Sunset Pano... first try

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Sunset Pano... first try

Postby neroli on Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:17 am

From tonight. My first serious attempt at a pano.

4 shots merged in PS CS2. I'm really pleased with the way PS handled this.

Went out to the Port of Brisbane tonight and took this looking back up the river towards the city.

C&C appreciated.

Thanks
Judy

Last edited by neroli on Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neroli

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:25 am

Gorgeous clouds, the exposure seems a little uneven, but perhaps that is just what it was like when shooting, not a result of the PP. It's a pity the water is a little 'dull' more reflections or some foreground interest may have helped.

Overall a great first go!
Alpha_7

Postby Grev on Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:28 am

Wow, I really like this!! :shock:

Panoramics have always scared me (for doing it, not looking at other people's work). :lol:
Grev

Postby marcotrov on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:58 am

Well captured Judy you have done well in photomerge. Great job :)
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby xerubus on Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:11 am

a good shot. maybe a little bit more contrast and a slight saturation to give it more oomph.. but that could just be my monitor at work. perhaps have a try with autostich or pano factory as i can see a diagonal join in the right hand side of the shot....

nicely done...

cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby stubbsy on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:03 pm

Judy. This is a great first try - look forward to more.

And a little point: notice how hard it is to read this reply. That's because the forum sofware makes the whole thread as wide as your post so if you post a really wide photo then subsequent posts can only be read by scrolling left and right. I understand why you posted at this size since your image needs to be viewed at a reasonable size to appreciate it. My suggestion is to post a thumbnail linked to a large version which means we don't have to keep scrolling the post left to right, but still get to see your lovely image nice and large. :wink: Here is a thread describing how to have thumbnails with links if you need the info.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby neroli on Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:56 pm

Alpha_7 wrote:Gorgeous clouds, the exposure seems a little uneven, but perhaps that is just what it was like when shooting, not a result of the PP. It's a pity the water is a little 'dull' more reflections or some foreground interest may have helped.

Overall a great first go!

Thanks for the great comments Alpha.

This turned out just like it was - the sunset seemed to glow just in the middle, and I rather like the darker extremes as it seems to 'enclose' things nicely so I deliberately went real wide to include the darker sky :).

I took other shots with some rocky shore in the front, but then ended up with more water and less sunset so didn't include them for the pano.

Thanks
Judy
Last edited by neroli on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neroli

Postby neroli on Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:58 pm

Grev wrote:Wow, I really like this!! :shock:

Panoramics have always scared me (for doing it, not looking at other people's work). :lol:

Thanks for the kind words Grev.

This was a very painless experience :D. hmmm, we'll see how future efforts go.

All good fun though, don't hesitate to have a go yourself. I don't have any fancy gear, just a cheapie tripod. I did remember reading to use manual settings though, and I'm sure that helped with keeping the exposure the same in all the shots.

Best
Judy
neroli

Postby neroli on Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:59 pm

marcotrov wrote:Well captured Judy you have done well in photomerge. Great job :)
cheers
marco

Thanks Marco - much appreciated!

Cheers
Judy
neroli

Postby neroli on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:03 pm

xerubus wrote:a good shot. maybe a little bit more contrast and a slight saturation to give it more oomph.. but that could just be my monitor at work. perhaps have a try with autostich or pano factory as i can see a diagonal join in the right hand side of the shot....

nicely done...

cheers

Thanks very much for the constructive comments Mark.

The downsized version has lost a bit as far as contrast and saturation go. If I get this printed I'll try a bit more saturation to see how it looks. I think the original has enough contrast though.

I had a quick look at some of the other software ages ago - it all seems very complicated but I'll revisit them sometime soon and try this set of pics. I think they're worth revisiting.

I'm on a Mac, can't remember which programmes suit Macs. Ahhh, another project :D

Cheers
Judy
Last edited by neroli on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neroli

Postby neroli on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:05 pm

stubbsy wrote:Judy. This is a great first try - look forward to more.

And a little point: notice how hard it is to read this reply. That's because the forum sofware makes the whole thread as wide as your post so if you post a really wide photo then subsequent posts can only be read by scrolling left and right. I understand why you posted at this size since your image needs to be viewed at a reasonable size to appreciate it. My suggestion is to post a thumbnail linked to a large version which means we don't have to keep scrolling the post left to right, but still get to see your lovely image nice and large. :wink: Here is a thread describing how to have thumbnails with links if you need the info.

:D :D :D

haha, totally agree - that is soooo annoying.

Thanks for the instructions, I didn't know how to do that. I've amended my post, wallah - easy to read now.

Thanks for the kind comments too, as for more... we'll see :).

Cheers
Judy
neroli

Postby stubbsy on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:13 pm

neroli wrote: :D :D :D

haha, totally agree - that is soooo annoying.

Thanks for the instructions, I didn't know how to do that. I've amended my post, wallah - easy to read now.

Thanks for the kind comments too, as for more... we'll see :).

Cheers
Judy

No worries Judy. It's the least us old hands can do for the newer members :wink:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast