Milford Track New Zeeeeealand - Jan/Feb 07

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Milford Track New Zeeeeealand - Jan/Feb 07

Postby SteveGriffin on Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:06 pm

I am thinking about doing the Milford Track early in the new year. Is there any interest from other forum members in walking / photographing the 'finest walk in the world'.

It is a 5 day / 4 night trip ex Queenstown. Prices seems to be around NZ$1750 for a guided trip.
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby Matt. K on Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:49 pm

How much for an 'unguided walk' and why do you need a guide to go for a walk? :shock: :shock:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby radar on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:07 pm

Matt, it is called comfort :D :D

In the guided walks, you get to stay in nice lodges, hot showers. You only need to carry your personal belonguings, ie carry more camera gear, the food is all looked after, so you can then concentrate on photography. 8) 8)

You'll have a great time Steve, it is a beautiful walk, very special part of the world.

I think both the guided and un-guided walks tend to book quickly for that time of year, so don't leave to late to book.

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Ant on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:25 pm

I would be suprised if it isnt already fully booked. It used to be that you needed to book about 12months ahead (for both the guided and freedom walks).

Just make sure you take plenty of rain protection for yourself and your gear!

Ant.
Ant

Postby SteveGriffin on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:52 pm

Matt,
Andre has the answer in 1. Hot showers, real beds with a roof over them and food that you don't have to carry or prepare.

Creature comforts!
Steve
SteveGriffin

Postby Matt. K on Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:49 pm

What is it with you guys? Backpacks, freeze dried food, sleeping bags and light weight Golden jappara tents is the way to go. You guys need to spend some time in the Army and get toughened up. :wink:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby SteveGriffin on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:08 pm

I'll have you know that I am very comfortable being a wimp.

I am much better than my wife though - her idea of camping is a 4 star hotel 8)
Steve
SteveGriffin

Postby smac on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:17 pm

My wife thinks we are "roughing it" when the hotel doesn't have a mini bar!
'Tis better to have loved and lust than never to have lust at all.
smac

Postby Manta on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:30 pm

Some of the most beautiful country on the planet. Excellent excuse to go back there. Take that as an "I'm interested", Steve.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby MHD on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:13 pm

IMHO there are better places in NZ that are free...

I walked the Cascade saddle and that was amazing (pity I only had a 2MP PS at the time)
Some images:
Dart Glacier
Dart Valley

NZ rock very hard... BUT I like to walk in places where most others dont (ie there are a lot of walkers on Milford track)
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby SteveGriffin on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:17 pm

Smac,
is there such a thing as a hotel without a minibar?????? Sounds down right aweful to me - can't believe that they are still in business!

Manta,
we nead to speak.

MHD
This is exactly the sort of comment that I was soliciting. Have you done the Milford Track as well, if you have can you rate them comparitavily??
Steve
SteveGriffin

Postby Manta on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:40 pm

SteveGriffin wrote:Manta, we nead to speak.

You know I can't do that without a pint of Kilkenny in my hand but, okay, if you insist.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby radar on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:07 pm

Steve,

SteveGriffin wrote:This is exactly the sort of comment that I was soliciting. Have you done the Milford Track as well, if you have can you rate them comparitavily??

NZ is a trampers heaven, really. You can't go wrong wherever you go. Sure the Milford is busy but it is spectacular. Once you get going, people spread out and you get to enjoy your solitude.

I've also done the Routeburn, Greenstone, Holyford(sp??) and Gillespie pass and a few on the north island. Out of those, the Gillespie pass walk is awesome. It is fairly hard, but well worth it. Because it is hard and not as well known, you get a lot less people. Scenery is spectacular, you are in the middle of Mt Aspiring Nat Park. You can do it on your own or in a small group. To give you a taste, have a look at the info here:
http://www.wildwalks.co.nz/gillespierabbit.htm

Have fun and I'll be looking for the picts in Feb :wink:

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby MHD on Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:35 am

You are quite correct SG... I can not comment on the walks comparitively...

I would *Love* to do the walk, but I guess I like to pick my times to walk and the idea of booking a walk does not apeal to me... So please do not take my commenting as ruibbishing the track...

One thing I learnt about NZ is that the song that originates from it is true to the country: four seasons in one day... I was walking it Mt Cook National Park in January (not even very high, only 1700m) and I got snowed on... and we were walking over a very heavy snow pack... Fortunately this was a two day walk (one day up to the Hut, one day down) so the nasty weather was not to bad (but could be dangerous for unfamiliar parties, I had done this walk before)

IF I were to organise a photo/tramp trip in NZ I would do a number of small walks (2 to 4 days) instead of one big walk to get a variety.... For example the Mt Cook area is different to the Mt Aspiring area which is different to Milford... And I could not bear going to NZ and missing out on Glaciers...

Some thumnail examples:
Mueller Hut, Mt cook area
Franz Joseph Glacier, west coast
Key Peak, overlooking the Holyford Valley (Milford)

That said... any trip to NZ is a good one!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby gecko on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:16 am

Hi Steve

Planning this sort of trip is half the fun.
We have a giant map of New Zealand mounted on the wall of our dining room and we are constantly looking at it and planning our next trip/sojourn....

I have been fortunate to have climbed, tramped and paddled in many locations in the South Island. Some ideas to whet the appetitie:

1. Routeburn track (I've done this multiple times cos it is so good - even baby Gecko has done it). Beautiful scenery, good huts, not too demanding. Make a loop by walking the Greenstone or Caples tracks (Caples is my pick).

2. Keppler track - great loop walk that has everything - lake, mountain, river and forest. Easy logistics. A good introductory walk. I've guided school groups on this.

3. Rees/Dart valley - mmmmmm nice or as MHD has suggested go over Cascade Saddle and get views of Mt Aspiring and Dart glacier etc...

4. Humpridge track - new and different. Helo transport of packs an option here.

5. Siberia Valley - aka Wilkin Young Circuit. Had the valley to ourselves for a whole week a few years back - brilliant. Drop off into valley by cessna (whimps) or take the jetboat and walk the last few k's into the valley itself. River crossing skills may be necessary if not using jet boat pickups.

6. Huxley valley - quiet place to avoid the crowds.

7. Arthur's pass village - lots of day walks

8. Wanaka - lots of day walk options amongst other things

9. Mt Cook - great for climbers, not a lot for walkers. Muller hut has been recently refurbished (see photos in earlier thread). Get up early to see the dawn - a must do. Small peaks behind the hut are easy climbs that don't require special equipment, take care though. Wander up the Hooker Valley... etc

I'm rambling now, eyes misting over....

Gecko
Nikon D70, SB600, Benbo Trekker, LSII, KingPano and a lot to learn!
gecko

Postby Ant on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:38 am

You guys are making me homesick. I come from that end of NZ. I think it is all good advice so far. I would make the comment that there is a reason why people pay a small fortune to walk the Milford Track. It is spectacular. I have also done the Routeburn several times (when is was a free track).

A lot is going to depend on your level of fitness and how much you like being "away from it all". I still remember my legs burning from the start of the Greenstone (and that was 20yrs ago!).

Ant.
Ant

Postby gecko on Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:49 pm

A friend borrowed some of our gear to use on a guided walk on the Routeburn and retured it on the weekend. They had a great time.

If you want to do a guided walk, the Milford gets booked out very early. Perhaps condsider the Routeburn as a good back up.

Alternatively, Air NZ is doing some smazing deals at the moment with cheap campervan hire thrown in. Consider doing a touring holiday with short walks at various places:

Eg Fly into Christchurch, visit Port Hills and cafes of Lyttleton, if visiting ont eh weekend, check out the 'arts district' very nice.

Mt Cook - short walks, Mueller hut, glaciers etc

Queenstown - lots of things to see along the way

Fiordland - base yourself at Te Anau for a 2-3 days and sample the delights of tramping in world heritage areas....

Wanaka - is this heaven? Lots of options here.

West coast glaciers (Fox/Franz Joseph) - take a short walk on a glacier or pay $$$ for helo ride

Arthur's pass - cosy alpine village with more short walks than you can throw a kiwi at. Easy access back to Christchurh.

This would be a nice 10-14 day trip and a good insight into the South Island.

The top of the South Island also has lots and lots to see - Marlborough region wines, the sounds, Able tasman national park, Kharangi (not the right spelling) national park, the buller river....more wineries...
:lol:

I'm already planning my next trip (2 little geckos on the next one!!!)

Cheers

Gerard
Nikon D70, SB600, Benbo Trekker, LSII, KingPano and a lot to learn!
gecko

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas