Some thoughts for beginners

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Some thoughts for beginners

Postby robert on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:43 am

I've been into photography for a fair while, but only had a DSLR for 6 months. Before digital I ended up using Large format cameras which only take one sheet of film per load, So set up and composition was all done in my head and on the big ground glass screen.

On a recent trip trying to take waterfall shots I noticed something I never used to do- I took multiple shots (not just one or sometimes two if tricky lighting) of the one scene with different exposures. Each gave a different effect of water moving etc..

I have also noticed when I take shots of people and especially my toddler I take 5 or 6 shots in slow succession and ineveitably one stands out.

So what am I doing differently. In the past to get better at photography you just took photos and over time noticed what works both compositionally and also understanding that aperture effects depth of field and shutter speed effects movement. Over a few years I kind of developed a style. (the other key change came when I stopped putting the persons head in the centre of the frame and moved it to the top third)

So I think the answer still lies in taking more photos but maybe instead of more photos over time its more photos at the time!

This might be obvious to some but it has really helped my photography,

Robert
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby DJT on Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:12 pm

Robert

I doubt I could afford to use film, actually I know I couldn't afford it.

I very much agree with you, as I have a couple of big kids & a new born and I am finding myself taking up to 6 pics at a time & I'll be happy with 2 out of those 6.
But also I like to see how far I can go with underexposing and over exposing shots too, just to see how they will turn out. I have found on a couple of occasions where the pic in colour hasn't worked but has worked fine as a B&W conversion, probably just to my eyes though.
DJT

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions