Photoshop Lightroom presentation

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Photoshop Lightroom presentation

Postby Sheila Smart on Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:12 pm

Adobe is holding a seminar at the Exhibition Centre at Darling Harbour (plus various other venues in Oz and NZ) on their new Lightroom software. I have been interested in this for awhile and was delighted to find that they are holding this seminar. Here is the link. You will need to register to gain entry.

http://events.adobe.co.uk/events/cgi/ev ... entid=4457

Its free by the way.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D and various Ls
Black and White Spider Award 2005 - Photographer of the Year - amateur
On-line Gallery here
Sheila Smart

Postby DaveB on Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:52 pm

DaveB

Postby Alpha_7 on Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:04 pm

Hey Shelia, Long time no see, how have you and the hubby been ? Miss seeing your posts around the place, hope your still out there shooting!
Alpha_7

Postby Sheila Smart on Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:16 pm

Nice to see you in the flesh, Craig! The seminar on Lightroom was excellent and I think that I will certainly use it a lot more than I do PSCS2. It won't be released until towards the end of Feb. I didn't hang around for the second part (on CS3) as my head was spinning!

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D and various Ls
Black and White Spider Award 2005 - Photographer of the Year - amateur
On-line Gallery here
Sheila Smart

Postby Yi-P on Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:06 pm

What I noticed is that during the show, the maximum number of photos the presenter ever loaded was about 25-30 on display and 3-6 on the loadings...

He has yet to show the performance and speed of the software when working in conjuction of hundreds of images together.

Tho, afterall, I really like the new controls, specially the B&W conversions with much flexible control :)
Yi-P

Postby Laurie on Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:41 pm

this is a little off topic but still relates to Lightroom.
I don't like how photos are cropped, where the photo stays and the crop lines move. it is especially frustrating when my laptop responds so slowly and i end up cropping too much, and then my mouse unclicks (without me unclicking) and then starts rotating the photo.

just a small rant
i would definitely go along to the Lightroom seminar, though i don't think my boss would allow it :(
Laurie

Postby DaveB on Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:05 pm

Yi-P wrote:What I noticed is that during the show, the maximum number of photos the presenter ever loaded was about 25-30 on display and 3-6 on the loadings...

He has yet to show the performance and speed of the software when working in conjuction of hundreds of images together.

On my machine I have no fear of libraries with thousands of images. I must admit that LR 1.0 has slowed down significantly once I've loaded up 55,000 images (all on a fileserver connected by 100 Mbps ethernet, which doesn't help) although it's still usable. That many images on Firewire-connected storage is faster (although with that many images the RAM footprint of LR is still fairly large) but in this setup I'm splitting my library into smaller chunks, each with maybe less than 10,000 images. It's easy to have multiple libraries (although you can only have one open at a time).

This is one of the areas where iView MediaPro is still better: handling large libraries (although it has its own performance issues when dealing with networked files). And thus like a few people I'm integrating LR into my existing MediaPro strategies and waiting to see what develops in LR's DAM functionality in the future. BTW, this is on a 1.3GHz G4 Mac with 1.25GB RAM. I'm planning upgrades to my hardware in the coming year that will improve the CPU, RAM, and network throughput which will improve lots of things including LR.

Laurie, are you going from experience with a public beta on a Windows machine? I think you'll be much happier with the performance of 1.0.
DaveB

Postby Laurie on Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:23 pm

DaveB wrote:Laurie, are you going from experience with a public beta on a Windows machine? I think you'll be much happier with the performance of 1.0.

I'm using a powerbook 1.25GHz 750MB RAM through external KVM
With Lightroom 4 beta
Laurie

Postby DaveB on Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:56 pm

Laurie wrote:I'm using a powerbook 1.25GHz 750MB RAM through external KVM
With Lightroom 4 beta

Not dissimilar from my hardware: LR 1.0 is snappier than Beta4.

But how do you find your machine holds up with today's software with only 768MB?
LR should run in that fine, but once your libraries grow the memory footprint can increase, and it's generally useful to be able to run other stuff at the same time. For example, after Safari's been running for a while I find its memory footprint can be a bit big (not sure if it's a memory leak per se) and Mail/iTunes/NewsFire/Photoshop/InDesign all take up space as well. I've been finding my machine's 1.25GB limiting, and that's been since before I started using LR. ;)
At least your machine can go up to 2GB: for about AU$170 (minus the money you might get by selling your 256MB DIMM) you could double your RAM, and that would probably speed up everything (including LR Beta4).
DaveB

Postby jdear on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:42 pm

hey sheila, it was a great seminar!
I think the host - Phillip was from totaltraining - totaltraining.com. PS CS3 looked amazing! you should see Smart filters in action! Non-destructive filtering!

CS2 tips were great - learnt some cool stuff with smart objects and non-destructive layer adjustments!

LR was awesome, and I was already going to buy it from my experience with the beta. It will be great for my wife to use, and I can delve into ACR4 if I need more control. PS CS3 is available for beta download, but only last 2-3 days unless you have a valid CS2 Serial #.

who from DSLRusers went in the end?

J
jdear

Postby Yi-P on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:18 pm

I was there :) But couldnt recognise any faces :(
Yi-P

Postby Laurie on Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:34 pm

DaveB wrote:
Laurie wrote:I'm using a powerbook 1.25GHz 750MB RAM through external KVM
With Lightroom 4 beta

Not dissimilar from my hardware: LR 1.0 is snappier than Beta4.

But how do you find your machine holds up with today's software with only 768MB?
LR should run in that fine, but once your libraries grow the memory footprint can increase, and it's generally useful to be able to run other stuff at the same time. For example, after Safari's been running for a while I find its memory footprint can be a bit big (not sure if it's a memory leak per se) and Mail/iTunes/NewsFire/Photoshop/InDesign all take up space as well. I've been finding my machine's 1.25GB limiting, and that's been since before I started using LR. ;)
At least your machine can go up to 2GB: for about AU$170 (minus the money you might get by selling your 256MB DIMM) you could double your RAM, and that would probably speed up everything (including LR Beta4).

I made a mistake
it is 1.5GHz with 1.25GB DDR SDRAM!
even better
i might check out lightroom 1.0.
i generally don't run it with much in the background. sometimes with Firefox, and Thunderbird, usually have nothing else open to save on memory.
if i edit photos ive started editing them on my mac instead of transferring them to a pc to use Photoshop CS2! i now use photoshop CS2 on my mac. sometimes leave this open.
my library's are very small. infact once i have finished processing them i move them to my work PC as a back up. when i get 4GB of photos i burn them to DVD
i intend to keep them on a hdd once i get a new PC so will have a much larger library.
for now, my library is usually less than 4GB
Laurie

Postby Alpha_7 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Sheila Smart wrote:Nice to see you in the flesh, Craig! The seminar on Lightroom was excellent and I think that I will certainly use it a lot more than I do PSCS2. It won't be released until towards the end of Feb. I didn't hang around for the second part (on CS3) as my head was spinning!
Cheers
Sheila

It was great to bump into you too Shelia, it's close to a year since I've seen you last. Glad you found the seminar informative.. can't wait to see some more of your pics, perhaps the Monk with the icecream ?
Alpha_7

Postby mikephotog on Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:25 pm

Just registered for the Melbourne one on Thurs. I'll be the guy in a suit (light grey)
mikephotog

Return to Events