Where are the Melbourne D70 people??

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby Nicole on Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:13 pm

Hi Skyva,

As Greg said, we tried but hopefully next year. I'll be ready and raring to go.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

blogging...

Postby jdear on Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:13 pm

Ive been playing around with a flash blog on my server - http://www.jdear.com/blog. The whole thing is done with flash 7 / mysql and php.

It is open source - free under the GPL user license. You will need unix server most probably, running PHP and MYSQL. The open source can be downloaded from http://www.flashblog.org

It is only in beta mode, I already converted most of it from spanish to english, customised it a little. will add a music player etc when im motivated. (its not live to the general public yet) The admin interface is really powerful and contains every thingyou need to customize posts and articles, including uploading images etc.

The good thing about this blog, you can download the flash source, edit it, and upload it all to your server so it doesnt rely on someone else's hosting so if it dissappears your not lost.

Im keeping an eye out for the final release, since my version they have already added RSS and XML feeds, how many topics posted in each category, and also how many comments exist.

Another thing to look at would be a complete CMS solution such as mamboserver (mamboserver.com) which has opensource add on components such as the RSGallery etc. (includes EXif info, voting, slideshow etc.)

Im looking at it at the moment, maybe going to set up a nikon community website.

if you want to pay for a weblog do a google search, or check out http://www.typepad.com/

hope it helps
JD
jdear

Hi! Another New D70 Melbournite

Postby endymion on Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:12 pm

Hi Folks,

I've just recently stumbled across this site via a google search. As my subject line says I'm from Melbourne. I got my D70 back in march and have been very happy with it, despite a few hickups with the 18-70 kit lens. Its been serviced now and all is well. I just last weekend purchased the 12-24 mm zoom Nikkor and its WIDE. I can't remember whose signature starts "a picture is worth a couple of thousand..." but they're dead right.

Anyway, browsing here showed this to be one of the most civil forums I've ever seen on the internet so I thought I'd join up. I have some photos at http://members.optusnet.com.au/brucecrawford if you're interested. Some of these, however, were taken with my old camera, an Olympus E20.

Cheers,

Bruce
Last edited by endymion on Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
endymion

Re: Hi! Another New D70 Melbournite

Postby fozzie on Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:22 pm

endymion (aka bruce)

Welcome to the forum. :D

Look forward to your input in the coming days, months, and years.

How are you enjoying the Nikkor 12-24mm :?:

endymion wrote:Hi Folks,

I've just recently stumbled across this site via a google search. As my subject line says I'm from Melbourne. I got my D70 back in march and have been very had with it, despite a few hickups with the 18-70 kit lens. Its been serviced now and all is well. I just last weekend purchased the 12-24 mm zoom Nikkor and its WIDE. I can't remember whose signature starts "a picture is worth a couple of thousand..." but they're dead right.

Anyway, browsing here showed this to be one of the most civil forums I've ever seen on the internet so I thought I'd join up. I have some photos at http://members.optusnet.com.au/brucecrawford if you're interested. Some of these, however, were taken with my old camera, an Olympus E20.

Cheers,

Bruce

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Re: Hi! Another New D70 Melbournite

Postby Greg B on Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:27 pm

endymion wrote: I can't remember whose signature starts "a picture is worth a couple of thousand..." but they're dead right.

endymion/bruce

That would be me.

Welcome to d70users, great to have another Melbourne member - love the sound of that 12-24.

We will be organising a melb meet in the new year, hope you will be a part of it.

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Greg B on Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:30 pm

I enjoyed your photos too.

"Alice and Nibbler" stood out, as did the shot of the city with the e20, and the Tina shot.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby kurokaze204 on Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:47 am

I agree, nice shots. Many excellent shots with great use of perspective. Have to say my favourites are The Next Day and Dirty Dishes. Great use of colour and light.

Are you a photographer by trade or is it just the name of your web-site?
kurokaze204

Postby endymion on Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:41 am

Hi Stuart and Greg,

Thanks for the compliments and the warm welcome. I'm not a professional photographer by any means. I don't fancy trying to make a living from photography as my hit:miss ratio is too low. I called my site "Bruce Crawford Photography" just because I couldn't think of anything wittier. You might recognise the "Dirty Dishes" photo as having appeared on the cover of the October issue of the Australian photographic magazine "Camera". This was a complete surprise to me as I'd just entered it on a website competition as a lark and next thing I knew it was a cover. Its a shame it wasn't taken with my D70.

Finally, its really cool that this site has been set up. I'm a member of a few other sites but having one dedicated to the D70 is excellent and it being an australian site is even better. I'd be very happy to join in any upcoming events in Melbourne.

Cheers,

Bruce
endymion

Postby Nicole on Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:44 pm

Welcome to the forum Bruce. I remember that dirty dishes photo. Must be exciting seeing your photo on the front cover of a camera mag.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby endymion on Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:07 am

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for the welcome. It was certainly a thrill to get one of my photos on the cover of a magazine. I've been constantly amazed at just how positive a reception that photo has received since I took it. It's been most gratifying.

Cheers,

Bruce
endymion

Postby tsanglabs on Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I also stumbled on this site when searching on google (looking for info about ML-L3). I got my D70 in June but have been pretty busy at work for the last few months so I have been too distracted to get out and take photos :(.

But now I'm getting back into it. I attempted getting some lightning shots tonight but missed most of them. I'm up in BrisVegas ATM so I may try to get some shots of the fireworks on NYE. Anybody from brisbane know any good spots other since I dont want to be in the crowd on Southbank?
tsanglabs

New one

Postby Jeko70 on Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:38 pm

Hi all,
I'm new here , website and country but not alone I got my D70. I see forum being very busy!!!!!
I'll be one of you, if you want!!!!!
If not doesn't matter.
Cheers mate.
Cogito Ergo Sum!....Our World Is Not For Sale....
Photocinearts Michelangelo Antonioni Flickr
Jeko70

Postby Nikon boy on Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:57 pm

Hello Everyone, i have been looking at this site for a couple of months while i was pondering making the leap into Digital ,,,,it has been a great help both before and after,,,

For xmas my wife and i purchased a D70 package in Melbourne,

this complements our existing Nikon film bodies, which we decided to keep,, and a small,and growing collection of Nikon and Sigma /Tamron lenses,,,,

Phew , what a learning curve,,,i had been using Nikon compact digital's
so i guess the process was not entirely foreign but it has been very
challenging never the less,but what FUN,,,i have rediscovered
some old and new joys and will post them as time progresse to bore
everyone silly i am sure,,,,have taken about 3000 images since xmas day,,,and only one roll of film has gone through the F5,, [/quote]
Nikon boy Norman
Nikon boy

Postby Greg B on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:57 pm

Welcome Jeko and Nikon Boy.

The Melbourne chapter is now officially huge.

Enjoy the forum, join in, have fun, its all good :)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Joining in Melbourne

Postby David on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:07 pm

I'm another Melbournian.
I got the D70 in September in Singapore.
Probably not a good idea to buy O/S anymore to be truthfull.
It's cheaper now at any rate.
But I've had 4 good months with it - I haven't used my F80s since - pity because the Viewfinder and camera action seem better. Don't know what to do with the F80s.
I'm not a computer literate person - much although I use Mac and Photoshop CS Raw ok. Guess I'll keep lurking
Thanks (advice on clever things to say accepted)
David
David

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:14 pm

David,

Welcome.

Make a point of keeping tabs on where Greg is; that way you'll not miss out on a local meet, where you can get together with the rest of the Melbourne D70 Users, and exchange war stories.

And don't forget that we'll be having a mini-mini-meet on Lygon St on the Friday night of the GP weekend, when Leigh and I will be in town, armed with D70's, VR lenses, Feisols and Manfrottos, and partaking of the odd cappuccino or 10.

Your name is already down as a prospective attendee; and there's a severe penalty for non-attendance.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:45 pm

Welcome David. You don't need to lurk, just crap on like everybody else does.

Glad you are enjoying your d70

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Davidson on Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:01 pm

Hi everyone

I have had nikons for over twenty years and and my D70 was my fourth and best digital camera.

I belong to the Wodonga Albury Camera Club and enjoy taking photos of family, places, events and for camera competitions.

David :lol:
Bikes are great, but camera are better.
Davidson

Postby Mark T on Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:43 pm

Davidson wrote:Hi everyone

I belong to the Wodonga Albury Camera Club and enjoy taking photos of family, places, events and for camera competitions.

David :lol:

Hey David,

This D70's site has competitions (I believe the current one runs to end February).

You may want to check out the rules and see if you can enter - could win yourself some cool camera gear!

Mark T
Mark T

Postby stormygirl on Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:33 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm from Melbourne too, and have had my D70 for about a week! I LOVE IT! But just need some more time to go and take some shots! I'm loving this forum and all the fabo photos in it!
stormygirl

Postby Greg B on Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:38 pm

Welcome stormygirl, enjoy the camera and the forum.
cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Nicole on Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:56 pm

Hi Stormygirl. Welcome. It's a great place and can't wait to see some storm pics! :D
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby aswcheng on Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:36 pm

Greg B wrote:Next time you hit Melb, check out Brunswick street, there are some great restaurants and cafes around there too!

Lycon Street is also great for restaurants.

There are also some good coffee places in the small alleys between Collins & Burke Streets in the city!
aswcheng

Postby PiroStitch on Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:06 pm

Hi everyone :D

I'm another D70 Melbournian. I'm continuously awed by this camera and there's always something to learn everytime I go off on a photography shoot :)

I only stumbled across this site from the dpreview.com forums.

I bought an old MF 50mm 1.8 second hand for $80 and absolutely love it! Here's one of my fave photos from it:

http://www.digifocal.com/pub_photos/50mm/piano.jpg

Kit lens (18-70):
http://www.digifocal.com/pub_photos/melbourne/pan4_crop.jpg
http://www.digifocal.com/pub_photos/melbourne/pan5_crop.jpg

Hope to meet up with some other D70-ers.

Cheers,

Wayne
PiroStitch

Postby kipper on Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:24 pm

Hhehe it was Onyx on DPReview that got me here :)
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:25 pm

kipper wrote:Hhehe it was Onyx on DPReview that got me here :)

Don't take that guy (Onyx)! He disappeared!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:34 pm

Welcome Pirostitch / Wayne

I like your photos, the hands on the pianoi shot is very nice work, and the nighttime city panos are great.

We have lots of melb members now, there is going to be a meet in April (if we can ever get it organised) so stay tuned.

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby PiroStitch on Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:30 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Greg :)

I'd like to have the opportunity to meet up with other D70 users in Melbourne :)

I'll keep checking the board to find out about hte April meetup.
PiroStitch

Postby Holden on Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:45 pm

Gday all , I just found this forum while researching for a new lens
Holden

Postby joolz on Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:00 pm

Welcome Holden,
You'll find that this is an extremely useful site with a great community. There are great resources available to participating members and fantastic advice. Being, Australian based, it is also geographically vary useful for bargains, local shooting locations, meets etc.
You can search about your lens or ask about it if you can't find what you are looking for.

Cheers
Joolz
joolz

Postby Holden on Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:19 pm

Thanls for the welcome joolz
I'm looking for something around 70-300 , the Sigma APO Super Macro II 70-300 looks pretty good and I see there is a fair bit of info on this forum for me to go through
I have a fair bit to learn as I am a dslr noob and this looks like a great place to start :D
Holden

Postby kipper on Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:24 pm

Find out how much to spend. Nikkor 70-300G is a good starter lens (depends if you get a good one, seems much variation in quality), Sigma 70-300 APO II is a good starter to intermediate quality lens. On the better end of the scale are the Sigma 70-200 EX DG APO (HSM) 2.8 and the Nikkor 70-200VR 2.8. If you go the 70-300 APO II, you will upgrade later on if you're serious about photography. I've got the 70-200VR with a 1.7 teleconvertor and I'm even thinking this isn't enough reach :) I've also owned the 70-300G and the 70-300 APO I and while they were nice lenses given the correct lighting conditions, when you didn't have a lot of light they were dead weight.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Holden on Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:51 am

That's the sort of feedback I like kipper :) , originally I was looking at the Nikkor G and then I come across the Sigma APO
The Sigma is at the top end of my budget (approx $400) and the macro is a bonus , as I am a poor family man I don't know if I will have much chance of upgrading , so I thought get the best I can afford now
Holden

Postby Greg B on Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:19 am

Holden, the macro on the Sigma would be a bonus. My first lens purchase was the Tamron 70-300 which has the macro, and I had great fun with it. Since then I have lashed out and bought the Nikkor 105 macro, but the Tamron was a very enjoyable stopgap. In my view, that is enough reason to get the sigma or tamron over the nikon. (In that 70-300 inexpensive lens area)

Welcome to the forum.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:04 pm

Holden, if you decide to go the cheap way and get the Tamron I currently have one that I'm not using ( upgraded to 80-400VR ).. going cheap.. need money for petrol! :lol:

Who am I kidding.. need money for more lenses... :(
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby Holden on Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:59 pm

Gday PlatinumWeaver
Which particular Tamron lens is that , is that the one thats suposed to be the same as the Nikon G lens
A link would be nice if you have one
Holden

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:23 pm

It's the Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 LD that GregB was talking about.. here's a link to BHphotovideo from the US.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... 161&is=REG

Ken Rockwell, of whom you'll hear differing opinions here, compares the Tamron with the Nikon 70-300 F/4-5.6 AF instead of the "cheaper" 70-300 G.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300af.htm

More reviews here:
http://photo.net/ezshop/product?product ... ommreviews
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID58/3619.html
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby Holden on Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:39 pm

How does that lens compare with the sigma , what sort of price are you looking at
as I am just new to this would it be a good starting point
Holden

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:51 pm

I'd check out reviews and images posted by people with the lenses..
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
PlatinumWeaver

Postby resnikov on Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:48 pm

Hi, i'm another Melbourne d70 user, been lurking for a few weeks on here, so i thought i had better say hello.

cheers

resnikov
resnikov

Postby embi on Sun May 01, 2005 12:56 am

A good friend from Sydney informed me of these forums so here I am. Another melbourne D70 user.
embi

Postby Holden on Sun May 01, 2005 3:30 pm

Gday embi and resnikov I have not been here long either , welcome to the forum :)
I hope you get as much knowledge and enjoyment here as I have
Holden

Postby kaufuu on Thu May 12, 2005 3:01 pm

Hi everybody,

been lurking around for a while and actually registered few weeks back,
but this is the first day starting posting.
this has been a very informative forum, just in a few weeks time i picked
quite a few useful information. thank you for those who have been
actively posting.

wish you all have a nice day.
kaufuu

Postby BBJ on Thu May 12, 2005 3:08 pm

Hi kaufuu, Im not over the border in Victoria or near Melbourne but welcome anyhow as you have found out the wealth of information is outstanding so i hope you enjoy your stay and share some pics with us and join in.
Cheers
John
BBJ
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby Greg B on Thu May 12, 2005 3:10 pm

A big welcome to all new(ish) Melbourne members, embi, resnikov, kaufuu and others.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby mic on Fri May 13, 2005 4:25 pm

Oh, sorry, Mic here as well. :roll:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby Bandit on Thu May 26, 2005 2:23 pm

Hi everyone,

Finno, a mate of mine from Sydney, recommended I have a look around this board.

Been lurking for a few weeks and thought I had better say hi and add to the chapter of Vic members :D

Haven't got my D70 yet, but will be doing so in the next 3 or so months. Birddog's prices look awesome, and I regularly travel overseas for work (Singapore approx every 3 months, London twice a year and occasionally to the US), so needless to say I may be taking advantage of prices in transit in Hong Kong and Singapore! My biggest confusion is about what lenses etc to get, and I will be reading more about that over the coming weeks!

I am a keen SCUBA diver, and have a Canon Powershot A95 for dive photos (not that avid a fan of taking pics underwater), and I want my D70 for above the water shots. My photographic skills are basic at the moment, but I am on the improve (don't take too many shots of my thumb now :roll: ). My usual subjects are my two children, the King Parrots and Crimson rosellas that we feed around our house in Cockatoo, my Newfoundland, and of the fish and coral in my marine reef tank.

If you guys are hooking up for a meet one night, let me know and I will try and be there.
Jamie

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Bandit

Postby Greg B on Thu May 26, 2005 2:56 pm

Welcome aboard Jamie.

We will probably get an eating/drinking meet organised soon.

Good luck with your lens decisions, it is never easy.

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Bandit on Thu May 26, 2005 3:25 pm

Greg,

Know what you mean.

Looking for a good macro lens (any suggestions), and will probably go with the 24-120VR as well.

Others to come afterwards no doubt :roll:
Jamie

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Bandit

Postby Greg B on Thu May 26, 2005 3:33 pm

Jamie

After much agonising, I got the Nikkor 105 f2.8 macro, and it is a beauty. Other members have the Sigma with same specs, and the Sigma 150, and they get some fine results from those. The Nikkor 60 is also well regarded, and obviously has a closer working distance than the 105.

However, I can personally recommend the Nikkor 105 without reservation.

(The which macro question has had a huge flogging, a search will turn up several threads and lots of posts)

And the 24-120 VR is apparently an excellent substitute for the kit lens, although personally, I like the 18mm end of the kit lens quite a bit.

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

PreviousNext

Return to Melbourne