action that I've only used once before here, but he has either breached Deb's, and my, copyright, and is refusing to divulge details of this, or he hasn't, in which case he has deliberately embarked upon a path of deception and disruption to this forum.

Either way, I am not prepared to permit him that amount of lattitiude with my services, and he is no longer welcome here.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:32 pm

Good.

Deb, I liked your image - it was a great one for our anniversary weekend PotW, and I am pleased to have been one of the team who selected it.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby leek on Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:34 pm

And I'm pleased to have been part of the team who enjoyed it for what it was...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby johnd on Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:12 pm

I just took another look thru this thread before I hit the sack. I had no idea what had been going on over the last day or so.

A bit OT but, one thing that I don't think was said but I'm sure is appreciated by 95% of the members is that the mods do a great job with this forum. They put in a heap of time and it's all voluntary for the benefit of our enjoyment. And from time to time they cop some fairly unreasonable behaviour, which I think is totally unfair and unreasonable.

Keep up the excellent work guys.
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
johnd

Postby Onyx on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:28 am

Threads like these turn this forum into one of 'the others', and one reason I enjoy coming on here as opposed to other places is to avoid these types of trivial arguments over insignificant things.

informer, perhaps you thought there were more 'worthy' candidates for PotW than the one selected. Well guess what - tough shit, you're not the one who decides. You always have the option of STFU. Nobody's forcing you to like the selection. If you view the PotW on this website as a joke, then why get so emotionally attached to it that you would go and post about it on another forum?
What were you truly seeking? People having no clue what the image depicted sharing your critical opinion of it? What purpose would that serve? Affirming your ego?

Here: you have a big dick. Do you feel better now? FFS get over it!
Onyx

Postby big pix on Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:20 am

.......LETS ALL MOVE ON.....and go and take some photo's........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby birddog114 on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:00 am

IMHO, POTW is the one without any special description or condition to post, pictures from our members had been selected by the mods to display in the front page for a week.

Like or dislike is up to the individual choice, taste and humor, also it has its own controversy, people can raise their voice on or critique but can't flame on it, everyone has to respect the decision of the mods, and the mods here all get the approval of other prior to post the pic. Some pics with fun, other with techniques which we all learned from difference corner, or seeing it as an example of the failure of your techniques.

Informer has gone so far by doing his own thing and it's unacceptable with our guidelines, 12 months on, we had no flame, we had no bashing and we all have fun with all the activities here, we have to keep this forever, people can leave as they can join, no one stopping them and it's their desire. Other part, stolen IP from member and posted to other board without her permission is a dirty game from a dirty narrow mind, I won't accept it. If this still happen, do you want to post your pics here again?

I support this action from gstark, I support the pics for the fun at the AW, at least we had something special for the marking of the AW, it's not an excellent pics, but it's a well skilled photos, it got the creatively talent from the photogs and at the right time and it's deserved POTW.

So, let him go, let him find his own way to do thing like this on other forum, not here finally.

We won't and never ever accept or living, sharing with the troll within our boundary.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Re: PotW, August 9, 2005

Postby MCWB on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:10 am

gstark wrote:And why not?

Agreed, great PotW. Fits well with what PotW is IMO; who cares what it 'should be'... :x
MCWB

Postby Yedrup on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:49 pm

Great pic Deb :)

It sums up for me what this weekend was .... a special event.... for a group of friends to meet, chew the fat, talk of photography, lie about the ones that got away (maybe that was just me :oops: ) and have a great weekend.

I haven't been here that long, nor have I posted many pics but I have always enjoyed looking at what is here. Your pic is no different I like it as an image and as an offering to us friends on our special weekend.

Mind you I am embarassed to admit my first thoughts were 'how the hell did someone get RTA to do that' :oops: :oops: not that I will admit it.

Thanks Deb, you made me and many others laugh and if you have a picture that can do that then it has its' own magic.

:D :D :D

Cheers,
Terry
"Photography is not about cameras, gadgets and gismos. Photography is about photographers. A camera didn't make a great picture any more than a typewriter wrote a great novel." -Peter Adams, Sydney 1978
Yedrup

Postby HappyFotographer on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:29 pm

Yedrup wrote:Thanks Deb, you made me and many others laugh and if you have a picture that can do that then it has its' own magic.

Thanks Terry.

Now onto a new PoTW.......can't wait to see this one.

Cheers
Deb
"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Postby wendellt on Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:43 pm

Hi Deb

Congratulations on this most innovative image

The manipulation is simple but your choice to use it in this manner is just brilliant and very appropriate

I think your image is the first photo composite ever to make the hall of fame.
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Previous

Return to Picture of the Week