April was red: the winners.

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

April was red: the winners.

Postby gstark on Thu May 06, 2010 12:12 pm

First of all, a big thank you to Fozzie, Sheepie and Stubbsy for volunteering to be judges this time around. I think they did a great job, and chose some great images. Great job Leighton, Leon and Peter.

I will say that I am very bloody disappointed at the number of entries that this challenge enjoyed. Peter recently made a point about the absence of enthusiasm regarding the 2x2 activities that he was organising. His points were valid and well made, and sadly, reflected in the lack of interest displayed by you in this challenge.

This is not the first time that we have seen very few entries. Running these does take some effort, and if you are not going to bother entering, then why the hell should we bother organising them for you?

Enough of the carping ...

No. 1 - Aim54x (Cameron)

No. 2 - Biggerry (Gerry)

No. 3 - Reschesmooth (Patrick)

Thank you to all who took the time and effort to enter. The gallery is here, and I shall add the entrants' names to the images later today.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: April was red: the winners.

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu May 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Congratulations to the winners, and all those that entered. I got close to taking a photo twice during the period but life namely more work got in the way. That said my shot wouldn't of held a candle to the winners, but I do feel bad that I didn't get to submit a shot. (Given it was a pretty easy theme).
Alpha_7

Postby surenj on Thu May 06, 2010 1:59 pm

Congrats Cameron, Gerry and Patrick. Top images!!!! Love that red. :cheers:
surenj

Postby surenj on Thu May 06, 2010 2:20 pm

gstark wrote:I will say that I am very bloody disappointed at the number of entries that this challenge enjoyed. Peter recently made a point about the absence of enthusiasm regarding the 2x2 activities that he was organising. His points were valid and well made, and sadly, reflected in the lack of interest displayed by you in this challenge.

Hmm...maybe need to offer a nikon calculator? :mrgreen:
Seriously forum activity seems to be tailing off. Part of the natural cycle?? Does it wax and wane a bit? This has been discussed at length before and I don't know whether anyone could come up with any explanation or solution?
surenj

Postby aim54x on Fri May 07, 2010 12:33 am

WOW, I cant believe that I have been chosen for this one. There were some great shots entered so I am really surprised by this one. Huge thanks for Gary for organising this, and Stubbsy, Fozzie and Sheepie for adjudicating.

surenj wrote:
gstark wrote:I will say that I am very bloody disappointed at the number of entries that this challenge enjoyed. Peter recently made a point about the absence of enthusiasm regarding the 2x2 activities that he was organising. His points were valid and well made, and sadly, reflected in the lack of interest displayed by you in this challenge.

Hmm...maybe need to offer a nikon calculator? :mrgreen:
Seriously forum activity seems to be tailing off. Part of the natural cycle?? Does it wax and wane a bit? This has been discussed at length before and I don't know whether anyone could come up with any explanation or solution?

It is a shame that only so few people seem to be active on the forum at the moment. Prehaps this is not the best place to discuss this, but there has been a decline since the end of 2008, which we attributed to people tightening their belts due to the GFC, but we have yet to see a return from many members. It is very sad that there is a lack of enthusiasm for 2x2's (just as I have reclaimed my weekends!!) and it would have been good to see more pictures entered into this competition. I am sure a lot of you out there are sitting there thinking, I could have taken a better picture, or at least one that matched the level of the entries received.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby ATJ on Fri May 07, 2010 8:34 am

surenj wrote:Congrats Cameron, Gerry and Patrick. Top images!!!! Love that red. :cheers:

:agree:

I would have love to have entered and had my shot all planned. Unfortunately, weather conditions and available dive sites meant I was not able to get the shot I wanted.
ATJ

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri May 07, 2010 9:43 am

Cameron, great shot and worthy winner - the geometry, isolation and vibrancy of the leaf are fantastic.

I can appreciate Gary's frustration and disappointment as 8 entries only barely makes a competition. Without wishing it to be so, I could understand if Gary chose not to host further competitions.

As for participation on both the forum and 2x2s; well regarding the former, I seem to rarely pick up a camera to take non-child shots (of which people become increasingly tired) and am not a useful critic of posted images. Regarding the latter, my weekends generally already incorporate up to 5 hours of additional 'me' time, now with training for the Oxfam Trailwalker 100km walk later this year, meaning I am reluctant to foist the boys onto Alicia by herself for additional time.

I would love to participate to a greater extent as the creative outlet my camera provides is very theraputic, but I just find it difficult at the moment.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby surenj on Fri May 07, 2010 11:18 am

That aside, did you just use two strip (soft) boxes to light the wine Patrick?? Beautiful appropriate lighting!
surenj

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri May 07, 2010 11:50 am

Suren, two softboxes (both from Poon) - 1 is a large 160x80 (I think) and the other a smaller 80x60 or something. Placed at about 10 & 2 (looking from above bottles with me at 6 o'clock).
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby colin_12 on Fri May 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Congrats people, nice work by all.
I was all set to enter as well but will blame being a uni student again while working full time for my slackness.
Not a real good excuse but is the best I have. I am sorry Garry.
:surrender:
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby paulmac on Fri May 07, 2010 10:12 pm

Nice entries to those who posted, and my congrats to the winners. (And nice lighting Patrick. I read Strobist every other day, and I didn't even initially notice the lighting you applied there. Is that the mark of great lighting without making it look like it's been lit!?)

Five of the eight entries made it on my short-list. Tough job being a judge and having to narrow it down even further, as I would have voted differently.

In hindsight I can think of a few pictures from my archive that I could have submitted, but didn't...I didn't think they were worthy, but I guess you'll never know if you don't give it a go...

My only excuse I can give is where the bloody hell did April go?!

The thing I liked about the weekender challenges when I first joined the forum was that it forced me to get off my ar$e and find a picture to answer the challenge. Life just seems to get in the way at the moment...

Gary, why are the entries submitted in private? Could future comps (and I'm hoping there are future ones... I promise I'll submit!) be on the board? Either to give people (ok, me) some encouragement, and/or open the vote to the masses. Not a complaint, just a suggestion.
paulmac

Postby gstark on Sat May 08, 2010 9:00 am

Hi Paul

paulmac wrote:Gary, why are the entries submitted in private? Could future comps (and I'm hoping there are future ones... I promise I'll submit!) be on the board? Either to give people (ok, me) some encouragement, and/or open the vote to the masses. Not a complaint, just a suggestion.

The issue with placing the challenge entries onto the board in the first instance is simply one of protection of the ideas and concepts embodied within each image. We wouldn't want, for instance, you to have a good idea, only to see it gazumped by somebody else who might be able to execute a different, but perhaps better image based off your concept.

As always, I'm interested to hear the ideas of others on this topic, so please feel free to offer your suggestions and thoughts.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby biggerry on Sat May 08, 2010 6:07 pm

Great stuff Cameron, well done, thats one fine image and well deserved. :up:

gstark wrote:Running these does take some effort, and if you are not going to bother entering, then why the hell should we bother organising them for you

I agree. Sadly I suspect its just an unfortunate fact there are alot more takers and not many givers in the current crossection of members, there appears to be a small core group of members who diligantly post and critque away, this group has grown smaller over the months.

Realistically its all in this thread anyways...

http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36865
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat May 08, 2010 7:44 pm

biggerry wrote:Great stuff Cameron, well done, thats one fine image and well deserved.

:agree:

Much better than mine. I too had a concept that simply didn't work out. When time was running out, I tried and posted a different idea. I wasn't happy with the image, nor were the judges, but I really don't think winning was the point.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby surenj on Sat May 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:but I really don't think winning was the point.

:agree: I reckon many people could have had a go!

biggerry wrote:I agree. Sadly I suspect its just an unfortunate fact there are alot more takers and not many givers in the current crossection of members, there appears to be a small core group of members who diligantly post and critque away, this group has grown smaller over the months.

Realistically its all in this thread anyways...

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36865

:agree: Bring on Synthesis 3.0
Would it save us from this lull?
Since it was almost a year since we had this conversation, should we rejuvenate it??
Should we start a new thread? :mrgreen:
surenj

Postby PiroStitch on Sat May 08, 2010 8:13 pm

Congrats to the top 3!!! Great photos, great lighting.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby biggerry on Sat May 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Since it was almost a year since we had this conversation, should we rejuvenate it??
Should we start a new thread?

lol, i am not sure, I just spent 15 minutes of my saturday night reading through all that..again, lucky I got a beer to keep me company.
biggerry

Postby surenj on Sat May 08, 2010 9:14 pm

biggerry wrote:
lol, i am not sure, I just spent 15 minutes of my saturday night reading through all that..again, lucky I got a beer to keep me company.

:rotfl2: I couldn't be bothered reading that one. The answers would be obsolete to a certain degree. :|

I think a paradigm shift is in order. We need to meet more and take more photos together. The posting and critique will come as a result of that. It helps to know the people that you are critiquing. Less talk; more action. :violin:
surenj

Postby aim54x on Sat May 08, 2010 10:49 pm

surenj wrote:We need to meet more and take more photos together. The posting and critique will come as a result of that. It helps to know the people that you are critiquing. Less talk; more action. :violin:

That sounds great to me!
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Big Red on Sat May 08, 2010 11:33 pm

congrats to the winners ... well done.

As you all know i love Red ... i have tons of great Red Shots in my archives but lack of money kept me at home and i couldn't find anything within walking distance that was even remotely interesting.

I did get out on two weekends to shoot two 4WD comps but couldn't find anything of Red interest there either and only had enough fuel to go there and back :roll:

It seems that comps all over the net have quietened off, the weekly comp on here doesn't get much interest either.
Big Red

Postby biggerry on Fri May 14, 2010 1:26 am

surenj wrote:I think a paradigm shift is in order

I agree

We need to meet more and take more photos together. The posting and critique will come as a result of that. It helps to know the people that you are critiquing. Less talk; more action.

sounds good, I am keen for some action, but am more keen to push my comfort zone and get into different aspects of photography - maybe something like a themed shoot...or somethign like the Newtown portraiture thing again, that was great imo.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Fri May 14, 2010 9:05 am

Just on the topic of entries, i am torn by this, but does anyone think that allowing the entry of archive images would increase the participation? i like the excuse to go out and shoot, but i know i struggled with time and ideas and got my shot one afternoon in the botanical gardens with my girlfriend when i said to her....today i'm taking photos of red....i don't think she understood...

on the topic of the paradigm shift....myself, alberto (kakildro) and others will be meeting to shoot the harbour tonight. Anyone who can make it should come and send off a member destined for europe so he can realise what he will be missing.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri May 14, 2010 9:36 am

aim54x wrote:but does anyone think that allowing the entry of archive images would increase the participation?

I doubt it.
Have a look at the Bimonthly comp. Archived photos are allowed in that, and frequently turn up, but participation is usually lacklustre. Often only a couple of entries, and once only one. Not sure who won that week. :roll: Looking at that comp, it seems that a theme that captures the imagination is the key. BTW have you done your pee yet? I saw a Plethora of Pianos in a shop window the other day, but didn't have my camera with me :cry: It was at Top Ryde if someone closer wants to have a crack at them.

aim54x wrote:Anyone who can make it should come

Ah if it was only a Sublime Point Sunrise...
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Return to Announcements