Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race Start

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race Start

Postby Geoff on Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:53 pm

A very different perspective from what Gary got today I'm sure, but here are a few I snapped with the 70-300G...in hindsight I should've used the tripod OR burgled Glen for his 70-200VR lens..hehehe...

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby bago100 on Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:37 pm

Hi Geoff

Good to see you out and about with your camera.

Is your second photo a zoomed crop of the first, or is it an entirely different image, zoomed in with your 70 - 300.

Not a bad photo for handheld though. Good work.

Newby question coming so be patient please :D

Would the 70-200vr give you a closer zoom than the 70-300? I think the answer is that it wouldn't but the image would be sharper (no shake) and therefore would be better when zoomed in photoshop. yes/no?

Thanks for posting

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:55 pm

Ok, a few of my shots are now here. Great day - perfect weather, lots of fun, a bottle of Moet (thanx, Birddog), great company, great location.

It's bloody difficult to shoot on a small boat that's moving in a medium swell. I need to remove salt spray from my camera and 24-120.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bago100 on Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:05 pm

Gary
Lots of good photos there!
Don't know if I would be game to take my D70 out there with all that water and spray.
Did you have your camera covered at all?
Safe travelling tomorrow
Cheers
Graham
bago100

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:08 pm

Graham,

Camera was in the open, but until we hit the heads, there was very little chop or spray. Then the fun began. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:43 am

bago100 wrote:Hi Geoff

Good to see you out and about with your camera.

Is your second photo a zoomed crop of the first, or is it an entirely different image, zoomed in with your 70 - 300.

Not a bad photo for handheld though. Good work.

Newby question coming so be patient please :D

Would the 70-200vr give you a closer zoom than the 70-300? I think the answer is that it wouldn't but the image would be sharper (no shake) and therefore would be better when zoomed in photoshop. yes/no?

Thanks for posting

Cheers

Graham

Hi Graham,
Thanx for the comments....The second photo isn't cropped at all from the 1st photo..it's a completely different image, that's just the lens at full 300mm. I don't think the 70-200 gives you a closer zoom than the 300 (100 less I think, unless I'm sorely mistaken). The image taken on the 200 (VR) wouldn't be as close but MUCH MUCH crisper and clearer. Any of the VR gurus/owners out there please correct me if I'm wrong. It has been a tops day! :)

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Killakoala on Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:43 pm

Nice collection of pics there Gary. It looks like the weather was perfect too.

It's bloody difficult to shoot on a small boat that's moving in a medium swell

Not that bigger boats are that easy either Gary :)

Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:58 pm

bago100 wrote:Would the 70-200vr give you a closer zoom than the 70-300? I think the answer is that it wouldn't but the image would be sharper (no shake) and therefore would be better when zoomed in photoshop. yes/no?

That's right, Graham - the 70-300 G actually has greater reach than the 70-200 VR, as Geoff says. I think the VR lens would have an advantage because of its anti-shake mechanism, especially if you were on a boat. The VR technology provides a setting for shooting from moving vehicles.

From my brief time with the 70-200 VR, I think its greater contrast also might give a "punchier" result than the 70-300.

Modern technology, eh? :)
the foto fanatic

Postby BBJ on Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:59 pm

Nice pics geof and gary, i dont think i would have to worry about the camera going over the side or getting wet, it would me you would have to worry about, i would be the one getting wet or over the side. i would feel so crook i would want to jump in sharks or no sharks lol.
When i was younger i went on a cruise on a ship called the Oriana, i think i spent more time in the pool as was only place i didn't feel sick. LOL
Cheers
John
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques