Bag Experiences

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Bag Experiences

Postby aim54x on Tue May 12, 2009 1:40 pm

I am sure we have all had problems with finding the right bag to fit our kits, so I thought I would start this thread so we can share our experiences with camera bags and what we think about them, so instead of having to ask everytime you are about to buy a bag, you can have a read of this thread to find relevant information or at least an idea of what we all use.

Here is what I have at the moment:

-Vertex 200AW - bloody awesome bag, it fits almost my complete kit but definitely anything that i want to carry when I go out, plastic on zip should be rethought, mine has come off where it sits under the zipper heads path, does not bother me, would definitely buy again if needed (commonly carried with: D300 + MB-D10 + AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8, AF-S 70-200mm VR, Sigma EX DG 180mm f/3.5, Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8, AF-D 50mm f/1.8, SB-800, SB-600, remotes, filters etc (can fit MSI U100 wind, but it really is a tight fit if I am carrying a lot of gear))

-FastPack 250AW - great day to day bag, could be a bit bigger, straps are falling apart, may not replace, may have to rethink and buy something better built (commonly carried with: D300 + 17-50mm f/2.8 (with or without MB-D10, sometimes with 24-70mm instead), Tamron 70-300mm (ditching this lens means I can carry either the 180 or the 70-200VR on camera and the 17-50 off camera), SB-800 or 600 or 400, 50mm f/1.8, cards filters, remote + MSI U100 wind)

-Inverse 200AW - not as big as I thought, very comfy, would buy again if it was a few cms longer, wider and deeper, not sure about durability, I dont like using it in shoulder bag mode, the strap attachment points look very strained when used purely as a shoulder bag (commonly carried with: D300 + 17-50, 70-300 or 180mm, SB-800 or 600 (or 400 if I am carrying 50mm), cards, filters, remote)
Last edited by aim54x on Tue May 12, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Re: Bag experiences

Postby barry on Tue May 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Cameron, I think what you are saying and what has become apparent to me is that you need different bags for different ocassions.

Iam currently looking at bags and have concluded that I need two different types. A shoulder type bag such as a Lowepro Magnum AW for weddings and a backpack type bag, such as a Lowepro Photo Trekker for my motorsport.

I also have two Lowepro Topload bags for when I want to travel light.
D700, 50 1.8, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR, 80-400VR, SB800 plus a lot of gadgets
barry

Postby biggerry on Tue May 12, 2009 3:10 pm

different bags for different ocassions.

unfortunately correct...

heres my man bag setup :? ;

- Flipside 400AW - Great bag, doubles as a day-pack and camera bag, enough room for me to take camera, a few accessories and 2-3 lens on a hike. Even the tripod holder is not too shabby, with the tripod upside down (head towards the ground) and strapped in nice and tight it is ok for medium day walks. Also used as a dedicated camera bag, fits all my lens and camera :roll:. Typically tho, it holds D80, 17-55 f2.8 w/ hood, 55mm f2.8 macro, 100-300mm f5.6, a couple of filters and misc accessories in the front pocket, oh and also lunch.

(it also carried a six pack into Freycient National Park in tassie during an overnighter)

I really like the flipside since it can be swiveled around on ur hip and camera/lens accessed without taking the whole thing off. The access also prevents unauthorised access from nearby persons, even those ya know :cough: :wink:

- Crumpler 5 Million dollar home (I think thats what it is called) This is a great little shoulder bag for carrying just the camera and single lens, I typically use it with the D80 and 17-55, was originally bought for use with the D80 and the 18-200mm nikon, this combo had quite alot of room and worked very well.

I am looking at another shoulder bag, similar to the crumpler ones to hold camera +lens and one additional lens, quite possibly the 7 million dollar.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Tue May 12, 2009 4:04 pm

barry wrote:Cameron, I think what you are saying and what has become apparent to me is that you need different bags for different ocassions.

Yes I agree, the concept of a bag for everything is very inaccurate when you have a range of gear (and having a bag to store the excess in at home is good as well).

Iam currently looking at bags and have concluded that I need two different types. A shoulder type bag such as a Lowepro Magnum AW for weddings and a backpack type bag, such as a Lowepro Photo Trekker for my motorsport.

I also have two Lowepro Topload bags for when I want to travel light.

I have thought about a Magnum/Commercial for event work but have been afraid of the size/cost hence I bought the Inverse, thinking I may be able to get the 70-200 in there by some miracle so I may need an LC5 to solve my problem.

What do you normally carry in your Magnum and PhotoTrekker???
Cameron
aim54x

Re: Bag Experiences

Postby barry on Tue May 12, 2009 4:36 pm

Cameron, at the moment I only have an old shoulder type bag which I want to update to the Magnum or something similar. I find the shoulder bag handy at weddings as you have easy access to your gear while on the move. A backpack in this situation doesn't work.

On the other hand when at the race track I find it easier to carry everything on my back (more comfortable) and it allows you to become more hands free, especially when taking shots around the pit area. The backpack also gives you somewhere to put the monopod when not in use, something you can't easily do with a shoulder bag.
D700, 50 1.8, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR, 80-400VR, SB800 plus a lot of gadgets
barry

Postby surenj on Tue May 12, 2009 7:20 pm

I have had a bad experience with the Lowepro Slingshot 200. Although it's great for access it can cause a bit of backache because it sits on one shoulder only. I returned it after using for one day.
surenj

Postby hark40 on Tue May 12, 2009 11:12 pm

I agree in that you need different bags depending upon what gear you take and what you are planning on doing. So what may work for one person may not work for another. What will work for one situation may not work in another.

Lowepro Nova 3: First camera bag I purchased a few years ago (2001) and Lowepro have tweaked the design a number of times since then. Often use it without the shoulder strap to carry a basic kit around with me in the car, when going to visit family/friends, travel or when I am going to a shoot where I know I can put it down and not be going far from it. Often carried in it the 350D with battery pack/grip, 70-300 IS, 28-135IS, Sigma 10-20 and often a fourth lens, but its a tight fit when hoods are mounted on the lenses. Could also squeeze in the 430EX flash as well in a pinch. Front pocket holds CF cards, and other misc stuff. However, I am finding that the bag is a little too small as the 24-105L I have now is larger in diameter than the 28-135 which it has effectively replaced in my kit.

Lowepro Nova 5: Second bag I purchased (2003). A lot larger than the Nova 3 and that is the problem with it. Can fit a lot of gear into it, but I find that loaded up it is too heavy on the shoulders for long periods, and the bag tends to sag with the weight. It does not go out much nowadays, but it literally could carry all my gear at the time. Used it in my film days where I had a long lens (physically that is) which would not fit in the Nova 3, so I went and got the Nova 5 but it was actually too big even then.

Lowepro Mini Trekker Classic: Backpack bag that has proven very useful (purchased 2005). Great to carry things around in and useful when you have to keep equipment close to you on shoots (airshows or where you are walking around and not in one place or travelling.) Being a backpack it helps the shoulders when carrying for a long time and keeps the hands free. Often have the 350D with battery pack/grip, a variety of lenses (70-300IS, 24-105L or 28-135IS, Sigma 10-20mm, 20mm, plus sometimes another small lens, hoods are no problems on the lenses either), CF cards fit in a nice pocket on the inside, some filters, extra batteries, sometimes even another body (300X with battery pack/grip). It has a couple of pockets on the outside which can be used to store other stuff (sun screen, bug repellent, rain poncho, a light jacket can be stuff into them, even a photo storage dowhacky as well.) Only problem is you have to take if off you back to access the contents which is a problem with all backpacks like this so frequent lens changes prove difficult. Good thing about it is that has a couple of side straps that will stop the lid flopping completely open letting everything fall out (this is actually a nice feature of the Lowepro bags.) Also on the sides are a couple of loops that you can attach things to. Got a mesh bottle holder on one side to carry a water bottle or drink when wondering around. Just be careful when putting on the ground to access the contents as you could end up with a dirty back as a result - but this is the same with any backpack.

Although the Nova 3 has served as my main utility bag for many years, I may have to look at the Nova 4 (or the equivalent now)

Mark P.
Canon 60D, 50 1.8, 24-105L IS, 100-400L IS, Sigma 10-20mm etc
I'd put something witty here, but I just can't think of anything....
hark40

Postby lukipelaa on Tue May 12, 2009 11:16 pm

just saw this and was wondering can any of you make a recommendation?

i need a bag for travel (putting everything together)

and something to carry around when walking.

my kit consists of a D80, sb600, tamron 17-50mm f2.8, tokina 11-16mm, tamron 18-270mm as well as a dell mini. and a tripod.

well my lenses will be sure to grow so hopefully the bag will have a few more slots.

thanks in advanced!
lukipelaa

Postby aim54x on Wed May 13, 2009 12:36 am

lukipelaa wrote:just saw this and was wondering can any of you make a recommendation?

this would be a good place to ask (and read once more people add their experiences here)

i need a bag for travel (putting everything together) and something to carry around when walking. my kit consists of a D80, sb600, tamron 17-50mm f2.8, tokina 11-16mm, tamron 18-270mm as well as a dell mini. and a tripod.

well my lenses will be sure to grow so hopefully the bag will have a few more slots.

Nice kit, since you are not carrying a lot you may be able to get it all into one of the bigger Fastpack series (250, 350) quite comfortably and it becomes a bag to walk around with, with a top compartment that can hold personal items and a quick access side door so you can get you gear out quickly. This means you can buy one bag to fit both purposes and deal with that bigger bag when you need it (and have saved more money, maybe). If the tripod is small enough it may even fit under the front flap of the Fastpack.

If you are thinking about that bigger bag, then I would consider a MiniTrekker/CompuTrekker (these seem to be very popular) or a Vertex (I love mine). Or if you wanted a shoulder bag have a look at the Commercial/Magnum/Compact AW series (professional), Stealth Reporter Series (professional) and the Nova Series (more consumer - with a cheaper price to match).
Cameron
aim54x

Postby lukipelaa on Wed May 13, 2009 2:03 am

digitalrev is selling the fastpack 250 for 125aud. would u recommend it? im using the Velbon Sherpa 450R.
lukipelaa

Postby aim54x on Wed May 13, 2009 2:30 am

lukipelaa wrote:digitalrev is selling the fastpack 250 for 125aud. would u recommend it? im using the Velbon Sherpa 450R.

I would have no problems recommending that bag BUT mine is just about to be sent back to Lowepro for repair/replacement as my straps are fraying due to the material coming out from underneath the piping. The 450R will not fit under the flap (it will stick out way too much on either side to be workable). BUT I have found this bag very good to use and it will easily accomodate your kit.

One lens on camera, two lenses in the bottom slots, one in the centre slot and your flash in one of the top slots.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby lukipelaa on Wed May 13, 2009 2:51 am

mmm ok then. what other bags would YOU go for? since u said my tripod would stick out like a sore thumb?
lukipelaa

Postby Grev on Wed May 13, 2009 9:11 am

Oh crap, I must be a bag whore, since I have...
- Magnum AW
- Stealth reporter 650AW
- Vertex 300 AW
- 7 million dollar home
- small backup from bagman

Will post reviews later I guess.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby aim54x on Wed May 13, 2009 10:59 am

lukipelaa wrote:mmm ok then. what other bags would YOU go for? since u said my tripod would stick out like a sore thumb?

I would say go the Fastpack 250 and then carry the tripod seperately, for a tripod that size you are always going to have a bit of trouble carrying it. The Flipside 400AW that BigGerry has is another option due to its centreline tripod holder and strap, but you will lose the big top compartment for personal items and the quick access.

Alas, the ideal bag never exists.

I would go a backpack rather than a sidebag though.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby photoaffinity on Wed May 13, 2009 10:30 pm

aaah bags... i have such a thing for a well packed bag :P

even with all of the below, i really want to get a crumpler 7 million dollar home, it's just the right size and doesn't look too camera-ish. it will hold a body, 70-200 and grip attached, as well as heaps of other stuff. maybe one day :D

anyway, here's what i use and what i use it for:

1) Canon 'big red' bonus crumpler bag
This is used for carrying my 5d II plus one of the following combinations:
    >50mm 1.8 with the battery grip attached, a deck of cards, my moleskine and a couple of other small things.
    >24-105 F4 IS L and no battery grip, not much else.

2) Lowepro Primus AW
Great backpack, I use it pretty much all the time. it carries the 5d II body with grip and a big lens attached, as well as a 50mm 1.8 and a 15mm 2.8, and a bunch of other gear like a cleaning bulb etc. (the side entry is very tight with the grip).With all this in the bottom the top is free to hold whatever, a couple of flashes, wireless trigger, clamps, a picnic.. there's heaps of room.

I use this bag to take my camera to work each day, and still carry my stuff in the top pocket. just looks like a normal backpack. When shooting somewhere a bit away from the car park i usually use this bag too and load it up with camera gear and use the reflector holder to hold a reflector and the tripod to hold lighting stands. i hang a beauty dish off one of the loops.

3) Lowepro Nova 2 AW
About the same size as the crumpler, looks exactly like a camera bag, has the added bonus of a waterproof cover, so i use this if it looks like rain and only need to take a body and one lens.

4) Desley XEO t300 roller case
This bag carries just about everything i could ever possibly want on a shoot, it doubles as a nice suitcase too if i take out the interior section. i use this bag for storing my most commonly used gear, and will be using it for events such as weddings in comination with a shoulder bag. - it's only new, got it at the auction the other day, so i haven't had a chance to put it through the mill yet.

5) Crazy custom made road/rental case for a modular movie camera system.
(looks a little like this but silver and red)
I use this to carry my mono lighting kit, as well as odds and ends like gaffa tape and clamps. it weighs about 10kg, so it doesnt leave the house much. this thing is designed for carrying a movie camera (think RED) and branded Birns and Sawyer. i picked it up for $15 at a garage sale :D
photoaffinity

Postby biggerry on Wed May 13, 2009 11:03 pm

Just in case you have not seen this webbie yet, it is pretty neat for tracking down bags and what will fit etc, great user reviews too...

http://www.cambags.com/

Oh crap, I must be a bag whore, since I have...

aaah bags... i have such a thing for a well packed bag

yes...yes you are both bag whores....more man bags than the sydney mardigras :up:
biggerry

Postby photoaffinity on Thu May 14, 2009 9:52 am

photoaffinity wrote: by biggerry on Wed May 13, 2009 11:03 pm
Just in case you have not seen this webbie yet, it is pretty neat for tracking down bags and what will fit etc, great user reviews too...

http://www.cambags.com/

wow, that's a great site... i can see myself spending hours there looking at all the different bags :biglaugh:
photoaffinity

Postby kab on Thu May 14, 2009 11:45 am

I know it's been mentioned, but for those on the fence about the crumplet 7 million dollar bag....don't be....just get one.

I reckon they're sensaish!! I've got a computrekker backpack, but that stays at home most of the time. The crumpler doesn't necessarily look like a camera bag, is very configurable, holds a bunch of gear, is comfortable and provides easy access. Hmm, should be paid buy them. Only potential drawbacks I see, are weather sealing.....These are more of an urban bag, not advisable for very dusty or rainy conditions

I carry:
- D300 + grip
- 28-70/2.8
- 80-200/2.8
- 10-20mm
- sb800
- filters, remote + misc stuff
kab

Postby Grev on Fri May 15, 2009 12:38 am

Ok now onto how I store my stuff...

- 7 million dollar home: This is my most used bag, easy to carry and can carry a good amount of stuff, have had this bag for ages and works really well, I can store my D700 with battery grip plus a prime; then another SLR; 2 more primes and a flash; then my foldable umbrella and little light stand and would all fight, although it might be a bit too heavy.

- Lowepro Magnum AW: One of my favourite bag, can hold alot of stuff, plus light stands at the bottom, very versatile, but then again, with it full of stuff can be VERY heavy and cumbersome, especially with light stands at the bottom.

- Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650 AW: My bag for carrying all my accessories, umbrellas, lightstands, radio triggers, flashes, light modifiers etc, this bag is different from a normal camera bag because it is long and deep, so can support things that other bags can't, also it can hold a 15.5" laptop, but I use that compartment to hold cardboards (to be shaped to modifiers if needed).

- Lowepro Vertex 300 AW: Just got this one, very useful bag with lots of compartments, have yet to use it but would be very useful as it can store all types and shapes of gear. And on the outside it holds 3 lightstands too.

- Lowepro waist belt and various sliplock bags: If I need to put things around me, I would put this on and put little things inside, comfortable to wear.

Will post more when I can think of them...

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby AJ4WD on Fri May 15, 2009 12:53 pm

Ive ended up with three bags (all Lowepro) to meet my needs.

Computrecker Plus for the 5D, lenses, cables, flash and all the other crap.

Flipside300 takes the 1D with 150-500 attached plus spare batt and charger.

MicroTrecker200 for the 5d and a couple of lenses when I want to travel light.

I find this gives me plenty of flexibility and worst case Im taking 2 bags. 8)
Andrew-Whyalla,SouthOz-Canon 1D,5D, 7D & D2000
Canon:70-200F4L, 24-70F2.8L, 50F1.4 Sigma:150-500, 150F2.8 Macro, 12-24mm
http://www.touring4x4.com
AJ4WD

Postby aim54x on Fri May 15, 2009 1:09 pm

That computrekker Plus will take both cameras!!!! Love the Op-Tech straps!!!!
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Sillumjai on Wed May 27, 2009 3:01 am

I use the Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home.

Its quite comfy for a side bag, and doesn't stand out. Easily fits a Nikon d80 and 3 lenses, plus a flash. PLus, they come in different colours and sizes too.
Nikon D300 - 28mm 2.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 180mm 2.8

ttp://www.flickr.com/photos/sillumjai/
Sillumjai

Postby ATJ on Wed May 27, 2009 1:18 pm

I have a Delsey Gopix 90 Backpack which I find to be very handy.

In it I normally carry:
* Nikon D300
* Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D
* Nikkor 200mm f/2.8D
* Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II
* Tokina AT-X 124 PRO DX 12-24mm f/4
* Nikon PK-13 extension tube
* Kenko extension tubes
* Nikon SB800
* Nikon SC-17 sync cable
* Nikon AS-E900 sync cable
* 3 soft boxes (2 are collapsible)
* Spare EN-EL3e
* 3 sets of 4 AA rechargeable batteries
* Spare CompactFlash cards

It is not light but I had no trouble carrying this on the last DSLRUsers harbour walk.

I have also used it for travelling (dive trips mostly) where I ditch some of the camera gear (soft boxes and a few other things) and add a laptop computer plus some other electrical appliances.
ATJ

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed May 27, 2009 5:57 pm

I have joined the throng with a 7,000,000 Home. So far I like it. Holds all I need & well organised.

FWIW, Crumpler are bringing out an 8,000,000 home in the not too distant future. Don't know the details, but it should be interesting for those who find the 7 too small.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Sillumjai on Thu May 28, 2009 3:18 am

The 8 mill home should be good, gives me an excuse to add to the lens collection to fill up the extra space.
Nikon D300 - 28mm 2.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 180mm 2.8

ttp://www.flickr.com/photos/sillumjai/
Sillumjai

Postby Grev on Sat May 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:I have joined the throng with a 7,000,000 Home. So far I like it. Holds all I need & well organised.

FWIW, Crumpler are bringing out an 8,000,000 home in the not too distant future. Don't know the details, but it should be interesting for those who find the 7 too small.

I find the 7 million dollar home to be enough to not bother you while walking with it, anything bigger than that (eg 8 million dollar home) would bother me, I think.

Mine stands out pretty well, purple with orange inlay. I've carrying a body with 2 lenses and 2 flashes and a little light stand, foldable umbrella too.

Grev

Postby tntman on Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:26 pm

I'm torn between a Kata HB-207 or a Lowepro Vertex 300.

The Kata is slightly more expensive than the Lowepro.

Do you ladies and gents have any opinions between the 2???

Which is better built??? Which bag is more versatile? Which one is lighter?
Current Gear - 1D MKIII body, 5D MKII body, 17-40mm F4 L, Canon 70-200 IS F2.8, Sigma 120-400 OC HSM, 580EXII, 430EX II, 430EX. Panasonic G1 twin lens kit (My fav digicam!)
tntman

Postby aim54x on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:33 am

[quote="tntman]Which is better built??? Which bag is more versatile? Which one is lighter?[/quote]

According to the respective websites:
http://www.kata-bags.com/Product.asp?Version=Photo&p_Id=273
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Vertex-300%20AW,2074.htm

The Kata is lighter, and drawing on my experience with the Vertex 200 I would hazard to say the Kata will be more comfortable with a laptop. Build wise I would say it would be pretty even. But in terms of ferrying glass around the Vertex will be more versatile due to its 'box' shape.

Hope this helps
Cameron
aim54x

Postby scoobydoo on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:48 am

Crumpler 7 Million - This is probably the bag I use the most. Its more for my carry around bag. I made sure when I tested this at the crumpler store that it would fit my D80 + 14-24mm + SB-600 + 50mm. Now its a slightly tighter fit with the D300.

Lowepro Nova AW - I brought this along when I went around holidaying in Japan. I found it comfortable even with a tripod strapped to the back. I liked the spacious compartment at the top that I could keep accessories other than camera accessories. It will fit a small my Eee PC in there too. Probably the most feature I liked about the backpack is the quick zipper on the side for easy access to my camera. Again I found it a slight tighter fit with my D300 + 14-24 attached.

And all sorts of smaller camera pouches - I outgrew all of them, except for one which I'd occasionally bring my D80 + 50mm to the restaurant. Its one of the no-brand name ones.
scoobydoo

Postby tntman on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 am

aim54x wrote:[

Many thanks for your comments! It's hard to decide on a bag, especially a bag that costs $300+! Though it is a small price to pay to protect the valuable equipment we use!
Current Gear - 1D MKIII body, 5D MKII body, 17-40mm F4 L, Canon 70-200 IS F2.8, Sigma 120-400 OC HSM, 580EXII, 430EX II, 430EX. Panasonic G1 twin lens kit (My fav digicam!)
tntman

Postby losfp on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:11 pm

I've figured out that there is basically no one solution that will work great in all situations.

I use mostly Think Tank gear. The Lowepros have just a bit too much padding for me.

If I need to transport gear, I use the Think Tank Airport Antidote, which is their small backpack. It's low on style but high on functionality - has a handle on the top, side and bottom, it's deep enough to fit a pro-sized DSLR standing up, and it's quite boxy in shape, so it's the same depth/thickness everywhere. Plenty of padded dividers, has a rain cover, and plenty of well placed pockets for memory card wallets, notebooks, papers, passports etc. It comes with a laptop case that slides into a pocket in the front. You can leave the laptop case at home should you not require it, which cuts down on bulk and weight.

If I need a smaller bag that's easy to shoot out of, I use one of their Urban Disguise shoulder bags. I think the UD30? The middle one - any bigger and the weight is just too much for one shoulder.

If I'm actively shooting though, I strap on their modular belt system with pouches. The weight sits on my hips so isn't a strain on the shoulders, and the bags rotate around so I can get them out of the way. Depending on what I am carrying, I normally have the Lightning Fast flash pouch, the Whip It Out pouch for my 70-200VR and the Speed Changer pouch for odds and sods (memory cards, batteries, filters, teleconverters).

When I travel, I usually have all my modular pouches stuffed inside my backpack (with all the padded dividers removed) :) One to get it there, the other to use.

I also have a photo vest from the Vested Interest. Great comfort and accessibility, but you do look like a commando loaded down with gear :)
losfp

Postby gummi on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:08 am

losfp wrote:I've figured out that there is basically no one solution that will work great in all situations.

Totally agree, just picked up the Vertex 300 today and whilst it will fit all my gear with room to grow, I realise its just way too big to bring everywhere, esp like a b'day party in a restaurant etc. I'll just have to keep the micro-trekker and be selective with lenses and accessories for the occasion. The Crumpler bags are looking VERY attractive atm though, it would be great for my g/f especially.

losfp wrote: I also have a photo vest from the Vested Interest. Great comfort and accessibility, but you do look like a commando loaded down with gear :)

I've thought of using a fishing vest for this, it seems alot cheaper and enough pockets for accessories. Pity There aren't many pockets that can fit a decent lens and yet be comfortable at the same time. I couldn't find an Australian site for the Vested Interest vests Des, did you just get it from the US site?
Val
Nikon D300
gummi

Postby lukipelaa on Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:00 pm

just got the 7 million dollar home and the fastpack 350. 1 for walking around and 1 for my travels with my laptop. i must say the only thing i have a problem is the 7 million dollar does strain your shoulder after a few hours since i put a dell mini in as well. but overall i would recommend both without any problems!
lukipelaa

Postby mikecarlotto on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:27 pm

Yep big tick to Crumpler to go along with everyone else's comments.

If anything they are just a touch more expensive than LowePro but I feel they are worth it.
Shooting with Canon 450D + BG-E5 + 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelcarlotto
mikecarlotto

Postby biggerry on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:41 pm

I have joined the throng with a 7,000,000 Home. So far I like it. Holds all I need & well organised.

me too, pricey old bag but worth it imo - the main reason for getting this was for a bag that was intermediate between my little crumpler which holds D80+ 17-55 and the backpack.

I was surprised with the 7 million, I expected that with it loaded up it would be alot heavier and harder on the shoulders, especially being a single shoulder number, but to the contrary I carried heaps of junk all night at the vivid sydney meet and had no issues with the weight. Also it is quite comfortable to carry provided you get the strap the right length and the bad in the right position.

Also with all my bags I like the option of carrying my camera + lunch and the 7 million does this nicely too! thumbs up for the ladies in the Newtown Crumpler store who are very helpful. :up:

It is not light but I had no trouble carrying this on the last DSLRUsers harbour walk.

I have also used it for travelling (dive trips mostly) where I ditch some of the camera gear (soft boxes and a few other things) and add a laptop computer plus some other electrical appliances.

wheres the kitchen sink? :wink:

where did you get the bag from? mail order or is there a local stockist? I notice on the webbie there is only 1 stockist listed.
biggerry

Return to Equipment Reviews