D70 forum private photo safari at Werribee Zoo *no public*

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D70 forum private photo safari at Werribee Zoo *no public*

Postby mudder on Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:32 pm

G'day all,
I previously simply added this to the end of the Eastern suburbs mini-meet and I think may have been lost in the mini-meet story... This might be a good opportunity for the Melbourne dudes as this is a private D70 function organised through the Werribee Open plains Zoo, no public will be involved with this... Sorry if I've done the wrong thing by starting a new thread, just thought the opportunity might be un-noticed otherwise...
Ok all,
Here's the low-down on what I've been able to organise with the Werribee open plains zoo staff... I've been able to get a one-off, special deal for our D70 forum, no public involved!

I needed to give both them and myself plenty of advance notice so we could get numbers etc and also to work in with their business requirements etc... They are a business after-all...

How's about:
A late afternoon (5pm) photo safari for just ourselves, no minimum fee or number (they usually try to get at least 10 people on the ute but I'd like to restrict it to about 8 so it'll be comfortable with a heap of zoom lenses swinging around, normally there's quite a few P&S jobbies that don't take up room and swing around etc).
We only pay for those that go etc with a discount thrown in for good measure(!) amounting to $45.60 each.

Date = 5pm Sunday afternoon Feb 27th.

Maximum I'd recommend on the back of the one-tonner would be about 8 to to keep it comfortable with a plethora of zoom lenses swinging around etc... Especially considering those inconsiderate animals will usually only be on one side of the ute at a time

This is a **one-off, non-public affair** just for our D70 forum... I need to know reasonably firm numbers within the next week or so...

Anyone that's keen can PM me with their details and whether they're keen... The first 7 people who send a PM confirming they'd like to come will get in...

First-in, best dressed as they say... And many thanks go to the friendly Zoo rep who helped me organise this... A few of the "good" shots could perhaps be printed for them as a thank you... I'll arrange that if need be...

Cheers,
Mudder PS. Two spots gone...
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby Marty on Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:48 pm

Hey Mudder,
that's a great idea and an amazing place to photograph animals.
I did the photo safari thing there last year, its amazing just how close you get to the animals.
In fact its almost scary...
The rhinos are truly awesome and the staff were really good.
Wish I was in Vic to go again.
I highly recommend it to anyone thinking about going.
Good luck
Marty
What does that button do....??
Marty

Postby sheepie on Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:09 pm

If only I could come!!!

Been looking at doing this next time we come to Melbourne, but won't be able to make it that quick unfortuanately :(

Let's know how it goes :)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:37 pm

Damn... we're there the following week.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:05 pm

Mudder,

As this solidifies, please let me know the details so that I can add it to the calendar.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:06 pm

Pfft.. what is 8 hours drive compared with with pleasure of our company!
Shame on you, shame on you all!

On a serious note, i'm in... I was going to be going at some point any way, if I can lose the public and replace them with D70 Crew I'll be overjoyed..
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby mudder on Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:31 pm

Marty wrote:... The rhinos are truly awesome and the staff were really good...

And the baby white rhino is now in the paddock where the public and we could see it!!!

Can't wait...

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby skyva on Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:54 pm

Sounds very good Mudder. I might need to see about some more lenses to assist the kit lens I currently have. If we are driving around though I might not need much in the way of length, but more in the way of cleaning.
skyva

Postby mudder on Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:20 pm

G'day all,

I *think* the current status on the Werribee photo safari is:
5 definates (including moi)
3 maybes... two of those are up for grabs for now... Anyone that's keen just let me know, could fit one or two more if need be, just reduces room that's all...

Have confirmed the booking with the Zoo so date = 5pm Sunday afternoon Feb 27th @ $45.60 each.

I can play taxi for anyone either somewhere in the East, near Melbourne or on the way etc. I can fit three (plus me) in my car, if that helps anyone. We can work out transport and stuff as it gets closer...

This is gonna be fun, and would be great to meet you guys that I haven't yet met :-)

I'll send PM's to those that I think are definates just to shore things up...

Cheers,
Mudder
Edited, forgot to say, PM's tomorrow from work (shhhh, don't tell 'em I'm surfing this forum at work, they'll never know ;-) )
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:58 pm

Yo Mudder,

Your car is nicer but my car is bigger and I can take 4 people plus myself in relative comfort..

You're a champion for organising this, glad we're getting a nice response..
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby redline on Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:04 pm

so what type of equipment are we guys bring?
not too sure how far the animals are going to be from the ute. Is it ok to strobe the animals?
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby mudder on Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:47 pm

redline wrote:so what type of equipment are we guys bring?
not too sure how far the animals are going to be from the ute. Is it ok to strobe the animals?

G'day,
The animals are in an open paddock, some are close, some a further away, depends on where the ute goes I suppose... The last time I was there most of the animals were fairly comfortable with the ute so they stayed when we came up to them in the back of the ute...

For some examples taken with the Sigma 70-300mm (I think the examples have basic exif like focal length etc):
http://photobucket.com/albums/v491/falc ... ain%20Zoo/

Bring what-ever zooms you've got...

Edited, forgot to add, dunno about whether strobing (I assume you mean a flash?) would be worth it, as it'll be at 5pm in the arvo...

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby Nicole on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:35 pm

This should be fun! Thanks for organising Mudder. Afternoon is definitely better for light and here's hoping it will be good weather!
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby redline on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:18 pm

may i also suggest that after the shoot we head off to the werribee plaza complex - theres about 3 different types of italian resturants. give us a bit of a chance to chat and have some chow? but that depends on how long the zoo trip takes
redline

Postby mudder on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:39 pm

redline wrote:may i also suggest that after the shoot we head off to the werribee plaza complex - theres about 3 different types of italian resturants. give us a bit of a chance to chat and have some chow? but that depends on how long the zoo trip takes

G'day,
I'm guessing the photo stuff would only take say an hour and a half(?). I think the morning tour I took a while ago took just short of two hours but that included a stop half-way through for a snack 'n chat...

The feed afterwards sounds great! I dare say a few of us will be hanging out for a feed by then :-)

Just gotta think of anyone that we give a lift to and when they need to get home etc. but I'll be in it...

Good thinkin' redline...

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby mudder on Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:48 pm

G'day fellow animal nuts :-)

I've just booked the Werribee safari thing with the Werribee zoo, Sunday 27th Feb. The times detailed on the booking form are 5:00 - 7:00 so I'd assume we'd need to be there at least say 30 mins before to catch up, chat and get organised etc, so I'd plan to lob there by 4:30. Melways ref 201D1.

Anyone that needs a lift just PM me where you live and we'll work something out either with me or another member that's going etc... We can work out the transport arrangements when it gets closer...

So far have 7 definates, that's enough for the booking (min = 6) but 8 would probably fit comfortably so if either anyone else wants to come and play, or one of the definates would like a second spot just let me know...

I'll make sure the definates have my contact details via PM, so you've got 'em in case you need 'em.

Keep yer fingers crossed for the weather :-)

Cheers for now.
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Hi

Postby yeocsa on Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:36 pm

Hi Mudder,

Is there space for one more?

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Re: Hi

Postby mudder on Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:55 pm

yeocsa wrote:Hi Mudder,
Is there space for one more?
Arthur

G'day Arthur,
Yep, you're number eight! Glad you could come and play :-)

I wanted to keep maximum at 8 or so to keep things manageable on the back of a one-tonner...

I'll send you my details in PM.

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby Davidson on Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:19 am

If someone pulls out,I would be interested

Maybe you could oganise anther photo safari

David
Bikes are great, but camera are better.
Davidson

Postby mudder on Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:23 pm

Davidson wrote:If someone pulls out,I would be interested Maybe you could oganise anther photo safari David

G'day David,
Sorry mate it'll get a bit awkward, initially I was actually gonna limit it to 6 but thought that may be asking a bit much... I'll definately note your interest though and if anyone pulls out, I'll send you a PM...

If there's interest, there's always plenty of other locations or historic sites we can organise things for though, depends on the interest etc...

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby redline on Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:21 pm

sound great Mudder,
glad they didn't say, oh sorry we're still trying to find all the animals after the huge rainfall this week. hopefully we'll get good weather.
redline

Postby Davidson on Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:37 pm

Hi Mudder

Maybe you should organise a second ute at the same time.

That way one group could photograph the other group amongst the wild animials. The zoo could get some interesting promotion images.

David
Bikes are great, but camera are better.
Davidson

Postby mudder on Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:33 pm

Davidson wrote:...Maybe you should organise a second ute at the same time. That way one group could photograph the other group amongst the wild animials. ...

G'day David,
Unfortunately the ute requires a Zoo driver and a Zoo guide, so a second ute is unavailable. Re: amongst the wild animals, I'm not sure whether they'll be in the park or on the back of the ute ;-)

If there's enough interest I'll organise another shoot either same place or elsewhere, perhaps a nice historic place (like Gulf Station) or a nice park like Hawkestowe Park or something like that perhaps?

If I'm organising I just need to work in with my (unfortunate) work requirements as I work a lot of week-ends and provide on-call tech support for large computer projects, so I need to get dates organised well in advance :-(

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Getting organised for the week-end

Postby mudder on Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:25 pm

G'day fellow animal nuts :-)

I'm picking up a couple of guys, checking with another whether he needs a lift, but the general plan is to get there about 4:00pm... That way we can meet each other and chat before we jump on the back of the ute etc...

PlatinumW let me know if you need a lift matey (check PM), Arthur and Meicw I'll pick you guys up... Check your PM's...

Other members going, please be there by 4:30 so we can be sure we get organised and we're ready to roll as the Zoo guide will need to get us organised etc before 5pm, so we'll need to be together and ready to roll... You'll be able to tell the D70 members by either the D70 Pro-loop straps or the backpacks and lotsa camera gear :-)

If any of the other members going has any questions or needs a lift etc. just PM me...

Cheers all, looking forward to meeting those of you I haven't met :-)

Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby redline on Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:42 am

sounds great mudder,
do you have a roll count of whos going atm?
can't wait till then, although iam NOT an animal nut.
redline

Postby stormygirl on Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:01 pm

This would have been fantastic, guys, but I unfortunately joined the forums too late! I look forward to seeing the pics!
stormygirl

Postby Nicole on Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:01 pm

And...so far the weather is looking great! :D

See you guys on Sunday!
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Re: Getting organised for the week-end

Postby Greg B on Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:05 am

mudder wrote:You'll be able to tell the D70 members by either the D70 Pro-loop straps or the backpacks and lotsa camera gear :-)

Just a reminder - Birdy has given me a supply of Pro Loop straps with the D70Users logo, for easy purchase by Melbourne members (no shipping costs). They are $30, PM me if you want one.

And have fun on Sunday to those going.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby mudder on Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:59 am

G'day,

Should have got a D70 Forum t-shirt so people would know who we are... rats! The next thing on the list I spose...

Greg, the prop-loop straps are great! They really do make a big difference, especially with a heavy lens on the body... Got one of those recently and they're terrific...

Good weather predictions, so this should be fun, really looking forward to it... :-) Can't wait, hope to see the baby rhino...

All the members going, send me a PM if you don't have my mobile in case anything comes up for you or you have any worries etc...

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:46 am

Oh yeah.. I hate me.. :(

I've been laid up for the past 36 hours with a fever and chills.. yay me!
I'll still be there today... thank christ I have a VR lens now to combat the shakes!!
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
PlatinumWeaver

Postby redline on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:43 pm

oh man, it was really great todays meet.
but in future bring insect repellent, trust me on this one!
Mudder organising a pixspot account with each of our names as cateroies so we can dump shot from tonights shoot.
Redline
redline

Postby birddog114 on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:47 pm

You guys got hit by mozzie? mozzies are too small and all of you are big guys with big guns, don't scare!!!!get them and stone them to death :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looking forward to all your amazing photos and experiences.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Nicole on Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:46 pm

Those mozzies were definitely not small. I swear they shipped them over especially from Africa to intensify the experience. :shock:

Was a blast and great to meet everyone. We had a guide called Ron and he gave us value for money. Usually the photo safari goes for 2 hours but he gave us 3 hours worth. He got us in all the right spots and supplied coffee/tea/muffins at the end. Thanks Mudder for organising. 8)
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby mudder on Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:55 pm

G'day,
Yep, I think them mozzies were the wild African ones ;-)

Was great fun, was funny listening to all those shutters going mad when-ever we'd get near an animal, and the white rhino was cute (as far as a rhino can be), was terrific fun and great to meet some more members too :-) Was also funny when the bus of sight-see'ers went passed, they seemed more interested in us than the "other" animals ;-)

Hope everyone had fun, I know I did :-) now all I gotta do is process 376 shots doh! Ended up keeping about 80 odd, will organise an account on Pixspot if it's OK with Kristine (I'll PM to make sure its' OK) allow say 3 Mb each (just thumbnails on pixspot) and then we'll organise a CD of higher quality ones to give to the Werribee Zoo staff if that's OK with all the people that went etc...

I'll send PM's to the members that went about the pixspot once I've checked with Kristine. Just upload what you consider to be your best keepers etc... Also I sent a short note of thanks mentioning how friendly and helpful our guide "Ron" was, which they appreciated.

Cheers all,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:25 am

Food poisoning - me.. luckily our little 'school excursion' happened during the only 4 hour period where I wasn't extremely unwell..

first time in 2.5 years at my current job where I had to call in sick.. still off work today..

Photos are on the PC, but have not had the energy so far to have a look at them all..

:(
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
PlatinumWeaver

Return to Melbourne