split prism circle on digital cameras

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

split prism circle on digital cameras

Postby craig.rohse on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:42 pm

Hi there!!!

I have finally received my adaptor for my OM lenses but find it hard to focus correctly with my 40D viewfinder.
I have had a look online and have found this http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Canon-40D-50D-Focusing-Screen--prod_40D.html.
Has anyone used manual focusing lenses on digital Cameras or even better has anyone used a split prism circle and a microprism collar on a digital camera.

Would love to hear your thoughts and maybe a few tips and tricks!!!

Thanks

Craig
"Old school" (Olympus OM 1&2SP )
craig.rohse

Re: split prism circle on digital cameras

Postby aim54x on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:48 pm

I have used my AI Nikkor 135mm f/2.8 and a Series E Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 on my cameras (Nikon D300 and Nikon D60) and have often relied on luck + the little focus confirmation light to let me know when things are in focus. i would love to have a split screen in these cameras (and full metering in the D60)

The D60 has "rangefinder mode" where the light meter (in the viewfinder) is replaced by a focus aide, this works really well with my other lenses (that dont have SWM (nikon USM) and therefore dont AF on the D60).

I have looked at the KatzEyes before but have not made the jump yet.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby ATJ on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:50 am

I regularly use my 60mm macro lens on my D300 in manual mode (specifically for macro work). I don't have too much trouble getting things in focus. One thing that helps is that it is a f/2.8 lens and there isn't a lot of DOF when working up close so it is pretty easy to see when something is in focus - especially the eyes of insects, etc. A split prism would be counter productive in this situation because a) the area in focus is typically very small and b) you don't always want the focal point in the centre of the image.
ATJ

Postby phillipb on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:40 am

I agree with your points except for

ATJ wrote: b) you don't always want the focal point in the centre of the image.

Nothing stopping you recomposing after you've focused on the eyes, if anything it's easier then doing it with autofocus, specially if you use the centre focus mode.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby ATJ on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:00 am

phillipb wrote:I agree with your points except for

ATJ wrote: b) you don't always want the focal point in the centre of the image.

Nothing stopping you recomposing after you've focused on the eyes, if anything it's easier then doing it with autofocus, specially if you use the centre focus mode.

Not with macro and especially not with live animals. The depth of field is that small that recomposing can change the focus and additionally the animal can move in that time. Autofocus is just not reliable enough, especially when the thing you want in focus is so small.
ATJ

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions