New D70 user - first pics

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

New D70 user - first pics

Postby jonnydee on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:19 pm

Hi,

Just got my D70 today and of course immediately went out into my backyard and started madly shooting! Any feedback is welcome, I know i've got a bit of a problem with focus and DOF, so any tips to improve that would be most welcome. Thank you to the poster of the basic D70 post processing - it's amazing the difference a slight tweak can make!

Full size pics in gallery available at http://jonnydee.smugmug.com/gallery/346066

Cheers,

Jon

jonnydee

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:23 pm

jonnydee,
That's very quick of you, less than 6 hours, you posted few first pics already.
Thanks for sharing.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby jonnydee on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:28 pm

Couldn't wait to get stuck in, i've been shooting and tweaking with photoshop all afternoon! :D
jonnydee

Postby Kristine on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:33 pm

Thanks for sharing; I like the last image the best.

Cheers
Kristine
Kristine

Postby stubbsy on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:35 pm

jonnydee.

Great work. One little niggle (I'm better at being picky than I am at taking photos :) ). The shot up the tree trunk is great. Love everything about it except it's too tight. I'd have liked to have seen the edges of the branches rather than having some of the canopy chopped off.

But then that's just me!

Cheers
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:38 pm

Great start - my favourite is the bell. As Birddog said not bad going for 6 hours with a new camera

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

really quick ...

Postby christiand on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:43 pm

this is not your first camera is it ???
(can't possibly be ???)

I'd like to see more of your photos.

Cheers
CD
christiand

Postby mudder on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:45 pm

G'day Jon,
Firstly nice pics from some interesting angles and viewpoints, I enjoyed 'em...

I see that 13755654 is @ 300mm focal length with a shutter of 3125/1000 (is that 1/3 of a second?) if yep, then that's pretty good to hold the thing steady for that long a shutter! I couldn't get a 1/3 sec exposure that good without VR!!! :shock: My shots for that long a shutter opening would look more like a ghost image!

The shot up the tree was with a large aperture (F3.5) so the DOF will result in some part (either close or far depending on where you focus) being out-of-focus, the bottom the tree (nearest to the cam) appears out-of-focus. Dunno if that's what you were after tho, photography is very much an artform. If you want more from front-to-back in focus, try a smaller aperture (larger apparent number, but they're really fractions I think) like F16... Nice angle and viewpoint though... Really like that one.

The more experienced users will come along and offer some good advice re: exposure, focus, composition and stuff... I couldn't seem to get much exif info...

Thanks for posting :-)

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby jonnydee on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:58 pm

Thanks for looking everyone.

stubbsy: I totally agree with you. Just had a look at the original of the tree and unfortunately even if I adjust the crop, it'll still lead to parts of the tree getting cut off. Luckily it's in my yard, so just need to wait for the shadow up the trunk and re-shoot it :)

mudder: The shutter on that bird photo was 1/320, with the 70-300 maxed out, my hands are no where near steady enough for any slower than that :) Thanks for the detailed feedback on aperture, useful tips there.
jonnydee

Postby pippin88 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:33 pm

Nice.

I find the flower, as in the last image (Iris?), are a great subject.

Image BTW: I'm new here, it's not poor form to post images in others threads is it?
pippin88

Postby Onyx on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:20 pm

I especially like the one shot up the gumtree Jonnydee. One side in light, one side shade, and it's so neat and in the centre. :)

And a welcome to Pippin88. Another OCAUer I see. Well if you guys can make it to the sydney meet on the 8th, I'll look forward to seeing ya there!
Onyx

Postby pippin88 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:32 pm

Onyx wrote:And a welcome to Pippin88. Another OCAUer I see. Well if you guys can make it to the sydney meet on the 8th, I'll look forward to seeing ya there!

Yep, there are a few familiar faces around. Unfortunately, I'm all booked up on the 8th. Would have like to attend, as I'm sure I would have learnt alot. (Though I do need to get a job before I keep looking at glass :( )
pippin88

Postby jonnydee on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:39 pm

Unfortunately i'm booked up on the 8th too - got a stag do, don't think i'll take the D70 to that one! :lol:
jonnydee

Postby meicw on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:45 pm

Hi Jon. Welcome! Enjoyed the pics. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more. Like the one of the tree.

Regards
Meic
meicw

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques