QLD Members: Okay lets getting organised for the next meet..

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Best day in September for a QLD mini meet?

Saturday the 17th
13%
Sunday the 18th
75%
Saturday the 24th
13%
Sunday the 25th
No votes

Total votes : 8

Postby Atorie on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:36 pm

We need to work out the following:

What?
When?
Where?

Put in your suggestions and ideas and lets get this rolling and ready to go on BigPix return from the UK.

Here's my ideas:

I can give a PP tutorial/tips/tricks (I believe elffinarts has also offered this so we have two brains to pick)

I can bring along my Sypder2Pro for any members who require hardware calibrated monitors (ie. all those who missed out last meet)

I now have a portable studio setup (well almost) I have a de-mountable backdrop support which I can bring along so we can talk BP into giving us some of his tips.

or do we want a location meet for a shoot?
Last edited by Atorie on Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

Postby Dargan on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:41 pm

If we can use John Lomas of BCG and get the Kelvin Grove Primary School site for an evening I think that would be a good central place to visit. I would really like a clear structure and format in place to get the best out of the day or evening though as time can be dissipated very quickly with nothing to show in these events. Simon if you are reading this what are your thoughts?
Last edited by Dargan on Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Atorie on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:50 pm

Dargan wrote: I would relly like a clear structure and format in place to get the best out of the day or evening though as time can be dissipated very quickly with nothing to show in these events.

I agree, this would be very advantageous and we could even spilt into smaller groups for different tutorials in the areas members need help in the most.
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

Postby TonyH on Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:28 pm

I'm a new member located in Brisbane. I'd like to come along to a meet if that's ok? What costs etc are generally involved? Is there normally a purpose for the meeting or just a get together?

Always looking for extra tips for the use of my D70

Regards

Tony
TonyH

Postby Manta on Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:09 pm

Yep - I'm here guys.

I'll bring along the cleaning gear for anyone who wants to have a crack at sensor cleaning or take some methanol home with them to do it there. (BYO Sealable Container!!!) I'm saving some for you Artorie seeing our previous plans went awry.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I'm not happy about the dust situation in the BCG meeting rooms (if that's where we end up having the meet) in order to do an effective clean. May end up worse than when we started but, hey, it's up to the individual. I'm more than happy to talk people through the process and provide the utensils. :lol:

As far as topics go, I'm just as keen to sit around and talk tech stuff, do studio lighting shots or get out and about to snap some urban stuff. For me, it's the getting together that's important, regarsless of the reasons.

Oh...welcome Tony and congratulations on your first post. Pop "D70" somewhere in your profile or signature so it's there for all to see in your future posts. :wink:
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Atorie on Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:17 am

Manta wrote:I'll bring along the cleaning gear for anyone who wants to have a crack at sensor cleaning or take some methanol home with them to do it there. (BYO Sealable Container!!!) I'm saving some for you Artorie seeing our previous plans went awry.

Thanks Simon, I know i've got a few dust bunnies in there now, don't know how they got there as i've been quite ill for the past few weeks and haven't been able to go out shooting.. first time in about three weeks was tonight :D
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

Postby big pix on Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:13 pm

Hi all....... I have good news and bad news.......and very good news........

first the good news..... I have extended my stay in the UK till October 4.......

the bad news.....I am still filling cracks and painting..........

the very good news....... I get to spend extra time with my boy......

what started as a can you give me a hand to paint......to a major reno on cracks in walls and around windows and a complete repaint on the interior of a 3 bedroom 2 story house, lots of windows bends and edges, I will be going over to somewhere in France or Spain for a few days before I return home, so if the weather is kind I should get a few good holiday snaps........

Don't wait for me to have a mini meet, just do it, I am sure we can all get together before Xmas or for Xmas drinks somewhere in Brisbane, now that would be a good excuse for a DSLR Brisbane Xmas Party, maybe at the end of November.......check your diaries.....and come up with a date....I should be finished painting by then......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Geoff M on Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:49 pm

Hi all,

I am also fairly new to this forum and indeed using the the D70s. Please count me in on a meet. What, when, where? Just let me know!

Geoff
Geoff M

Postby Atorie on Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:31 am

Well since BP wont be back till October lets plan a meet in mid to late September i'm thinking either Sat 17th, Sun 18th, Sat 24th or Sun 25th.

Which date is more preferable, in fact i'll edit my first post to include a poll.
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

Postby Troppo on Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:54 am

Hi Atorie, count me in, i can make it any time and really look forward to the meet, so many things to learn... pp sounds good, studio sounds good... cleaning sounds good. Meeting lots of people and having a glass of wine sounds fantastic.

If you are looking for a venue, i can make our offices available on weekends, lots of rooms and place to spit if needed, we could have a studio area, a pp area or what ever. Office is in Springwood and i can guarantee that there is less than 6,000,000 spectron of dust per square inch :roll:

Troppo
Stand on the shoulders of giants when ever possible, the view is extraodinary
Troppo

Postby Troppo on Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:57 am

Saturday 24 of September may not be a good choise...Sydney people (and some Brisbanites) would have difficulty understanding this but...It's the AFL GRAND FINAL yeh yeh yeh

Troppo
Troppo

Postby Luke Smith on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:14 am

My bucks party is on the 17th, and my wedding on the 24th... so I'm pretty much out for both these weekends :(

Really want to see this take off tho!
D70s, 18-70, SB800, Nikkormat FTn, CP4500, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Sigma 135-400 APO, Lensbabies 2.0, Brian's Hot Tub, Lack of talent, etc.
Luke Smith

Postby Atorie on Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:45 pm

Troppo wrote:Hi Atorie, count me in, i can make it any time and really look forward to the meet, so many things to learn... pp sounds good, studio sounds good... cleaning sounds good. Meeting lots of people and having a glass of wine sounds fantastic.

If you are looking for a venue, i can make our offices available on weekends, lots of rooms and place to spit if needed, we could have a studio area, a pp area or what ever. Office is in Springwood and i can guarantee that there is less than 6,000,000 spectron of dust per square inch :roll:

Troppo

That would be an excellent venue Troppo, thanks for the offer as Springwood is right on the Pacific Hwy it makes it an easy location to find hopefully accessible to all members. What do our other members think about this location?
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

Postby JordanP on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:48 pm

I'd be keen to catch up - just need to check dates
Craig
JordanP

Postby Byron on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:16 pm

Any chance of making this event one evening mid week? I work in Brisbane Tuesday - Thursday only, so Tuesday 13th - Thursday 15th are good for me.

Springwood is ideal.

Tamara
Byron

Postby Dargan on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:56 pm

Sounds like a few problems with that weekend time. What about the Thursday 15th evening suggested by Byron. I have an evening commitment on the 13th and could get to the spot by 8.30-8.45pm but the action might be over by then. As I said before we could arrange to use the Kelvin Grove spot with John Lomas although I am quite happy to go with the Springwood idea, just thinking of Byron and her work commitments.
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Atorie on Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:09 pm

Dargan wrote:Sounds like a few problems with that weekend time. What about the Thursday 15th evening suggested by Byron. I have an evening commitment on the 13th and could get to the spot by 8.30-8.45pm but the action might be over by then. As I said before we could arrange to use the Kelvin Grove spot with John Lomas although I am quite happy to go with the Springwood idea, just thinking of Byron and her work commitments.

Thursday the 15th is okay by me how about everybody else?

Troppo can we still use your office space on a thursday night?
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

Postby Geoff M on Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:19 am

Thursday evening is good for me, Springwood or Kelvin Grove as a location will also be OK

Geoff
Geoff M

Postby Cyrus on Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:30 am

I'm keen to attend one of these meetings, although my work roster changes regularly and some times i have to travel with little notice so it would be a waste of time me suggesting a date that works for me today when it may not be available to me later.

Having said that I merely wanted to make my interest known and if I can make it I certainly will.

Cyrus

P.S. I am a Canon and Sony imposter so prepare your best Canon jokes! :wink:
It is more important to click with people than to click the shutter.
Alfred Eisenstaedt - father of photojournalism
Cyrus

Postby Troppo on Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:48 am

Thursday is good for me also

Troppo
Troppo

Postby Troppo on Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:02 am

The office is available any time after working hours. it is a house converted to offices, so lots of different rooms and a board room and white board for Michael and Manta to do their thing.

Address is 2 Athena Grove, Springwood (just off the freeway and close to Ikea)
Troppo
Troppo

Postby JordanP on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:02 am

weekdays are no good for me
Craig
JordanP

Postby Manta on Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:08 pm

Troppo wrote:...so lots of different rooms and a board room and white board for Michael and Manta to do their thing.

Goodness, that sounds a bit sordid.... :shock:

Address and venue style sounds terrific but I'll have to pass on the weekday option. Too many other commitments on weeknights.

Sorry.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
Manta

Postby Troppo on Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:18 pm

As you are aware Simon, you Micheal and Steve were so good together i could only stand there and watch 8)

Troppo
Troppo

Postby Dargan on Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:43 pm

Just adding up members for the 15th at Springwood 2 Athena Grove, that includes Atorie, Simon, Byron, Troppo, Luke Smith (pre wediing white curve presentation!! :D :D ), Me,

and Bago(7 members) maybe Cyrus, No go to JordanP, probably not Manta,

and if we commit to this probably others who have read but not commmitted so far.

On the night we would have

A sensor clean demo (Simon?)
A photoshop action or discussion (?)
General chat on one aspect; eg macro, using P or manual in the D70

That would take up all the time I guess. I suggest for the sake of comment 7pm - 9.30pm. Somenone to bring a laptop, I guess the rest of us to bring our gear as part of the chat.
How's that for format?

If we do this we could also discuss on that night a weekend day meet where others could attend, like the Breakfast Creek Hotel meet. We could have lunch, a chat, and a session afterwards on a chosen topic(s). We might also explore further attendance at BCG Digital venue.

Any comments?
Last edited by Dargan on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PPOK
Dargan

Postby bago100 on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:02 pm

The 15th sounds good to me also
Pencil me in please Dargan and thanks for taking the time to try to organise this
Cheers
Graham
bago100

Postby big pix on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:42 pm

Dargan wrote:If we do this we could also discuss on that night a weekend day meet where others could attend, like the Breakfast Creek Hotel meet. We could have lunch, a chat, and a session afterwards on a chosen topic(s). We might also explore furtherjavascript:emoticon(':P') attendance at BCG Digital venue.

Any comments?

........maybe this should be a session first...... then lunch.....or a xmas meet.....':lol:'
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
big pix

Postby Atorie on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:51 pm

Dargan wrote:A photoshop action or discussion (?)

As far as photoshop goes, I'll prepare something but what do other members feel they need help on. What level do you feel you are on?

or another idea would be to bring along a photo that has potential but you can't quite PP it the way you want.

I'll bring my laptop (does anyone have access to an LCD projector (mine needs a new bulb, and at $595 I cant justify it right now).
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

Postby Dargan on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:54 pm

I probably will be able to get the projector (use of)

Suggested photoshop
1.Two workflows simple and sophisticated or
2. Work through an action or
3. Select member images (2 or 3) and discuss treatment
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Atorie on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:36 pm

Dargan wrote:I probably will be able to get the projector (use of)

Suggested photoshop
1.Two workflows simple and sophisticated or
2. Work through an action or
3. Select member images (2 or 3) and discuss treatment

Sounds good to me, as long as it has an RBG input it should be fine... I might bring one of my LCDs as a backup.

I'll bring along my Intuos3 so other members can have a play with a graphics tablet and I can show them its usefulness.
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

Postby Troppo on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:05 am

Atorie and Dargan, doin a great job, it all sounds good to me and all your suggestions are in line with what i would like to do so, lets go.

Troppo
Troppo

Postby Manta on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:57 pm

Dargan wrote:Just adding up members for the 15th at Springwood 2 Athena Grove, that includes Atorie, Simon, Byron, Troppo, Luke Smith (pre wediing white curve presentation!! ), Me,

and Bago(7 members) maybe Cyrus, No go to JordanP, probably not Manta,

Small newsflash Dargan: "Simon" and "Manta" are merely two of the many personalities of the same scrambled person. Neither of them, nor any of his other alter egos, can make it to a weeknight mini-meet. :?
(Oh,oh, talking about myself in the third person again... where are my pills??)

Simon/Manta/Elvis/The Photographer on the Grassy Knoll/etc/etc
Simon
Manta

Postby Troppo on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:25 pm

Simon hu Manta hu Simon, who ever you are, i think you are sniffing too much of the Lens cleaning Birdy gave you.

But your spirits will be sadly missed, maybe Steve can do the cleaning demo, i remember most of it but i would not want to take responsibility, maybe i can try it on someone else's camera :twisted:

Troppo
Troppo

Postby big pix on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:27 pm

Troppo wrote:Simon hu Manta hu Simon, who ever you are, i think you are sniffing too much of the Lens cleaning Birdy gave you.

But your spirits will be sadly missed, maybe Steve can do the cleaning demo, i remember most of it but i would not want to take responsibility, maybe i can try it on someone else's camera :twisted:

Troppo

......ahhhhh.....you have got to love team spirit........sorry guys I will not be at the meet but I will be at the next one.......so lets not leave it tooooo long......
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby Dargan on Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:34 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: AAAARRRGGGHHH late night posts will do it all the time Manta sorry Simon oops

So who of your multiple personalities isn't coming Simon or Manta?? I just want one of you there in spirit.
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Manta on Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:47 am

We'll ALL be there in spirit Dargan. Especially if you arrange the tripods in a pentagram and slaughter a 300D as a sacrifice...

:lol:
Simon
Manta

Postby Cyrus on Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:49 pm

Just to update my availabilty for the 15th, I'm upgrading myself from a "maybe" to a "very positive probably"! :wink:

Oh yeah, I have a laptop as well which I can bring unless you have somebody else already providing theirs.

Totally looking forward to it.

Cyrus
It is more important to click with people than to click the shutter.
Alfred Eisenstaedt - father of photojournalism
Cyrus

Postby Oneputt on Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:02 pm

I have just found this thread and will be there if the date finally chosen suits. As I have to come down from the Sunshine Coast mid week would not suit but centrally in Brissie somewhere would.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Dargan on Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:19 pm

So .. I go ahead and book the projector for the 15th at the following address at say 7pm?
Address is 2 Athena Grove, Springwood (just off the freeway and close to Ikea)

People bring gear along for discussion and exchange (Cyrus to bring Laptop as stated)
PS session is conducted
Cleaning gear is taken and maybe a sensor clean demo
We have a chat and the time flies by
AND ...I bring the bottle of bubbly (Moet courtesy of Birddog)
We could order some Chinese in?

Naturally a photo is taken and Talent Consent Forms are signed prior to posting on this site apres ski ..

(Simomanta is that a new avatar of yours? That is a seriously cool statement of power and speed if so.)

Anything else we need to determine?
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Oneputt on Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:38 pm

OK I give in on this one, but by having a mid week date you automatically rule out those of us who cannot get to town during the working week.

Oneputt

Postby Manta on Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:56 pm

Dargan wrote:Cleaning gear is taken and maybe a sensor clean demo

As I can't make it, the cleaning gear may find it hard to get there. Someone else will have to supply or do a demo with their own stuff.

Dargan wrote:AND ...I bring the bottle of bubbly (Moet courtesy of Birddog)

Hmmm... hope you all enjoy it. :cry:

Dargan wrote:(Simomanta is that a new avatar of yours? That is a seriously cool statement of power and speed if so.)

Yes it is Dargan - taken at last year's Amberley airshow (not by me I'm afraid - though I did add the clouds afterwards). My late brother was an F-111 pilot and instructor and I love the beasts with a passion.

"Simomanta" has quite a ring to it...
Simon
Manta

Postby Manta on Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:05 pm

Oneputt wrote:OK I give in on this one, but by having a mid week date you automatically rule out those of us who cannot get to town during the working week.

Agreed Oneputt - by far the majority have family and work commitments during the week but are available on weekends. It may mean a bit of a drive for some to attend but a full blown minimeet including lunch and a photo shoot would surely be worth it. Interested to hear form other members from the region that we haven't heard from yet regarding this matter.

:D
Simon
Manta

Postby JordanP on Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:17 pm

Manta wrote:
Oneputt wrote:OK I give in on this one, but by having a mid week date you automatically rule out those of us who cannot get to town during the working week.

Agreed Oneputt - by far the majority have family and work commitments during the week but are available on weekends. It may mean a bit of a drive for some to attend but a full blown minimeet including lunch and a photo shoot would surely be worth it. Interested to hear form other members from the region that we haven't heard from yet regarding this matter.

:D

Definitley weekend for me - full blown mini meet sounds great.
Craig
JordanP

Postby Oneputt on Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:44 pm

My mistake. I thought the 15th was the middle of the week :oops: I can certainly come on a weekend and that is the point that I was trying to make.

Just checked a calendar and accoirding to it the 15th is a Thursday. I will never be able to make an event midweek. :cry:

Oneputt

Postby Troppo on Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:18 am

There are good points for both, from my point of view, i look forward to a midweek meet, but i can't see why we would not run a weekend meet immediately after or before the mid week meet and people can should to come to either or both. The theme will be set.

Troppo
Troppo

Postby Oneputt on Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:19 am

Full blown mini meet on a weekend? Great I would be in that. :D

Oneputt

Postby Manta on Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:26 am

Oneputt wrote:My mistake. I thought the 15th was the middle of the week :oops: I can certainly come on a weekend and that is the point that I was trying to make.

Ummm... the 15th IS the middle of a week (Thursday). :lol:
That is the date decided upon despite the poll showing 100% preference for a weekend. Unfortunately, this means the majority of forum members in the region probably can't make it which is a shame.
Simon
Manta

Postby Manta on Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:36 am

Troppo wrote:There are good points for both, from my point of view, i look forward to a midweek meet, but i can't see why we would not run a weekend meet immediately after or before the mid week meet and people can should to come to either or both. The theme will be set.

Troppo

I'd be in that.
Simon
Manta

Postby Dargan on Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:39 pm

It doesn't worry me either way.

The problem is that the place at 2 Athena Grove, Springwood was available in the week and where would we go if the meet was on the weekend? I recall that Byron works in Brisbane during the week and wished for a weekday meet so I went with that. Someone else was getting married on the weekend identified? If the majority cannot attend then I am happy to go for the weekend but can we decide where that would be? I think we will have enough to occupy ourselves even if we just sit and chat.

The digital meets of BCG are always available for the week time meetings anyway.
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Manta on Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:34 pm

Troppo wrote:If you are looking for a venue, i can make our offices available on weekends, lots of rooms and place to spit if needed, we could have a studio area, a pp area or what ever. Office is in Springwood and i can guarantee that there is less than 6,000,000 spectron of dust per square inch :roll:

We can't please everyone but from the Jacques' post (above), venue shouldn't be a problem on weekends either, provided it was still okay at his end.

I MAY be able to briefly drop in on the 15th to say gidday but it would only be a very quick visit between taxi service drop-offs for the kids.

We'll just have to have another meet so the rest of the gang can turn up - Oneputt, BigPix, Cricketfan, Boxerboy, SteveB, leigh999, JordanP, Spooky, etc, etc, plus all the new members.
Simon
Manta

Next

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast