Melbourne Portrait Workshop and Calder Park drive day shoot?

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Melbourne Portrait Workshop and Calder Park drive day shoot?

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:21 pm

Following the success of the Sydney workshop, I have had an offer of a venue for a similar Melbourne event.

The venue is a small studio, with a particular style of lighting setup that will work very nicely for what we did in Sydney, and it also has a background setup, so it's a perfect venue for what we need.

So ... we need to determine if there's enough interest to make this happen. I'd be wanting between 6 and 10 participants, and I'd be very surpprised if we were unable to garner that sort of interest.

Logistical issues that need to be sorted are that we need to have a couple of models. If we can get two who were as good as Dee and Jacinta, we would really be cooking.

I could ask each of them if they were willing to make a trip to Melbourne for this, but if so, we would need to cover all of their expenses for the trip. I don't know if that's viable or acceptable to anyone, but I thought I would raise the question here and see what sort of responses it generates.

Alternatively, we could try to get some local people as models. I'm comfortable either way, but this would be your event, and I'll be guided by what you want.

Now .... here's an interesting point, and I have yet to float this one in the appropriate quarters. I also haven't checked my personal schedule for this one, and this may just be pie in the sky, but I'll raise this here anyway. :)

As you know, we're having a day, in November, for a few lucky Sydney members at Oran Park where they will have the run of the circuit during a U-Drive drive day. This event gives those lucky members pretty well unlimited circuit access to permit them unhindered shooting of the cars. Panning, prefocus, tap focus ... a great way to get your hand and eye in.

I know that Andrew users Calder Park Raceway as his Melbourne base, and I have a calendar for some of his upcoming days, which shows me a date in the not too distant future. This particular date seems to be on or adjacent to a weekend, which means that one of my primary objections to holding a day shoot in Melbourne - the lack of a known quantity as the lead for the day - could be overcome were we able to take advantage of the timing potential that I think I may be seeing here.

So ... we have a number of different questions to consider ...

1: Is there interest in a Melbourne portraiture workshop?

2: If there is, how do we want to address the issues of dealing with the models: see if we can get either or both of the ladies we used last Saturday, bearing in mind that this would incur some form foem of contribution from participants, or would you prefer to try to source some local people for this?

3: Is there interest in a shoot at one of U-Drive's Drive Days at Calder Park?

Over to you. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby johnd on Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:35 pm

Gary, having seen the great results from the Sydney one, a portrait workshop in Melbourne would be tempting for this Hobartian. Especially if combined with shooting at Calder. I'd need an idea of dates before I could commit as I'm in Qld October 21 to 30.
Cheers
John
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
johnd

Postby PiroStitch on Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:10 pm

THe portrait session in Melb gets my vote :)
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Alex on Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:00 pm

Portraiture for me too,Gary, I might get one model (amature). But to check with her I would need to know at least approximate dates for the workshop.

Alternatively, I'm quite happy to chip in to flying the models from Sydney.

Looking forward to this one.

Cheers
Alex
Alex

Postby makario on Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:08 pm

another vote from me as well
Canonian
"The Reward is in the doing of it..!!" - Worlds Fastest Indian (2005)
http://www.redbubble.com/people/makro
makario

Postby Oz_Beachside on Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:15 pm

1 vote for me, I'd love the chance to learn with peers, and give me new lenses a solid run!

Happy to contribute towards costs of models from SYD.
Oz_Beachside

Postby blinkblink on Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:42 pm

I'm in unless it is late November as I'm cycling around Victoria then.

I'm not real rich at the moment so I'd rather find some local models but if that fails I could probably find the money to get the models down from Sydney.

Wouldn't mind the Calder Park thing either.

Chris
blinkblink

Postby Oz_Beachside on Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:44 pm

I have a great shoot from the U-Drive days, of a friends drive day (was all 35mm film)

Its lots of fun, and the colors are bright too.
Oz_Beachside

Postby Greg B on Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:58 am

I'm in for the portraiture session.

Gary - did you pay the models in Sydney anything for the day? I would think that finding local models would be much more cost effective, even if we needed to cover minor expenses and a few bob for their trouble (plus of course, the shots for their portfolios)

(Any weekend except 21/22 Oct for me, I will be away on holiday)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:06 pm

I understand Dee is a photgrapher herself, so that would add another photographers input to the learnings of the day!
Oz_Beachside

Postby gstark on Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:13 pm

Greg,

Greg B wrote:Gary - did you pay the models in Sydney anything for the day?

No.

Both ladies were friends, not models, whom I asked to help out on the day.

We're giving them each a CD with a selection of images from the day for their personal use, and I'm going to be printing a couple of images for each of them as well.

I would anticipate a similar arrangement for the Melbourne workshop as well, and I think for this sort of thing there's an advantage in using people who are not professional models, because, let's face it, when you're shooting portaits, you're not shooting models!

I would think that finding local models would be much more cost effective, even if we needed to cover minor expenses and a few bob for their trouble (plus of course, the shots for their portfolios)

Cost effective, yes, but we also need to have the right people. That was a key to the success of last weekend's efforts.

Dates are still open. If we go with the concept of a Calder Park visit as well, that would mean that Calder would be a Saturday affair, and the portiature workshop a Sunday one.

So ... let me also pose this question: what sort of objections do we have to doing the portatiture on a Sunday?

Again, dates are open; I'm merely looking at the options.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Alex on Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:27 pm

I can recommend an amature model who I took photos of previously. Here is a sample Image

Alisa is very easy going and is quite relaxed. She has done photo shoots before.

As modelling is not her career, I would be comfortable compensating her for her time in a form of payment of say $25 per hour. If the workshop takes 4-5 hours it's only $125. I am happy to contribute 50% of the total fee for this model with the other 50% coming from other members.

Gary, if you prefer to fly Dee and Jacinta to Melbourne I'm happy with that also.

Alex
Alex

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:13 pm

Weekends work best for me, either day.

Remember in Melbourne we have a day off in November to wear facinators, and top hats...
Oz_Beachside

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:42 pm

any others interested?

We just need to finalise somes dates, and lets book it in.

How many do we have so far Gary, 5-10?

Anyone know if models from previous are interested/avaialble?

I may be able to arrange for a friend to model for a little bit (pic below)
Oz_Beachside

Postby Greg B on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:06 pm

Confirming that I am in for any weekend except 21/22 October. Please don't make it 21/22 October :D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Antsl on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:02 am

Hi Oz,

I am able to help out with this workshop depending upon the weekend. Lets see what other people have to say and we can take it from there.....

Ants
Last edited by Antsl on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antsl

Postby Nikon boy on Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:59 am

Please count me in to both the Portrait and Calder park sessions, and i am willing to contribute to any costs involved Great idea Gary and thanks for thinking of us down here !
Nikon boy Norman
Nikon boy

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:20 pm

Proposed Date: Sunday 19 November (also lines up with the Fred Hollows exhibition, weekdays at that time)
Venue: Melbourne Inner City, near beach, will PM details
Setup: 1 studio lighting setup, and 1 Speedlight Setup (SB800 etc)
Time: Kickoff 1030am – through to sunset…
Cost: Voluntary wine donation for host, tutor, and models… (Antsl has offered to run the workshop, so thanks to Anthony)
Draft format:
10.30 in the morning with one model only and we discuss lighting types and the effect of different lights on the model.
12.30 pm we stop for some lunch (BBQ? Every body brings some meat and a salad?).
At 1.30 we go into practical session with extra models. My thoughts are that if we can organise about three or four models in total for the afternoon session then we can split the people into two or possibly three different groups, one in the lounge, the other in the garage and the other work in the garden for an hour or two. The lounge group could be experimenting with the studio lights, the garage group get to experiment with smaller on camera flash units in an off camera role and the outside group can try working with available light and reflectors. Later in the afternoon we can all go down to the beach for a free-for-all!
Sunset about 530-6pm.

Any other volunteers for models?

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR INTEREST AT THIS FORM, HURRY, PLACES ARE LIMITED TO 10, AND EXPECTED TO FILL FAST!!!
Last edited by Oz_Beachside on Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oz_Beachside

Postby PiroStitch on Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:24 pm

if you need some gophers to be models, i might be able to rustle up some girls for you ;)
PiroStitch

Postby Greg B on Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:42 pm

Perfect. Lock it in. Make it so. Start your engines.

:D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:52 pm

Greg B wrote:Perfect. Lock it in. Make it so. Start your engines.

Hi,

My note was for the portraiture workshop only, was no reference to the UDrive day, not sure who is carrying that one???

Gary?

Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:57 pm

Oz_Beachside wrote:
Greg B wrote:Perfect. Lock it in. Make it so. Start your engines.

Hi,

My note was for the portraiture workshop only, was no reference to the UDrive day, not sure who is carrying that one???

Gary?

Oz

Nothing.

That needs me to be present - there are safety issues that need to be addressed, and we need somebody in whom I have confidence in their knowledge of motorsports and circuit safety and the like. If I was coming down for the portraiture workshop, then I'd be trying to tie the two events together.

But with Anthony running the portraiture workshop, the participants could not in better hands, and I would only just get in the way.

So that means that we'll have to put this off till another time.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:00 pm

Apologies if my "start your engines" remark was misleading, it wasn't meant to refer to the proposed calder meet, I was just enthusiastically endorsing the proposals for the portraiture workshop.

:?
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby casnell on Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:54 pm

Consider me definitely interested, I've filled in the form!

Chris
casnell

Postby Alex on Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:59 pm

Yep. Have filled out the form.

Thanks
Alex
Alex

Postby PiroStitch on Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:04 pm

form submitted and nobody's still replied to my offer....
PiroStitch

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:20 pm

PiroStitch wrote:form submitted and nobody's still replied to my offer....

I have received your registration.

Is your offer to invite friends to Model? We are looking for some, so would be helpful.
Oz_Beachside

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:23 pm

WOW, Strong interest, 6 registered ALREADY!!! :D
Oz_Beachside

Postby PiroStitch on Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:27 pm

g'day bruce,

Well they're not friends. I did take some photos of them for an event I was covering and I'm sure they'd be interested in this. I'll let them know and see if they're keen.

Cheers,

Wayne
PiroStitch

Postby johnd on Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:13 pm

I've registered. It's a long way to come from Hobart for a workshop but I reckon it'll be worth it. And I'll get a chance to meet a few people I feel like I know already but have never met. :)
Cheers
John
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
johnd

Postby Alex on Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:13 pm

johnd wrote:I've registered. It's a long way to come from Hobart for a workshop but I reckon it'll be worth it. And I'll get a chance to meet a few people I feel like I know already but have never met. :)
Cheers
John

Good. Looking forward to meet you, John.

Alex
Alex

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:08 pm

9 registrations so far!!!

which means, if the limit remains at 10, only one left, but register anyway, as some may drop out as we get closer to the event.

thanks for your intererst.
Oz_Beachside

Postby casnell on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:27 pm

Still looking for models?

Chris
casnell

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:17 pm

casnell wrote:Still looking for models?

Chris

Yes we are, do you have any volunteers?
Oz_Beachside

Postby casnell on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:31 pm

I'll try...what are we after?

Chris
casnell

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:56 pm

I dont know the criteria...

perhaps someone who is confident in front of a camera is a start, maybe posing experience? a brilliant smile?

what would other registered members like?
Oz_Beachside

Postby Antsl on Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:55 pm

Ok guys... thinking thinking...

Whats the difference in results between an amatuer photographer working with a professional model and a professional photographer working with an amatuer model.... answer, not a lot!

Anyone can make a good model look reasonable but it is worth noting that most of the time you are not going to get an A grade model for your weekend shoots, your going to be getting a friend or someone from next door and these require more skill. You are better off asking an average looking friend who is just happy to be part of the day simply because you are going to learn more about portrait photography this way. Half the battle is in learning how to light people but the other half is in learning how to make people appear comfortable in front of the camera. Learn the later skill and you can photograph anyone.

Don't go looking for "model" models for the day, just bring along a friend!

Ants
Antsl

Postby Aussie Dave on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:20 am

Antsl wrote:Ok guys... thinking thinking...

Whats the difference in results between an amatuer photographer working with a professional model and a professional photographer working with an amatuer model.... answer, not a lot!

Anyone can make a good model look reasonable but it is worth noting that most of the time you are not going to get an A grade model for your weekend shoots, your going to be getting a friend or someone from next door and these require more skill. You are better off asking an average looking friend who is just happy to be part of the day simply because you are going to learn more about portrait photography this way. Half the battle is in learning how to light people but the other half is in learning how to make people appear comfortable in front of the camera. Learn the later skill and you can photograph anyone.

Don't go looking for "model" models for the day, just bring along a friend!

Ants

I agree. It's about learning to take better portraiture shots, not about working with a gorgeous model.

Perhaps if you're finding it hard to get models, you could all take turns in being the model ? It would let everyone see things from the models point of view, which could also be beneficial in the learning experience ?!? At the end of the day, does it matter who is sitting in front of the camera (for the purposes of this workshop ?)

Just a suggestion.
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Greg B on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:48 am

All true Dave, but it also about having fun, and having one or more models (amateur or otherwise) who are into being models will create a better sense of occasion than taking photos of each other.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Aussie Dave on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:54 am

Greg B wrote:All true Dave, but it also about having fun, and having one or more models (amateur or otherwise) who are into being models will create a better sense of occasion than taking photos of each other.

True Greg. I just thought I'd suggest it as it seems finding suitable models is posing a problem.....pardon the pun :wink:

Of course working with models that have been in front of a camera before will certainly be an advantage. I didn't mean to elude otherwise. Sorry if I was not clear :)
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Alex on Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:00 am

My model offer still stands if you guys are interested.

Alex
Alex

Postby johnd on Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:55 am

Well, both Alex and Oz have said they may be able to get models. So do we still have a problem?
Cheers
John
johnd

Postby DaveB on Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:Of course working with models that have been in front of a camera before will certainly be an advantage. I didn't mean to elude otherwise.

<scratches head>
Ah: "allude"!

Sorry, someone has to be the token pedant! ;)
DaveB

Postby Aussie Dave on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:38 pm

DaveB wrote:
Aussie Dave wrote:Of course working with models that have been in front of a camera before will certainly be an advantage. I didn't mean to elude otherwise.

<scratches head>

Sorry, English is my second language......Australian is my first :wink:

It was early in the morning though :oops:
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:40 pm

DaveB wrote:

<scratches head>

But is it possible to just be a token pedant? :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:58 pm

Thats 10 so far. Please register, in case we can cater for any more, or others cancel (will be in a first in basis I guess is fairest?)

Antsl
Oz_Beachside
7zark7
johnd
casnell
Alex
Pirostitch
Nikon Boy
Greg B
DaveB
blinkblink
Oz_Beachside

Postby DaveB on Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm

Gary, touche!.
Don't you wish you had a rimshot sound-effect to go with that? ;)
DaveB

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:39 am

Man I'm really excited about this!!! :D Sorry guys the girls I asked are still studying and that's exam period :S
PiroStitch

model for workshop

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:46 am

Hello,

THe Melbourne lighting/portaiture workshop is now 3 weeks away. We have 1 volunteers model booked in, can anyone else voluteer (themselves/family/frinds/experienced-models/inexpereinced-models).

regards,
Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby MHD on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:13 am

Oz_Beachside wrote:Proposed Date: Sunday 19 November (also lines up with the Fred Hollows exhibition, weekdays at that time)
Venue: Melbourne Inner City, near beach, will PM details
Setup: 1 studio lighting setup, and 1 Speedlight Setup (SB800 etc)
Time: Kickoff 1030am – through to sunset…
Cost: Voluntary wine donation for host, tutor, and models… (Antsl has offered to run the workshop, so thanks to Anthony)
Draft format:
10.30 in the morning with one model only and we discuss lighting types and the effect of different lights on the model.
12.30 pm we stop for some lunch (BBQ? Every body brings some meat and a salad?).
At 1.30 we go into practical session with extra models. My thoughts are that if we can organise about three or four models in total for the afternoon session then we can split the people into two or possibly three different groups, one in the lounge, the other in the garage and the other work in the garden for an hour or two. The lounge group could be experimenting with the studio lights, the garage group get to experiment with smaller on camera flash units in an off camera role and the outside group can try working with available light and reflectors. Later in the afternoon we can all go down to the beach for a free-for-all!
Sunset about 530-6pm.

Any other volunteers for models?

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR INTEREST AT THIS FORM, HURRY, PLACES ARE LIMITED TO 10, AND EXPECTED TO FILL FAST!!!

DOH! If you would have made it the saturday I could have come!
Sounds like fun!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Next

Return to Events