Photos From "Pro For A Day"

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Photos From "Pro For A Day"

Postby Greg B on Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:09 pm

This thread is for the participants from the Pro For A Day meet to post shots taken on the day.
(Note - the usual posting limit of four images per thread will not apply to this thread)

Here's one from me

Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Re: Photos From "Pro For A Day"

Postby simonrenton on Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:39 pm

Here's a couple of my favs from the keepers I got from yesterday...

Image Image Image

You can see the rest of my picks on my flickr page here.

C&C appreciated.

Simon
Simon R
Nikon D300, 70-200mm 2.8 VR, 17-55mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4
My Flickr Page
simonrenton

Postby michael_ on Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:47 pm

nice simon, these look great, maybe some fill flash on #2, but i really like #3 maybe a fraction less hair over her right eye or if the hair was seperated a little more, but otherwise great shots, i like this shot especially http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonrento ... 754678455/ wish all the shots exposure was like this, seems spot on on my machine, alot of the others seems underexposed by atleast a stop
michael_

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:35 pm

simon, thanks for sharing! I love the shot by the heater, I wish I made some time to shoot that set myself, as you guys got that Fresnel to dance!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonrenton/2205049470/in/set-72157603754678455/
Oz_Beachside

Postby pucara on Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:45 pm

very nice photos Simon , keep the good job I really enjoy your photos..... :up:
nikon 200- lenses- 18-70 / tamron 90 micro/ tokina 12-24 / sigma 70-200 / nikon 85 1.8 / SB600..
pucara

Postby Jonesy on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:07 pm

Firstly a big thank you to Bruce Wayne (batman?) Dave and Anthony for the Day. It was great to meet everyone and for was certainly worth the 11 or so hrs of traveling to be apart of it! Its often commented on about the great forum we have and the people who make it that way and its confirmed when those people get together for an event to share and have fun!

Thanks once again to everyone that attended.........

ok firstly a setup shot of Bruce's Lighting Studio, with Steve taking a shot of Mel with Bruce supervising... or maybe just holding that black panel
and my shot from that setup
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby Willy wombat on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:12 pm

Nice one of me in action there Jonesy
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby Jonesy on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:16 pm

I have a few on my smugmug site http://imagesbyjonesy.smugmug.com/gallery/4196873#245294928

and heres some more
Available Light
Image Image
Anthony's two lights and a some old equipment setup
Image Image

Any tips on pics and or PP... fire away

Cheers
Jones
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby Willy wombat on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:22 pm

Im spewing I had to go first on that machiney/industrial set up. After you guys go the fill light going on that set you were producing some stunning shots.

A few from my ambient light shoot:

Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
Willy wombat

Postby simonrenton on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Jonesy:
That desaturation on the industrial shot works really well, jonesy. I really like this one too on your smugmug site: http://imagesbyjonesy.smugmug.com/gallery/4196873#245295078.

Willy Wombat:
The B&W treatment is terrific for the ambient lighting. I'll have to give it go on some of mine now! :mrgreen:
Simon R
My Flickr Page
simonrenton

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:39 am

Wow guys awesome stuff, I'm even more disappointed I couldn't make it now it looks like a fantastic day and a great learning experience. Well done to all involved!
Alpha_7

Postby Greg B on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:26 am

An old style PP treatment for this shot of Melissa

Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby kab on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:48 am

G'day All,

Echoing other peoples comments. Big thanks to Wayne, Dave, Anthony, the Models and others who made this day happen. I'd especially like to thank Bruce for once again putting the whole thing together. Lou and I came away very charged and inspired. A complete success!! Lou and I thoroughly enjoyed the day, learnt a lot and met some great people. Hopefully there are more to come. We didn't get as many images as we would have liked as we were too busy listening, learning, setting up some shots, swapping camera's and sometimes modeling.

Here's one we did like. Lou quickly took this image with Melissa:

I'd like to see more of the shots you guys took of Claudia in the strobe studio. We had some pretty dark moody lighting and some of the images you guys took looked great.

Till next time....
Regards
Keith & Lou
kab

Postby Oneputt on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:31 am

Looking at the shots in this thread (and there are some very good ones) I find that the available light ones appeal to me much more than those using the studio lights. Go figure.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby simonrenton on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:45 am

kab wrote:I'd like to see more of the shots you guys took of Claudia in the strobe studio. We had some pretty dark moody lighting and some of the images you guys took looked great.

Here's one I took of Claudia with the SB800. I wasn't happy with this one cause I cut her feet off and it's a little bit hot in the highlights which I couldn't tone down very well with my limited PP skills :(
Simon R
My Flickr Page
simonrenton

Postby Louie on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:28 pm

I love seeing the amazing variety in the final images from the same day - very inspiring! And all so good!
Louie

Postby curilin on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi all,

All the pictures were great. It's really surprise me that using only the available light can produce such a great pictures...
As I have no flash, etc This give me lots of ideas to play with...
and thanks to Lou for your ideas using flashes to create dramatic kind of pictures... :wink: it's turn out great...

sintia :)
curilin

Postby Oz_Beachside on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:34 pm

kab wrote:G'day All,

Echoing other peoples comments. Big thanks to Wayne, Dave, Anthony, the Models and others who made this day happen. I'd especially like to thank Bruce for once again putting the whole thing together. Lou and I came away very charged and inspired. A complete success!! Lou and I thoroughly enjoyed the day, learnt a lot and met some great people. Hopefully there are more to come. We didn't get as many images as we would have liked as we were too busy listening, learning, setting up some shots, swapping camera's and sometimes modeling.

Here's one we did like. Lou quickly took this image with Melissa:

I'd like to see more of the shots you guys took of Claudia in the strobe studio. We had some pretty dark moody lighting and some of the images you guys took looked great.

Till next time....
Regards
Keith & Lou

thanks keith, we'll see you are the following workshops :D

Hi Lou, very nice shot, I remember working this one with you. did you get one with mel's feet in, Melissa would love this shot.
Oz_Beachside

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:52 pm

i've been collecting the images from the day shown so far, but if there are any more out there, can you please PM me your site, or details to post a CD.

please remember that the models donated their time in exchange for some images, so getting your images to me is important to ensure we have similar support in future workshops.

:D
Oz_Beachside

Postby Jonesy on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:10 am

Sorry Bruce totally forgot... I'll get straight onto it. What kind of files are you looking for. web quality super hi res, somewhere in the middle
Jonesy

Postby Oz_Beachside on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:48 pm

Jonesy wrote:Sorry Bruce totally forgot... I'll get straight onto it. What kind of files are you looking for. web quality super hi res, somewhere in the middle

thanks jonesy,
edited jpg, web and print quality sizes would be great.
Oz_Beachside

Postby Greg B on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:00 pm

Likewise here Bruce, apologies, have been interstate this week and other shit happening.

Will attend this weekend.

How do you want them, on a cd, or a rapidshare file?

If a CD, can you PM me an address to send it to please??

I am sending you a PM also on a related issue.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Willy wombat on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:17 pm

Bruce - a few more from the day here. I will organise a CD with high res files. Will also try and catch up with you soon to have a play with lights etc.

Cheers
Steve

Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
Willy wombat

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques