Mentor

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Mentor

Postby Blackspear on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:38 am

Hi everyone, I am looking for a mentor that can teach and guide me in Wedding photography, I have an absolute passion for it, so much so that I have been flying to Mackay and shooting alongside a friend of mine who owns a wedding photography business: Adrian of Five Star Studios http://www.five-star-studios.com.au

While I am very grateful to Adrian for allowing me to shoot alongside him, the only downfall is it is becoming too expensive for me to keep flying, so I am trying to find someone on the Gold Coast or Brisbane that I can photograph alongside every Saturday for the next 6 to 12 months plus, someone that is very good in their work that I can build up a relationship with and learn the right way (like what Adrian has been teaching me).

I am not looking at this costing the mentor anything at all, simply me doing this for free. When I have shot alongside Adrian, the brides have been very happy to have additional free photos shot at different angles, Adrian simply notified the bride about me when confirming details just prior to the wedding day.

I own two identical Nikon digital camera setups:

2 x Nikon D200 10.2MP Digital SLR cameras.
2 x Nikkor 18 to 200mm VR lenses.
2 x Nikon SB800 Flash units.
6 x 2GB Compact Flash Cards, 3 for each camera.
3 lots of batteries for both the cameras and flash units.

If anyone knows of someone that would be prepared to take on this role I would really appreciate it. A few weddings that I have already taken can be seen on my site http://www.twophotographers.com.au

Cheers

Craig. :D
Blackspear

Postby Geoff on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:34 am

Welcome to the forum craig - u have a nice setup already which is great. Good luck with finding a willing wedding photog in your area, I feel that you will probably be lucky and find what you are looking for. Geoff's hit prediction for today. For more detailed info call 0055 G E O F F :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Blackspear on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:03 pm

Geoff wrote:Welcome to the forum craig - u have a nice setup already which is great. Good luck with finding a willing wedding photog in your area, I feel that you will probably be lucky and find what you are looking for. Geoff's hit prediction for today. For more detailed info call 0055 G E O F F :)

Thanks for the welcome Geoff, and I'm sure hoping so. I like to teach/advise on computer security at http://www.wilderssecurity.com, I’ve done many Tutorials on various software:

NOD32 Antivirus Installation and Tweaking

NOD32 Enterprise Edition Installation

Look n Stop Firewall Installation

Computer Security – Where do I start?

So with my experience in this field I know there are others like me that are prepared to share their wealth of knowledge, and having found Adrian are hoping for more of the same with a local Wedding Photographer.

Cheers :D
Blackspear

Postby Glen on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:06 pm

Welcome Craig. I am sure you will find someone, though you may have to hang around a little while so people see your request and possibly to get known. Some nice shots on your website. Good luck
Glen

Postby Blackspear on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:09 pm

Glen wrote:Welcome Craig. I am sure you will find someone, though you may have to hang around a little while so people see your request and possibly to get known. Some nice shots on your website. Good luck

Thanks for the welcome Glen.

Blackspear

Postby JordanP on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:14 pm

Welcome Craig - you have some nice shots there. I shoot weddings on the North Coast NSW - bout an hour or two down the road. I'm only just ramping it up now so I'm only shooting 1 or 2 a month. Couldn't keep you busy every weekend yet.

You are bound to find someone closer to home who is shooting every weekend.

Cheers,
Craig
JordanP

Postby Blackspear on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:27 pm

JordanP wrote:Welcome Craig

Thank you Craig.

JordanP wrote:you have some nice shots there.

I was happy with the wedding shots, just not the camera/flash; the flash was governing down the speed of the camera on bright sunny days. As the D200 was so new, not even Teds Camera House knew why, ended up reading the entire instruction book from front to back (yeah I know, men don't read instruction manuals, but I had to this time :wink:) and found a single sentence about “High Speed Sync”, and bingo, problem solved.

JordanP wrote:I shoot weddings on the North Coast NSW - bout an hour or two down the road. I'm only just ramping it up now so I'm only shooting 1 or 2 a month. Couldn't keep you busy every weekend yet.
So do you have a site up and running?

JordanP wrote:You are bound to find someone closer to home who is shooting every weekend.

We are getting closer to home than Mackay :wink: :D

Blackspear

Postby JordanP on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:32 pm

Blackspear wrote:
JordanP wrote:I shoot weddings on the North Coast NSW - bout an hour or two down the road. I'm only just ramping it up now so I'm only shooting 1 or 2 a month. Couldn't keep you busy every weekend yet.
So do you have a site up and running?

A site up and walking :roll: .... that's how I would put it
http://www.jordanphotography.com.au
Craig
JordanP

Postby Blackspear on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:50 pm

JordanP wrote:A site up and walking :roll: .... that's how I would put it

Very nice shots, impressed, and one of the best websites I have seen, there are some horrid ones out there, including one from a local photographer of the year who has a scrolling mouse-over nightmare that all you want to do is look at the photos, you end up chasing your mouse from left to right trying to slow the thing down :roll:

Blackspear

Postby JordanP on Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:42 am

Blackspear wrote:
JordanP wrote:A site up and walking :roll: .... that's how I would put it

Very nice shots, impressed, and one of the best websites I have seen, there are some horrid ones out there, including one from a local photographer of the year who has a scrolling mouse-over nightmare that all you want to do is look at the photos, you end up chasing your mouse from left to right trying to slow the thing down :roll:

Thanks for your encouraging words, but I'm still not happy with it yet
Craig
JordanP

Postby Justin on Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:56 am

I am sure 've seen your photos on pbase...
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Postby Greg B on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:19 am

Hi Craig and welcome to the forum.

I started using NOD32 several months ago after becoming completely fed up with Norton's massive system load.

And I have been very happy with it. But recently, there has been a slight loading problem which I haven't been able to fix so far. And then along you come with a NOD32 tutorial!! Hooray and thank you. I will be reading through it carefully - I suspect the problem won't be unduly difficult.

Cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Blackspear on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:13 am

JordanP wrote:Thanks for your encouraging words, but I'm still not happy with it yet

My pleasure Craig. All and I mean ALL your pages look fantastic, full in appearance but with a minimalist approach, and it looks classy. The only page that looks different to the rest is your initial front page, which when compared to the rest looks a little empty.

Other than that I wouldn’t do much to it at all. Have a look at what Google brings up under "Brisbane Wedding Photographers", your site would be one of the very best if not the best, and it’s very easy to use, as well as smart. People want to get to your pictures without hassle, and pricing, and then contact information, and that's it, you have these bases covered.

Blackspear

Postby Blackspear on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:16 am

Justin wrote:I am sure 've seen your photos on pbase...

I hadn't, very nice Justin. Thank you.

Blackspear

Postby Justin on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:21 am

Um, no I meant do you have a pbase gallery?
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Postby Blackspear on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:22 am

Greg B wrote:Hi Craig and welcome to the forum.

Thank you Greg.

Greg B wrote:I started using NOD32 several months ago after becoming completely fed up with Norton's massive system load.

I would suggest sending me an email with the subject line “Norton removal and reinstallation instructions”, this because unless you used the 3 Norton removal tools after you uninstalled Norton trough add and remove programs, then you will have a lot of Norton still hanging around in your registry causing grief.

Greg B wrote:And I have been very happy with it. But recently, there has been a slight loading problem which I haven't been able to fix so far.

See answer above.

Greg B wrote:And then along you come with a NOD32 tutorial!! Hooray and thank you. I will be reading through it carefully - I suspect the problem won't be unduly difficult.

My pleasure, it has had 420,000 hits against it in just on 1 year, so there was a need for it...

Blackspear

Postby Blackspear on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:26 am

Justin wrote:Um, no I meant do you have a pbase gallery?

Sorry, no I don't, I've been placing my work on the website, however as weddings come along, I'll slowly split of the other stuff and will look at something like pbase.

Blackspear

Postby Greg B on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:35 am

Thank you for the offer Craig, but I utilised all the removal tools and I believe all vestiges of NAV have been removed.

The problem - which only started after a few months of trouble free operation - is that NOD doesn't run properly during system startup. Something can't communicate with something, I am not at home at the moment and can't recall exactly. However, if I wait until everything has loaded and the startup is complete, NOD will then load, no problem.

I have tried reinstalling (so that it attempts to start in the prescribed way), and alternatively having it start from start in the startup menu. No doubt there is some little tweak which will fix it, hopefully your tutorial will reveal all.

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Blackspear on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:40 am

Greg B wrote:I have tried reinstalling (so that it attempts to start in the prescribed way), and alternatively having it start from start in the startup menu. No doubt there is some little tweak which will fix it, hopefully your tutorial will reveal all.

If it doesn't, then please start a new thread up at Wilders on the Official NOD32 Forum and we'll help you track down the issue.

By chance, are you using a Wireless connection? If so change your connection type in the NOD32 Control Centre> Update> update> Setup> Advanced - from LAN to Dialup.

Blackspear

Postby Greg B on Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:26 pm

Not using wireless, but thanks for the suggestion re a thread at Wilders if necessary - greatly appreciated.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast