Anyone used a Kata 3 in 1 Sling Backpack?

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Anyone used a Kata 3 in 1 Sling Backpack?

Postby carla_d on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:01 pm

Has anyone used one of these? They're fairly new and google can't find any online reviews for me. I wondered if anyone here had any experience with one...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562235-REG/Kata_KT_D_3N1_30_3_in_1_Sling.html
carla_d

Re: Anyone used a Kata 3 in 1 Sling Backpack?

Postby photohiker on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:14 pm

Bag looks good, solves the issues the Lowe version has on longer walks with it's double shoulder straps.

girls gone geek video review

Don't think it's available in Aus yet?

Michael
photohiker

Postby carla_d on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:28 am

thanks Michael - i'm in Turkey at the moment, where youtube is banned (annoyingly). but i found it here too: http://www.vimeo.com/1167081?pg=embed&sec=1167081

very helpful, especially as i was keen to work out how bulky the large version vs the medium version is.

cheers :)
carla_d

Postby photohiker on Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:38 am

You're welcome :)

I'd be interested to see if a waterproof shell would fit in the top section of them.

Not sure if I could live without a hip belt though.

Michael
photohiker

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:35 pm

I have played with one in a shop. It looks good, great concept, it will let you quick access your camera from either RHS or LHS so long as you have it configured correctly. I dont like the shape and think the straps are too thin, so not for me, but if you have a light kit, it will be pretty good.

I prefer my Lowepro Fastpack 250 though.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby NeoTiger on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:12 pm

I had a look at one of these in the shop recently, looks like a really nice bag. Quite expensive though. Looks more stylish than the Lowepro Fastpack series...

The 3N1-10 is slightly larger than the Fastpack 100. The larger bags probably won't be very convenient to swing around to your front if you do it often.
NeoTiger

Postby DaveB on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Quite a few people had these on my Antarctic trip. Some thought they were OK, but for example one of my friends was very unhappy with his. He had the 3N1-30.

... the zipper system of the opening, and the design/construction/materials meant that it was VERY difficult to get in and out of with any kind of hand-wear [...] the big clasp closure would close the top flap by a corner, but the flimsy material meant that lenses could still tumble out of the bag when it turned on it's side - which my 70-200 f/2.8 IS discovered on landing number 1 [...] unless you zipped the top enclosure all the way to one side or the other (ie, if you secured the zippers in the middle), the top enclosure would work itself open [...] 300 f/2.8 almost came out twice [...] Very disapointing AND scary!

The 3N1-10 is the same basic design, just smaller. If you don't put important things in the top compartment you might be happy with it, but be aware of the risks.

I considered getting a 3N1 to take to Antarctica, but in the end I stuck with my LowePro SlingShot 300AW and was very happy with it. It's not a bag I would want to wear for a day's hiking (the 3N1 has the ability to use a 2nd strap so it's not always a sling) but it (the SlingShot) is my general-purpose "run-around" bag.
DaveB

Postby NeoTiger on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:05 pm

I've just purchased the Kata 3N1-10, so if you have any specific questions you can ask.

I'll think about doing a mini-review of the bag later on.
NeoTiger

Postby ian.bertram on Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:46 pm

I have a Kata 3n1 which has put my Lowepro computraveler back in the cupboard. I have a Canon 40d 4 lenses, a flash and a remote and other cables etc etc. I would make the following comments.

1. As a sling bag when you are on-site it works brilliantly. The side opening bag works really well so you have no risk of dropping gear, knocking stuff over etc.
2. When traveling long distances the sling gets a little heavy on one shoulder and I usually switch to the two straps. In fact I tend to have the second strap hanging loose a lot of the time so I can hook it up straight away when I don't want the sling capability. When using the bag with both straps there is a slight tendancy for the straps to dig in around the hips where the clips are. There are sliding cushions on the straps and I use those to move the pressure pints around a bit.
3. It doesn't have a tripod holder which is annoying, especially when you don't use the back of the bag for access and the tripod would not need to be disturbed to get at your gear. There is a d ring on the back which you could use to hook up some sort of system for holding one but this is a disadvantage.
4. The top pocket is brilliant and the amount of gear you can store is impressive. I use the underside area for gear that I don't need much like my flash remote. Once you get used to where you have put everything then the bag works really well.
5. There's nowhere to put a laptop which is a pity but I guess it would have made the bag very big. It is a bit of an issue for me though as I am going overseas in October and really want to take this bag but also want to take my laptop.

In conclusion- the best bag I have had- a few drawbacks but overall I'm really happy.
ian.bertram

Return to Equipment Reviews